Another perspective on CJ

Face

Maybe I'm going soft, I don't know. But maybe I should have appreciated CJ a bit more. He was drafted in 2008, after 4 other RBs. Those 4 backs collectively ran for 14,877 yards & 98 TDs. CJ ran for 7,965 yards & 50 TDs. So, to approximate, he had about 55% of the production of the FOUR RB's picked ahead of him in the 1st round. And in the process of accumulating these numbers, he made a bunch of amazing plays, moreso in some categories than anyone who's ever played the game. Maybe I'm getting a bit nostalgic, but I think I've been a bit rough on the guy. Maybe he wasn't quite the scourge on the team that I thought he was.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I'm going soft, I don't know. But maybe I should have appreciated CJ a bit more. He was drafted in 2008, after 4 other RBs. Those 4 backs collectively ran for 14,877 yards & 98 TDs. CJ ran f

@Face - Name another back who has a better complete package of durability, yardage, individual records, low fumble rate, no off field issues, etc over a six year period and who gets less respect than

Jamal's wife was up all night listening to crying and it wasn't the baby

Yes he did those things ,  and did get those yards. 

but that was Cj along time ago not anymore or now ...

He seems afraid to take a hit or get extra yards ..who knows if ever you see  old Cj  again ...

@Face - Name another back who has a better complete package of durability, yardage, individual records, low fumble rate, no off field issues, etc over a six year period and who gets less respect than CJ.

I'd be interested to see who you think that is... and if you can't name one then CJ is the single most disrespected back with his quality of resume, which probably means he is a unique case or the narrative is over the top... or, imo, both.

It's not really an description as the disrespect came after the production dropped.

No one disputes his first couple of years were awesome.

Can you name another back who claimed he was such a stud, deserved to be the highest paid in the game, and then shit the bed after he got what he wanted?

It's not really an description as the disrespect came after the production dropped.

No one disputes his first couple of years were awesome.

Can you name another back who claimed he was such a stud, deserved to be the highest paid in the game, and then shit the bed after he got what he wanted?

Ummm shawn Alexander

Edgerrin James

Corey Dillon

Too tired to cont.

So you're saying it might be something of a unique case? Wonder where I've heard that before.

The point remains, if nobody with a better overall resume in a six year period gets less respect then maybe the OP is right to think out loud that his view may have been overly harsh overall.

God forbid someone discuss the OPs point and express legitimate curiosity about a potential disagreement.

Several backs have busted after big contracts. Did any of them go out of their way to question their o line and coaches? Did any of them refer to themselves as "every coaches dream" (or something along those lines)? I don't remember any that did, so that is why the situation is different.

If CJ hadn't of been so inclined to always mention personal accolades and had of left coaching and line play out of it, then I seriously doubt people would have these feelings. Sure, he would have been chastised for his poor play, but fans tend to take it personal when a player gets paid more than everyone on the team and proceeds to play like shit while rarely taking the full blame for his play and touts himself as amazing.

He changed his tone a little this offseason, and it felt like he was getting baited into a lot of his statements about personal stats, but that's his fault. Does anyone really think he would be catching this kind of flak if he had of handled himself differently? I doubt it.

Jamal and Face have a point, though. I don't think I've ever seen a player with his stats get so much shit from a fan base.

Name me another player who continues to keep his job despite playing so poorly for so long, oh that's right, Eddie George.

Chris Johnson continued to play because the team made a mistake and paid him a huge contract, not because he was churning out good production. 

The only reason anyone can lump 6 years together is because of the first few seasons and the fact he's continued to play because despite being bad, not because he was productive for 6 straight years.

The lack of respect CJ gets is well earned