Sign in to follow this  
abenjami

I'm going to liquidate my portfolio

chef   
On 1/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, luvyablue256 said:

Any of you guys investing in weed/cannibis stocks?

I was a startup seed (pun intended) investor in a bay area MM group, potentially being taken public this fsll. 

OILERMAN   
On 12/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, Jamalisms said:

I already pulled an Abenjami on about half of a much (much) smaller portfolio. Only I timed it well.

Tank, baby, tank.

Did you get back in stock funds before Jan when the market sky rocketed and had one of the best Jan's of all time?

I have a story for you guys about timing..... Back on September 25 I liquidated a bunch of money in some stocks because I needed the cash. My parents told me they'd loan me the money and pay it off to them over time so I don't get screwed outta all the interest. A day later, I put that money back into my portfolio and BOOM, less than a week later the market plummeted.

I honestly could not have timed it any better, but then I put that money back into it the next day where if I had waited a week and a half my entire portfolio would be probably 10% higher currently.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

OILERMAN   
8 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I have a story for you guys about timing..... Back on September 25 I liquidated a bunch of money in some stocks because I needed the cash.

I've heard a lot of similar stories including stories right before the great depression when people pulled their money out for some reason and missed the collapse from blind luck 

It's going to be a rolller coaster as long as agent orange is in office. I'm taking some money out of stocks and buying some fixed annuities to supplement my retirement income. Guarantees 2.7% no matter what the market does.  I'm trying to offset the volatility. I might not make as much but I'm officially retired and I want to hang on to most of what I've got.

OILERMAN   

It's always a mistake to base your investment strategy on who the president is. Even a moronic dipshit like Trump

OILERMAN   

I recently put half of my large cash holding into a high yield bond fund(VWEHX:Vanguard High-Yield Corporate’s combination of a relatively cautious approach to high-yield investing, a strong team, and rock-bottom fees continue to support a Morningstar Analyst.) I got the admiral shares so the fees are cheaper. I was a little afraid of the rising interest rates but they have been going up so slowly I don't think it matters. Although I did it at the start of the month yesterday the Fed announced there would be on interest rate raises the rest of the year. 

It's going to pay about 350.00 a month which I plan on dollar cost averaging into a dividend paying ETFs 

There is no telling how much this exponential snowball of wealth will grow 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

It's going to pay about 350.00 a month which I plan on dollar cost averaging into a dividend paying ETFs 

Help me understand this part, please.  

OILERMAN   
13 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Help me understand this part, please.  

Dollar cost averaging means you invest monthly(or whatever time frame) into whatever investment(ETFs are my choice). By doing this you get more shares when the market is down and less shares when the market is up(expensive).

As for the 350.00 from the fund, it's just is another source of monthly income I can use for this strategy. I already use left over money from my(and wife) income each month, quarterly dividends and now this monthly source. 

I buy more shares that pay dividends, the dividends gets bigger which allows me to buy more shares and it keeps growing and growing. At some point the dividends from the investments would pass my working income. 

OILERMAN   

I recently heard Warren Buffett's ownership in Coca Cola(he bought 1 bill in 1988 and has added to it) will pay him an annual dividend equal to what he originally paid in 1988. 

He currently gets 700 mill a year in dividends from Apple shares!

abenjami   
4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I recently put half of my large cash holding into a high yield bond fund(VWEHX:Vanguard High-Yield Corporate’s combination of a relatively cautious approach to high-yield investing, a strong team, and rock-bottom fees continue to support a Morningstar Analyst.) I got the admiral shares so the fees are cheaper. I was a little afraid of the rising interest rates but they have been going up so slowly I don't think it matters. Although I did it at the start of the month yesterday the Fed announced there would be on interest rate raises the rest of the year. 

There is no telling how much this exponential snowball of wealth will grow 

What good is the snowball if you don't spend any of it?

OILERMAN   
45 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Do ETFs require a different portfolio or what?  I have S&P500 unmanaged.

No, you can buy ETFs in a taxable or IRA account. If you're talking about a 401k then you'd be limited to whatever they offer. 

S&P500 is fine though