I'm going to liquidate my portfolio

abenjami

8 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I have a story for you guys about timing..... Back on September 25 I liquidated a bunch of money in some stocks because I needed the cash.

I've heard a lot of similar stories including stories right before the great depression when people pulled their money out for some reason and missed the collapse from blind luck 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jfc are you a boomer? Here...    

This is one of the problems.... It could go higher for much longer and/or when you get in it could go lower much longer..... You have to guess right twice

Way back when Bush was president he signed this https://theweek.com/articles/767184/how-george-bush-broke-post-office   Around the same time my house flooded, home insurance doesn't cover fl

Posted Images

It's going to be a rolller coaster as long as agent orange is in office. I'm taking some money out of stocks and buying some fixed annuities to supplement my retirement income. Guarantees 2.7% no matter what the market does.  I'm trying to offset the volatility. I might not make as much but I'm officially retired and I want to hang on to most of what I've got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently put half of my large cash holding into a high yield bond fund(VWEHX:Vanguard High-Yield Corporate’s combination of a relatively cautious approach to high-yield investing, a strong team, and rock-bottom fees continue to support a Morningstar Analyst.) I got the admiral shares so the fees are cheaper. I was a little afraid of the rising interest rates but they have been going up so slowly I don't think it matters. Although I did it at the start of the month yesterday the Fed announced there would be on interest rate raises the rest of the year. 

It's going to pay about 350.00 a month which I plan on dollar cost averaging into a dividend paying ETFs 

There is no telling how much this exponential snowball of wealth will grow 

13 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Help me understand this part, please.  

Dollar cost averaging means you invest monthly(or whatever time frame) into whatever investment(ETFs are my choice). By doing this you get more shares when the market is down and less shares when the market is up(expensive).

As for the 350.00 from the fund, it's just is another source of monthly income I can use for this strategy. I already use left over money from my(and wife) income each month, quarterly dividends and now this monthly source. 

I buy more shares that pay dividends, the dividends gets bigger which allows me to buy more shares and it keeps growing and growing. At some point the dividends from the investments would pass my working income. 

I recently heard Warren Buffett's ownership in Coca Cola(he bought 1 bill in 1988 and has added to it) will pay him an annual dividend equal to what he originally paid in 1988. 

He currently gets 700 mill a year in dividends from Apple shares!

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I recently put half of my large cash holding into a high yield bond fund(VWEHX:Vanguard High-Yield Corporate’s combination of a relatively cautious approach to high-yield investing, a strong team, and rock-bottom fees continue to support a Morningstar Analyst.) I got the admiral shares so the fees are cheaper. I was a little afraid of the rising interest rates but they have been going up so slowly I don't think it matters. Although I did it at the start of the month yesterday the Fed announced there would be on interest rate raises the rest of the year. 

It's going to pay about 350.00 a month which I plan on dollar cost averaging into a dividend paying ETFs 

There is no telling how much this exponential snowball of wealth will grow 

What good is the snowball if you don't spend any of it?

45 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Do ETFs require a different portfolio or what?  I have S&P500 unmanaged.

No, you can buy ETFs in a taxable or IRA account. If you're talking about a 401k then you'd be limited to whatever they offer. 

S&P500 is fine though

44 minutes ago, abenjami said:

What good is the snowball if you don't spend any of it?

Aside from flying 1st class(while my chump cousin and his wife flew coach-lol) to Kauai for 7 days and buying my wife a 2017 Lexus NX with 20k miles in the last year all with straight cash what else would I spend it on? 

24 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Aside from flying 1st class(while my chump cousin and his wife flew coach-lol) to Kauai for 7 days and buying my wife a 2017 Lexus NX with 20k miles in the last year all with straight cash what else would I spend it on? 

I need a newish car. ;)

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Whatever makes you happy.  Better vacations, beach house, strippers and blow!

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, Supdawg said:

Dow is going to 18K... I hope you guys are short :)

Jees, People, do the exact opposite of Supdawg and get rich quick!