Front Page Content - The Titans Passing Game

Cyrus

One more thing, where did you get a Texans playbook, Cyrus?

Came across it long ago on a website (can't remember) that had PDF libraries of older playbooks (80s and 90s if I remember correctly.) The 2003 Texans was the most recent on the site so it intrigued me. I downloaded it and it sat on my work computer forgotten for quite a while. At the time the Titans had zero connection to Palmer.

Lo and behold the Titans hire him and sometime later I realize I've got his old Texans playbook. Wasn't sure if there was going to be any continuity until hearing Palmer reference Gilbride's offense, doing some research, hearing player interviews and watching some preseason games.

A quick Google search comes up with this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8411148/2003-Houston-Texans

It's from a different site but it looks like someone uploaded a copy. (identical to the one I have) It's 362 pages and it's honestly not that complicated if you know what you're looking at. Many of the concepts are identified in terms of the package (Levels, Quick Pass, Read, etc. Also a Mirrors package which is a match up based playcall set) I get the feeling though that there's still plenty of plays missing.

This will def take some time for the WRs and QBs to get on the same page. I believe Palmer needs to be kept just for the sake of Locker's long term development. The worst thing for a rookie/young QB is to change OCs.

Looking back at the team's offensive struggles last week, I find it hard to find fault with the scheme itself; the problems we saw were a matter of execution, and the lack thereof.

Several times we saw Hasselbeck overthrow wide-open targets, as well as some well-thrown passes dropped by receivers....both of which can be chalked up to an overall lack of offensive chemistry, and the fact that they're still working on timing, and getting everyone on the same page.

Of course, it's hard to draw any meaningful conclusions (good or bad) after just one game...especially when that game is the season-opener.

But from what little we've seen, the scheme itself appears to be working. Receivers are finding the soft spots and getting open, and Hass is finding them and making good decisions overall. (The late INT last week being the one notable exception.) Now it's just a matter of working out the timing and execution.

One thing I do like is the fact that it's more than just a dink-and-dunk passing game. There's obviously that element to it...but Britt, Washington, and Cook all have the ability to stretch the field, and Palmer isn't afraid to challenge the defense with a few deep shots every now and then.

I think everyone will agree that any passing attack is only as good as the chemistry between the QB and his receivers.....and right now, the Titans just haven't had that much time to let that chemistry develop. I suspect we'll see steady improvement in that chemistry as the season progresses...and that improved chemistry should lead to an greatly improved passing game as a whole.

Looking back at the team's offensive struggles last week, I find it hard to find fault with the scheme itself; the problems we saw were a matter of execution, and the lack thereof.

Several times we saw Hasselbeck overthrow wide-open targets, as well as some well-thrown passes dropped by receivers....both of which can be chalked up to an overall lack of comfort within the offense, and the fact that they're still working on timing, and getting everyone on the same page.

Of course, it's hard to draw any meaningful conclusions (good or bad) after just one game...especially when that game is the season-opener.

One thing I do like is the fact that it's more than just a dink-and-dunk passing game. .

This is why after re-watching the game I was so encouraged. Palmer had a wide open passing attack installed and the problem was execution, not game plan. If the timing is on and MH was hitting his targets the Jags are in serious trouble.

I believe if Locker can get some quality playing time this season and head into the off season working on the offense 2012 could be very promising.