Andrew Luck is overrated

Cyrus

We also thought Manning was surrounded by a ton of talent in Indy. Now we know Manning made the majority of that talent.

That's true to some degree, but the drop off from Manning to Curtis Painter is considerable. Nevermind the fact that the team has lost a ton of offensive lineman to injury. Besides, watch guys like Fleener play. One handed catches over Safeties and burning linebackers in coverage aren't a product of Luck's talent.

You also have to keep in mind the type of offense the Colts run. It is very specific to Manning and he has tweaked it over the years. The WRs run routes a very specific way. On top of that, they didn't train a backup to come in and run the offense the same way. Painter was never coached to really run the offense. Then they brought in KFC last minute -- remember how fantastic he was when he started in TN after a few weeks notice? We looked just as bad as the Colts do right now. Then a rookie VY comes in and goes 8-5, and we make the playoffs the next couple of years.

I think if you had the exact same players on the Colts roster, had a good young QB, and the team went all offseason playing together and learning another offense, then the Colts would be a competitive team. They can't be expected to run a totally different system with bottom of the barrel talent at QB in a matter of days and have success.

You also have to keep in mind the type of offense the Colts run. It is very specific to Manning and he has tweaked it over the years. The WRs run routes a very specific way. On top of that, they didn't train a backup to come in and run the offense the same way. Painter was never coached to really run the offense. Then they brought in KFC last minute -- remember how fantastic he was when he started in TN after a few weeks notice? We looked just as bad as the Colts do right now. Then a rookie VY comes in and goes 8-5, and we make the playoffs the next couple of years.

I think if you had the exact same players on the Colts roster, had a good young QB, and the team went all offseason playing together and learning another offense, then the Colts would be a competitive team. They can't be expected to run a totally different system with bottom of the barrel talent at QB in a matter of days and have success.

I understand your points and agree with them. I think we're getting a little off track though. I don't think the Stanford offense is necessarily dependent on Luck. Obviously the playcalling and gameplan will be tailored to him, but the shift in offensive philosophy and system with the Colts happened over a matter of years. You can't truly develop offenses around individual players in college. The prospects simply aren't around long enough and you're damaging your program because your recruiting classes no longer fit the Junior/Senior QB that leaves. Colleges typically have their offensive system under a coach and recruit players that fit into it.

Stanford will continue to be a heavy rushing team that makes big plays down the field off playaction with TEs regardless of Luck. It's the same thing that Harbaugh brought to the 49ers.

Of course Luck is overrated and the media is 100% the guilty party. NFL fans are quivering at the thought of having Luck go to a team they hate. Entire fan bases are worried Luck will come in and be Rodgers, Manning, Brady, and Brees all wrapped into one for someone else. It's pathetic but not surprising. Some idiot in my fantasy footbal league had Manning as a keeper and found out he was going to be out for the year. He told me "Well, I'm done this year. I'm going to auction off my team and go after Luck in round 1 of next year. I need a stud QB" Even Fantasy owners are infected with this garbage. Welcome to the information age where any moron with internet access can claim to be an expert on any topic they desire.

/end rant

Back on topic. Luck looks like a damn good prospect but that is all he is at this point in time, a prospect.

Archived