Browns hire baseball GM

Face

33 minutes ago, stats said:

While I'm interested, as a statistician, to see how this proceeds, there are major challenges innate to analyzing football plays.  There are so many interactions among players and elements in the progression of a play, isolating and quantifying anything as a truly independent variable (utilized to some degree in "Moneyball" and necessary in most legitimate inferential statistics in general) is tough.  

Video capture technology and AI may be able to push this into reality, but I'm initially skeptical, as football embraced information technology early on (see Landry's Cowboys IIRC), eschewing the very things that Moneyball is attempting to show as unreliable (scouts looking for "the look" and other hueristics in potential players).  That said, let's see what the kid can do.

...This is the Browns, however, so I anticipate the continued burning of Cleveland's eternal flame: the dumpster fire.

Unlike baseball where all the actions are separate, isolated. Football is more akin to weather prediction, chaos theory. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kind of remember starting this thread, with all the Baker Mayfield hoopla.   I hope DePodesta & Sashi Brown get the credit they deserve & aren't just forgotten with John Dorsey get

He could be a complete failure and still be an improvement, so I don't see that there's a risk.

While I'm interested, as a statistician, to see how this proceeds, there are major challenges innate to analyzing football plays.  There are so many interactions among players and elements in the prog

46 minutes ago, apocalypse33 said:

I'm all for it if it's doable. 

yeah i agree, other than this gut though...i just dont know who those guys are. 

if i was a higher up, i'd see what I could do to get a stanford/MIT analytics class to create a project on it. You get at least some meaningful data while hopefully identifying a few very bright candidates to bring in and look in depth for missed opportunities and diamonds in the rough. 

I'd like to laugh, but when I take glance at the standings I can see us "winning" the tie-breaker with the Browns for worst record in the league. Speaking of which, who knew that week 2 loss at the time would come back to benefit us so much?

Here's to hoping Underwood does a better hiring job.

Like others have said, so much of football numbers are tied into other factors, mainly a players supporting cast. In baseball, if a guy hits .320 & 35 dongers, he's a great hitter. If a pitcher has a 2.20 ERA & a K per inning, he's a great pitcher. Period. Perhaps home stadium plays a factor in this but unless it's Colorado it's really a very fractional influence. Being a lefty at Yankee stadium & righty in Boston, yes, things like that have to be factored in. But by & large you know whose a good baseball player by their numbers. Not so in football. You really need to watch the tape.

How many times have we seen a DT basically put up zero stat line yet totally dominate a game? Or a DE get 2 sacks but totally suck? Or a RB have a great year statistically but not really help his team, because the OL was so good? You really do need to watch the tape.

Just now, Face said:

Like others have said, so much of football numbers are tied into other factors, mainly a players supporting cast. In baseball, if a guy hits .320 & 35 dongers, he's a great hitter. If a pitcher has a 2.20 ERA & a K per inning, he's a great pitcher. Period. Perhaps home stadium plays a factor in this but unless it's Colorado it's really a very fractional influence. Being a lefty at Yankee stadium & righty in Boston, yes, things like that have to be factored in. But by & large you know whose a good baseball player by their numbers. Not so in football. You really need to watch the tape.

How many times have we seen a DT basically put up zero stat line yet totally dominate a game? Or a DE get 2 sacks but totally suck? Or a RB have a great year statistically but not really help his team, because the OL was so good? You really do need to watch the tape.

As I said before, you can't assume he won't watch the tape. Even in baseball, no one says scouting isn't valuable, it's pairing the scouting with the data that really gets the best results. A lot of of recent baseball breakouts are due to mechanical adjustments. 

12 minutes ago, Face said:

Yeah I have a few different lingo words for HR's. Some of them can also double as nicknames for your dick.

I believe one of the KC announcers refers to a HR as a "hung dong".  He was also busted a few years ago for carrying weed in an airport.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I believe one of the KC announcers refers to a HR as a "hung dong".  He was also busted a few years ago for carrying weed in an airport.

Good for him. The best was Steve Howe being suspended 9 times for cocaine.

Edited by Face

6 minutes ago, Face said:

Good for him. The best was Steve Howe being suspended 9 times for cocaine.

And they kept on letting him back in and reinstating him.  That was incredible in itself.

• 2 months later...

I'm kind of curious to see how this works out for the Browns. They're getting devastated by the media & the fan base for just letting all 4 FA's walk but it seems like DePodesta is taking a true analytic/Moneyball type approach here. He's letting the FA's walk, getting the compensatory picks, and look like they plan on sucking hard for a year or two while getting a bunch of high picks & the comps, and then having a ton of money to spend 2-3 years from now.

Or maybe they're just clueless. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Face said:

I'm kind of curious to see how this works out for the Browns. They're getting devastated by the media & the fan base for just letting all 4 FA's walk but it seems like DePodesta is taking a true analytic/Moneyball type approach here. He's letting the FA's walk, getting the compensatory picks, and look like they plan on sucking hard for a year or two while getting a bunch of high picks & the comps, and then having a ton of money to spend 2-3 years from now.

Or maybe they're just clueless. We'll see.

As a baseball fan, his approach is far more likely to work in baseball only due to the structure of a game, long seasons where data can be analyzed, and a larger pool of players. Football is not the same style. While I am curious like you to watch this, Depodesta and the Browns will fail for the reasons above. Football is not a thinking/strategy sport to the same degree of baseball. Yes football teams have game plans, but with how fast paced the games are it is harder to make a change than a 3 minute at bat for example

Edited by AvgJoe