Soccer

Yogaguy

​How does that compare to the 4 major US TV contracts?

I noticed that "Hispanic Americans" was mentioned in that article. If it's growing at all that's the reason why, because of the large amount of Hispanics moving into this country. Like I said, when I was at the MLS game there were so many Hispanics that I wasn't sure whether I'd need my passport to get out.

:blink:

I think I forgot who I was talking to... 

Yeah... cool.  Ok...  I love the sport. It is growing.  Its fun.  That is all.  

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol Good ol' scine.  "The ratings and popularity is from Hispanics so that doesn't really count as actual people."

​Is anything american? We are all from other countries. Soccer is the largest sport in the world and will be the largest sport in the US at some point. Football is too complicated to expand internatio

Soccer is so awesome, Cyrus has to make up words to adequately express the level of required athleticism. Let's that sink in.

And yet, Prag, with ESPN having a contract to show MLS games you still barely see a mention on sportscenter, far less than the NHL which ESPN does not have a contract on. As we all know ESPN tends to promote products that they televise and they used to be all over the NHL until they didn't renew the contract. However, it's still talked about 5 times more than the MLS ever will be on sportscenter.

And yet, Prag, with ESPN having a contract to show MLS games you still barely see a mention on sportscenter, far less than the NHL which ESPN does not have a contract on. As we all know ESPN tends to promote products that they televise and they used to be all over the NHL until they didn't renew the contract. However, it's still talked about 5 times more than the MLS ever will be on sportscenter.

​you said wake you when they have a major TV contract.  I woke you up.  lol   I dont have any desire to try to "convert" you to a soccer fan.  I love it. It's fun. I am enjoying the growth in popularity.  The rise in revenues mean more teams and more money to bring in big stars - including US ones.   Its allowing them to build a really really good youth academy program to feed up into the player pool.   All good things.   

​Yep.   Its why the MLS has gotten even funner to watch this season.   With Bradley, Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Jozy Altidore, Mix, etc... all coming over to the MLS to play.   Its easier for those that watch international soccer to watch MLS.   Watch Toronto... (not now- the international guys are all playing friendlies).  They have Bradley and Jozy.    Seattle Sounders have Dempsey.   New England Revolution has Jermaine Jones and Aguedelo.  

Lots of good stuff to watch in the MLS now.   Toronto signed an international  top international player from series A this year that is fun to watch (he is still in his prime- for those saying they only get aging stars) 

The MLS is a lot of fun.  I follow it more than the NFL to be honest. 

​To each his own I guess.

​you said wake you when they have a major TV contract.  I woke you up.  lol   I dont have any desire to try to "convert" you to a soccer fan.  I love it. It's fun. I am enjoying the growth in popularity.  The rise in revenues mean more teams and more money to bring in big stars - including US ones.   Its allowing them to build a really really good youth academy program to feed up into the player pool.   All good things.   

​Answer the question. How does it compare to the contracts of the 4 major sports?

Do you at least admit that the majority of the big soccer fans are not from this country?

​I was sort of joking, but I really don't know what you mean.

What difference does it make if the popularity of soccer is driven substantially by Hispanics and other immigrants?

​I'm giving a reason for why it may have grown. More proof that it isn't an American sport.

scine, it is true that soccer has not caught fire like the rosy predictions said it would, but soccer has made HUGE gains in the US since 1994.  It's not just something that is "fun for kids."

Hell I am being baptized myself into the insanity.  The old "soccer mom" cliché is way outdated.  My daughter was in the U11 Academy (essentially, semi travel all star type league) here in little old Macon.  We went up to a tournament in Atlanta and one of the parents told me that the team we were playing was ranked.  Nationally.  Blew my mind.

In 1994 there was no such thing as MLS.  Now it is in many cities, and is very popular in those cities as far as fans coming to the games.

The pro-soccer guys engage in hyperbole, but your statement that MLS will be lucky to be a quarter as popular as NHL in 20 years is laughable hyperbole on the other side.  I don't think it will, but it would not shock me if it was drawing ratings similar to NHL in 20 years, if not sooner.  Taking into account TV ratings for all soccer (World Cup., Premier league and MLS) in the US and it may draw as good as NHL right now, or damn close.

The world cup is a bigger draw in the US than the NHL Finals.

lol.  Oh scine, you wonderful prejudiced bastard!

HINT: a Hispanic, or other immigrant or brown-skinned person can be American.  Pretty sure most of the Hispanics driving TV ratings and going to games are American, most likely second generation or better. 

​Oh I think many are not from this country. When I was at that game I heard way more Spanish than English.

​In the world, yes. It's not a top 5 sport in this country.

Football

Baseball

Basketball

Hockey

???

What's your #5 that's bigger than soccer?