What a World Series!

IowaOiler

I have to admit that although I am a Cardinals fan, I didn't expect a very interesting World Series this year. I was wrong. Game 3 will go down as the best game by a single hitter in WS history, and although Game 6 started out reminding me of watching a Little League game, it turned out to be amazing. The fact that David Freese grew up just outside St. Louis as a Cardinals fan just makes it that much more awesome.

I do think that even though neither team had dominating pitchers, it proved that pitching is what wins championships. For the most part, the games that each team won were a result of solid pitching efforts by either their starter or bullpen. And with 9 post-season wins, Carpenter has to be the best post-season pitcher playing right now. Winning Game 7 of the WS on 3 days rest is impressive.

It was a heck of a series. Pujols' performance and Thursday night's back and forth bout alone make it a classic. Throw in the fact that it was a seven game series and it's one of the best I've seen a long time.

Although I think game seven was managed very poorly by Ron Washington.

As a Cardinals fan, I was very happy that Washington started Harrison in game 7 rather than Holland. To me, that was the biggest relief after watching Holland shut us down in game 4.

The thing that really annoyed me throughout the series was Rick Sutcliffe and his commentary. It seemed that every time one of the managers made a decision that he didn't approve of, he would hammer them, and he was very hard on La Russa throughout the series. I don't know if he is looking for a manager job somewhere or if it was because he was a Cubbie for most of his career, but it was very perturbing listening to a slightly above average pitcher rip a (now) 3-time WS winning manager about the decisions he was making. No doubt that La Russa screwed up phone-gate, but other than that, he was making the same type of decisions he has been for years. The only thing we didn't see was the pitcher batting 8th.

The Ranger management appears to have put together a very talented group of players, and if they address some of their starting pitching issues, I think they will have another solid chance next year. Rumor's are that they will go after Albert, but I just can't see him leaving the Cardinals (but that may be wishful thinking). If the Cardinals can keep Albert, we will also have Wainwright back next year (who I think is right there with Halladay pitching-wise) and I am hoping Lance Lynn can make the move to the rotation. That would give us Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Lohse, and Lynn as our starting 5, with almost the exact line-up plus Allen Craig will probably start somewhere. Both teams could find themselves back in the WS next year.

Archived