2016 NBA off season thread

rns90

There has already been two big trades made today.  Derrick Rose just got traded to the Knicks for Robin Lopez, Justin Holiday, Jerian Grant and Jose Calderon.  That seems an awful lot to give up for a "rental" player who has off field issues and wasn't very good last year.

There's also this related tidbit:

Do it Phil!  Howard, Melo, and Rose on the same team.  What could go wrong?

Of all the major sports offseasons, NBA is probably the best because it's relatively short and compact (draft + July FA activity).  MLB takes too long and for the NFL the time after FA until the draft is sort of a drag.

15 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

And you can usually count on trades which makes it that much more exciting than just FA. Very rarely are there trades (at least of big names) in the NFL and MLB.

What sucks is that I already know the first 2 picks of the draft. But I'm excited for LA getting Ingram but I'm a big fan of Jalen Brown from CAL too.

A little surprised CHI dealt Rose. I think it was a good move but was expecting them to trade just about everyone else and try and build around him.

Rose isnt the player you want to build a team around anymore. The knee injuries killed his career.

8 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Just curious to see if they really clean house and get rid of Butler as well or if they decide to keep him.

They need to rebuild around somebody, the Bulls should keep Butler. Gasol and Noah will probably go elsewhere.

9 hours ago, rns90 said:

Do it Phil!  Howard, Melo, and Rose on the same team.  What could go wrong?

They all deserve one another. Howard couldn't handle the heat in LA, how would he deal in NY? He'll probably go to Dallas instead.

Boston close to trading the 3rd pick to the Sixers for Nerlens Noel.  PHI will draft a G if the deal happens.

Pacers busy again as they make another trade.  This time to the Nets, who trade Thaddeus Young for the 20th overall pick.

14 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Ingram will be no better than Kevin Martin, at under 200 pounds he's too small to have an effective inside game in the NBA.

Ingram is 18 years old Im sure he can add some bulk to his frame. He doesnt have much of an inside game to begin with. He is a shooter. Lakers have their inside game with Randle.

34 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

So basically Ingram will be just like Kobe and shoot under 40% and need to take 30 shots to score 30 points.

Well at least their fans will be used to that!

Anyway, I found BOS draft weird.  They pick Brown which was at least somewhat expected.  It's not like a total shock.  But then they take two draft and stash guys.  I guess they just didn't have the roster space for 3 players.

Thon Maker was just a puzzling pick.  He didn't play basketball last year and there are legit questions about his age.  But he goes 10th to the Bucks.

Oh and ORL got hosed by OKC in the Ibaka trade.  Two useful players +a lotto pick for Ibaka, who might be headed for a decline.

10 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

So basically Ingram will be just like Kobe and shoot under 40% and need to take 30 shots to score 30 points.

How many times did Kobe shoot under 40% in his career?

Ingram is a pretty good comparison to KD. Similar build and very similar play style. I dont think he gets to a KD level but I think he is a good fit for Lakers.

Wizards rumored to be offering Joakim Noah a max contract when he becomes a FA.  Basically, players are going to get PAID with the high spike in salary cap.  If you're trying to fill up a roster and have space it might not be a bad idea to trade for someone with a bad contract (like Greg Monroe).

27 minutes ago, rns90 said:

If you're trying to fill up a roster and have space it might not be a bad idea to trade for someone with a bad contract (like Greg Monroe).

The Bucks are trying to get rid of him, and I'm hoping they trade him to Houston. They tried to trade Howard for him a while back.

On June 24, 2016 at 0:05 AM, Oiler FANatic said:

My god the Laker hate is strong in you. 

He already put on 25 pounds this freshman year at Duke. 

The kid is 18 lmao. He's going to add roughly 20 pounds in the next year or so. 

Ingram shot 41% from the 3 and 62% on his jumpers. 

Get fucking real. 

Also, he's no ball hog like Kobe. 

Mid he shoots 60/40/90 in the pros like college that would be insane. 

You're off your rocker 

19 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

My god the Laker hate is strong in you.

Just not a blind optimist like Lakers fans have become these days. They said how great Russell would be last year, see how that worked out?

23 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Looks like no one can really tell the future even though they would like to think they can.

Difference is, like you said, Lakers fans are being optimists. You're just talking out the side of your neck to agitate Lakers fans who would rather be optimistic than pessimistic.

We can acknowledge the team has sucked the past several years. But we are in no different position than Titans fans. Are you not optimistic about the Titans going forward? Do you not think Mariota could be one of the next great QBs?

That's ok, but Lakers fans (because you're not one) is wrong to see our young talented team as having a bright future?

Smdh...

I'm going to answer some of this.  The point isn't that we're just being assholes to annoy Laker fans.  There is a serious difference of opinion in regards to their players.  Kyle (and you) think that Randle and Russell will be stars. OF and I think they won't be.  I'll freely admit and agree that Russell played alot better in the 2nd half of the year and should improve now that Scott isn't there.  But Randle?  That one the jury is still out.  Oh and I'm not sure how much talent is on there.

But yeah, they should improve if only by getting rid of Scott and some of the other trash on the roster (Nick Young, Hibbert).

A few notes/possible signings:

Joakim Noah will be signing with Knicks for 18 million a year

And Dwight Howard is supposed to be meeting with the Celtics and Hawks.  Celts are favorite to sign him.

Edited by rns90