Potential Draft Target: SS Harrison Smith - Notre Dame

Cyrus

When writing these "Draft Target" posts I often begin by looking at NFP, PFW and NFLDraftScout rankings (not reports) to help narrow down which players to watch (then determine preliminary fits based on Height/Weight with scheme) I saw Harrison Smith ranked third on NFP's Senior strong safety list and immediately thought "This has to be #22". It was. After watching a few Notre Dame games to watch Te'o and Floyd I routinely noticed Smith making solid plays all over the field. Smith is a solid in-the-box safety due to his experience at multiple positions (LB, FS) and demonstrates excellent instincts, awareness in zone and all around feel for the game. Smith generally chooses good angles, times hits well and plays the game with a lot of passion and intensity.

He's a good but not great athlete with some limitations in coverage but can transition well to close on the ball in zone. Not a great man coverage safety due to limitations in flipping his hips to run with receivers (often putting him in trail position with quicker guys). Plays fast because of his ability at diagnosing the play and has good speed to break/close on the ball. Solid football speed (more straight line) and is proficient covering the deep half in some situations. Smith is a great tackler in space and makes his presence felt by both receivers and running backs.

For the Titans Smith would be an excellent fit in Gray's defense as he has the intelligence, instincts and play-making ability to excel as an in the box safety in Cover 3. Would even excel in a Robber role with help over the top where Smith can diagnose the play and use his underrated speed to make plays on the ball. Would have limited ability to play man against TEs in some situations but has the instincts and football speed to make it work in some short field situations. Had excellent production as a Free Safety in 2010 (7 interceptions, 3 coming in their Bowl Game against Miami). Smith would be good value in the mid to late second round and excellent value high in the third or later.

Archived