OTA Day 2 Talk

Mercalius

When people talk about Sankey I feel like they somehow only saw the moment when he finally got brought down and somehow missed the 1 and at times 2 guys he had to make miss/run through to pick up a measly 3 or 4 yards. Even more perplexing are the people who recognized that the O-line made Mett's life a lot harder than it had to be but then don't extend the same reasoning to Sankey. I don't get it. Is it the lack of long runs that make people see him that way?

​It's the lack of anything that makes you say ... "that's why we drafted him high ..."

Evan Silva asked the question on Twitter ... "What does he do well?"

That's the issue people have with him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When people talk about Sankey I feel like they somehow only saw the moment when he finally got brought down and somehow missed the 1 and at times 2 guys he had to make miss/run through to pick up a me

For the last 10 years camp has been the highlight of the Titans season. Let people enjoy it while it's here. Plenty of time for the usual depression, outrage, and disgust once the season starts 

​It's the lack of anything that makes you say ... "that's why we drafted him high ..."

​Apparently he gets yards after contact very well, just no one noticed until someone ran the numbers. Could there be other things the fan eye test missed?!

​Apparently he gets yards after contact very well, just no one noticed until someone ran the numbers. Could there be other things the fan eye test missed?!

​You talking about the stat that says he got 66 percent of his yardage after contact? What does that tell us exactly about his speed to the hole or his acceleration or his elusiveness? His ability to shed and accelerate through tackles?

The Titans aren't telling him to get stronger because he's overpowering people so that stat is tough to equate.

​From watching him in college, it always seemed to me that Sankey is one of those volume backs who gets better as you feed him and the game goes on. A big part of his game in college was using good vision to exploit small creases and cut-back lanes to keep the chains moving and while we did see a bit of that, the plays were fewer than you would like mainly because the kid had no room to run. I also think he's a very good receiver out of the backfield and naturally we didn't put him in positions to display that either. While his "power" isn't there, I think his balance is a stand out trait. I can't count how many times I thought I saw him going down only to watch him twist away from a and lunge forward for a few more yards. He's never going to be AP but I think if you swap him and Jeremy Hill last season we'd be sitting here saying  "why the hell did we draft that bum, Hill. 

​You talking about the stat that says he got 66 percent of his yardage after contact? What does that tell us exactly about his speed to the hole or his acceleration or his elusiveness? His ability to shed and accelerate through tackles?

The Titans aren't telling him to get stronger because he's overpowering people so that stat is tough to equate.

​He's great at falling forward and getting extra yards after contact. The stat makes sense at least to me because I saw this consistently last season in the games. Another factor that likely bolsters this stat is just how often he was contacted in the backfield by defenders before he could even get going. I know many hate CJ and will hate hearing this but he struggled with the same issues behind this line. It's hard to get down-hill and hit the hole decisively when you're having to avoid a guy as soon as the hand off is completed. One of his strongest attributes in college was his decisiveness/one cut ability so I hope he doesn't let last season's issues affect him to the point that he starts second guessing himself.

When people talk about Sankey I feel like they somehow only saw the moment when he finally got brought down and somehow missed the 1 and at times 2 guys he had to make miss/run through to pick up a measly 3 or 4 yards. Even more perplexing are the people who recognized that the O-line made Mett's life a lot harder than it had to be but then don't extend the same reasoning to Sankey. I don't get it. Is it the lack of long runs that make people see him that way?

​There has long been a blindspot on this site when it comes to RB production and Oline quality. 

​He does everything well but nothing great. 

I've never seen a RB more consistently below average in my life. It was crazy, it seemed like every game he had 17 carries for 60 yards.

There's no question he ran behind a bad OL but so have plenty of other good RB's in their careers, and they found ways to get their yards. 

Sankey had one carry over 20 yards last year, 21 yards, and that was in garbage time against Indy's prevent D. He just did nothing in spite of the poor blocking last year, he needs to improve a lot this season.

I've never seen a RB more consistently below average in my life. It was crazy, it seemed like every game he had 17 carries for 60 yards.

There's no question he ran behind a bad OL but so have plenty of other good RB's in their careers, and they found ways to get their yards. 

Sankey had one carry over 20 yards last year, 21 yards, and that was in garbage time against Indy's prevent D. He just did nothing in spite of the poor blocking last year, he needs to improve a lot this season.

​You can't remember back just 2 years?

You way underrate Sankey.

​I'd like to see the kid play behind a line that actually belongs in the NFL before labeling him a bust. His production wasn't what you'd like to see but I believe there were many mitigating factors so I highly doubt that what we saw last year is all he has to show.

As I recall, there was a 3-4 game stretch where Sankey had something like 35-40 carries and only one or two went for minus yards.....which is pretty good considering the garbage O-line he was running behind.

He had a tough year for sure, and he was obviously worn out and played worse down the stretch....but I think he also showed the potential to be a consistent, versatile, and valuable piece of the offense if they can get better play up front.