If the Cavs win the NBA title this year, is LeBron the best ever?

abenjami

I have to say yes.  I think in my book this would put him above Jordan.

Forget about all of the stats, all star awards, and his 4 MVP's.  Just look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.

This was a team that sucked balls for years.  Then they drafted him.  He takes them to the playoffs 5 straight years.  Their lack of winning a championship during those years was seemingly due to lack of an adequate supporting cast in a team game.

He bails and goes to Miami.  During his 4 seasons there, they go to the NBA finals 4 years straight and win 2 championships.  Meanwhile, Cleveland immediately goes from a 5 time playoff team to a complete piece of shit 4 seasons in a row.

Dude goes back to Cleveland and they are immediately in the Eastern Conference Finals and are one game away from the NBA finals.

I loved Jordan and he really was the greatest thing since sliced bread but I highly doubt he could have turned the 1990's Clippers into real contenders at the drop of a hat.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

​"Hey Nator, how was your memorial day weekend?"   "You know what?? FUCK Michael Jordan."

NO.      I'm a big fan of Lebron's actually--but Jordan? He doesn't sniff Jordan. I think time allows us to forget how truly great Jordan was. Not only was he easily the best, most dominant player-

Posted Images

LeBron will never have 6 finals MVPs, or go 6 for 6 in the finals. His points and FG% drop significantly in the finals. He plays in a league without hand checking. He is nowhere close to Jordan.

I guess having Irving & Love, while picking up Shumpert and JR Smith aren't helping matters. He left Miami for the better team, just like he did Cleveland in the first place. Bird and Johnson are easily ahead. He hasn't even developed a turn around because of how easy the rules are (which they changed because of Jordan's retirement. Fact.) He isn't in the same league as Jordan. Look at the stats and watch the defenses Jordan played against. It isn't close. It never will be and is a tiring and annoying argument.

LeBron will never have 6 finals MVPs, or go 6 for 6 in the finals. His points and FG% drop significantly in the finals. He plays in a league without hand checking. He is nowhere close to Jordan.

It's unlikely Jordan could have matched what LeBron has done

And whos to say with the same Bulls team Lebron wouldn't go 6 for 6?

NO. 

I'm a big fan of Lebron's actually--but Jordan? He doesn't sniff Jordan. I think time allows us to forget how truly great Jordan was. Not only was he easily the best, most dominant player--putting up 1960s stats in the 90s, but he made basketball what it is culturally. 

I would say Lebron deserves to be considered a top five player. I'm comfortable saying Lebron > Kobe. If I had to do a basketball Mt. Rushmore it's Lebron, Russell, Magic and Jordan. 

But Jordan was a different kind of monster. 

I don't know if I would say he doesn't "sniff" Jordan, but having watched both play in their primes, I have to agree with Blink Jordan > Lebron.  And I love Lebron. 

That said, if the Cavs win a title (I don't think they are going to) after Love going down, then I think the gap narrows significantly, and I wouldn't shout anyone down who wants to put LeBron as the best ever.  But I would still disagree.

But man it is really fun to watch a great player in his prime take over a game.  Hope the Cavs can keep going - Cleveland has suffered enough.

I guess having Irving & Love, while picking up Shumpert and JR Smith aren't helping matters. He left Miami for the better team, just like he did Cleveland in the first place. Bird and Johnson are easily ahead. He hasn't even developed a turn around because of how easy the rules are (which they changed because of Jordan's retirement. Fact.) He isn't in the same league as Jordan. Look at the stats and watch the defenses Jordan played against. It isn't close. It never will be and is a tiring and annoying argument.

Yeah, Lebron never had to deal with the tough physical defenses that Jordan had to deal with.  The NBA got rid of the hand checking rules around 10 years ago.  Another point is that aren't that many decent C's around anymore, especially in the Eastern Conference.  It means less resistance when he gets to the basket.  Compare that to when Jordan played, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, and Olajuwon were all in their primes during the 90s when Jordan was active.

And yeah Lebron>Kobe.  Kobe is one of the most overated athletes in the past 20 years or so.

Jordan had Phil Jackson and also had Scottie Pippen as well as much better overall teams than Lebron had. It's not fair to knock Lebron because he didn't go 6 for 6 in title games

Some of these arguments are funny.  The absence of hand checking might make things a little easier for LeBron but at the same time, Jordan played against physically weaker competition.  Your average NBA player back then was not the specimen he is today.

Sure, Jordan went 6 for 6 in the finals but he also went 0 for his first 6 playoff appearances when he didn't even make it to the finals.

LeBron got to the finals faster and won a championship faster.

Also, during Jordan's 2 years off, his team still won a respectable amount of games and went to the playoffs.  On the other hand after LeBron left Cleveland, the entire team went to shit.

They are both great players but some people are just too overly nostaglic about Jordan.

Right here today, I still think Jordan is the best ever.  But that could change if LeBron wins another title this year.

Above Jordan? LOL

To be clear, i'm only talking about on the court.

I don't think anyone will transcend the game off the court to the degree Jordan did back then.

I like LeBron, and they are very similar in what they bring to their teams, but I just don't think LeBron can quite overtake Jordon though in my mind.  When Jordan retired, I basically stopped watching a lot of hoop action for years.

MJ had his first "three-peat" in 1991, 1992 and 1993.  But then he went and retired from basketball before the beginning of the 1993–94 NBA season to pursue a career in baseball. lol  Not a good move I thought but wth, he did it anyway.  I still wonder what he could have done if he had stayed in basketball.  He may have won a couple more championships, who knows.

He then rejoined the Bulls after that baseball stint and led them to another "three-peat" in 1996, 1997, and 1998.  Not just one three-peat in his career, but two!  That was the shit there, and he's still the man in my book.

It's hard to compare LeBron and Jordan, it's a team game.

But if Lebron wins the title this season he's def in the discussion as best ever