Steve Spurrier annouces immediate retirement

chef

(They added a quote list from him.  My fav is bolded)

When Steve Spurrier spoke, we all listened.

Heck, no one knew what was going to come out of the man's mouth. You just knew it was going to be entertaining.

Just look at this gem about winding up at South Carolina: “Some people ask, ‘How did you end up there?' I said, ‘I was available and they were the only ones who offered me a job the end of 2004.' "

In light of the news that Spurrier is retiring, here's a look at some of the Head Ball Coach's most famous lines.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F0826%2Fncf_g_steSteve Spurrier on playing Georgia: "I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended." MCT via Getty Images

On coaching so long ...

• “People ask, 'Why are you still coaching?' I forgot to get fired and I'm not going to cheat.”

• "I'm smart enough to know when it's time to let somebody else come in and do this, but I'm also smart enough to know that we've beaten Georgia four of the last five years, beaten Florida four of the last five years and beaten Clemson five of the last six years. We're only 3-2 against Tennessee the last five years, and they won a couple of close ones against us, but they've lost 10 in a row to Florida. So I'd say we've done OK and have a lot more we're going to do."

• "Well, like I told people, I breezed right through age 60, breezed right through 65, and I'm going to try my best to breeze right on through 70. I can still remember just about everything. So mentally, I think I'm the same as I was. We got two people running for president, I think Hillary and Donald Trump are both 69, I believe. Coach K at Duke, he's still doing pretty good at, I think 69 also. So the age really doesn't mean a lot."

Jabbing at the Georgia ...

• "I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

• "Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

Jabbing at Tennessee ...

• On Tennessee missing out on the Sugar Bowl during his Florida years: "You can't spell Citrus without U-T."

• On Peyton Manning: "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time star of the Citrus Bowl."

Jabbing at Florida State ...

• "You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University."

• On FSU players hitting Danny Wuerffel late: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different."

• On Jadeveon Clowney getting a speeding ticket: “I didn't know Jadeveon's car that could go that fast. He doesn't have a pretty car like those FSU guys used to drive."

Jabbing at Clemson and Dabo Swinney ...

• Swinney was asked about his relationship with Spurrier and said, "He's from Pluto, and I'm from Mars." Spurrier responded: "Dabo probably thinks there's only, what, nine planets out there? I think I read where Pluto may not be considered one now."

• On winning an SEC title compared to beating Clemson: “What I've also learned at South Carolina, our fans realize there's more to life than winning the SEC championship. They really do. We're in a state with Clemson. Clemson used to pretty much own South Carolina in football, no question about it. We have a state championship trophy. If you ask our fans at South Carolina, I can assure you a majority would say, ‘We would rather beat Clemson than win the SEC.' That is how big it is to them, that one game. Personally, I'd rather win the SEC. I don't mind saying that. Personally, that's the bigger trophy.”

• On LSU having the real Death Valley: "Most of our guys have never been to Death Valley. [LSU's stadium] is the Death Valley, isn't it? Or is there another one? There's two of them. That's right. There's two Death Valleys."

Jabbing at everyone else ...

• On a fire at the Auburn library that destroyed 20 books: "The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

• On Tennessee and Arkansas having the same record as South Carolina in 2014: “We were 7-6. Same as Tennessee, same as Arkansas. I think they're sorta celebratin' big seasons last year. … There are people in Knoxville and Fayetteville still doing cartwheels over going 7-6."

• On Nick Saban: “He's got a nice little gig going, a little bit like [John] Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.' If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.”

I can't believe he would up and resign (and he said he is resigning, not retiring) in the middle of the season.  Has to be more to this.

I think it's pretty simply him being fed up with age and W/L record pressure from media and SC supporters after their rough start this year.

Considering how much he turned that program around I can imagine that he might be of the mindset that they should be discussing where to place his statue not whether or not to force him out the door. The problem when you take a program from the dregs to near the top is that fans quickly forget where they used to be and start to question why the ascent hasn't continued to #1.  Besides, when you are his age and have accomplished what he has in life as a player and a coach, it's a lot easier to go all Murdock and just said I'm Too Old For This Shit.

• 5 months later...

Archived