Anybody watch a lot of Mizzou games?

XAEA12

Hearing about Michael Sam made me do a little reading up.  

I noticed that Sam was SEC defensive player of the year, and the first question I asked is, "Why is the SEC defensive player of the year a late round draft projection?" and I noticed that Kony Ealy, his teammate who plays DE opposite him, is projected as the 2nd highest rated DE coming out.

I looked at their stats and they are very similar, except with Sam's numbers being slightly better.  So, what's the deal (from someone who actually watched them play)?  Was Ealy double teamed more? is he just the more athletic prospect?  I'm just curious, but would really like feedback from someone who actually watched the games, not just a regurgitation of other people on the internet's opinion. Is there really a big difference in ability and/or potential between the two?

So, basically what I gather from the article is that Ealy finished the season stronger while Sam started the season stronger. Ealy (apparently) gets more attention from defenses. Ealy also is heavier at 275 v.s 260 for Ealy.

It's amazing how such small differences can make a huge difference in draft position. No wonder the draft is such a crap shoot.

Sam is a tweener prospect, has no real position.

I understand the latter part of your statement but wouldn't him being a tweener be good for being a 3-4 OLB or is he too much like a small DE and not extremely athletic enough where OLB isn't really an option?

I understand the latter part of your statement but wouldn't him being a tweener be good for being a 3-4 OLB or is he too much like a small DE and not extremely athletic enough where OLB isn't really an option?

Doesnt have the length to be a full-time 4-3 DE, his hips are atrocious so no on the OLB. He got moved back to lineman drills in the Senior Bowl because he was so lost at linebacker. He is like a 5th round type guy for me that might turn out to be a Klug type of guy that just has a knack of pass-rushing but plays rarely.

Doesnt have the length to be a full-time 4-3 DE, his hips are atrocious so no on the OLB. He got moved back to lineman drills in the Senior Bowl because he was so lost at linebacker. He is like a 5th round type guy for me that might turn out to be a Klug type of guy that just has a knack of pass-rushing but plays rarely.

Someone on Roto compared him to Larry English. That's not a compliment.

A guest on the local sports radio show mentioned that although Sam had 11.5 sacks, 9 came against Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Florida. So he didn't consistently dominate at the college level and maybe a 3rd to 5th round pickup.

Until this weekend, I never heard of the guy.

Great player in college.  Cannot be denied.  Would fit best as a situational rusher as a 4-3 DE.  Might be like drafting Kamerion Wimbley minus his ability to sorta play OLB in a 3-4  (ouch) 

That said, Sam can get to the QB, and played the run fairly well too (except against Auburn - ugly).  Really needs to find the right team to fit.   Having Ealy need to him this year and Sheldon Richardson last year didn't hurt him, but he did more than merely pick up the table scraps.  Has potential to be a steal if he falls far enough, but there are question marks in at the Rd 3 level.

Of note, Nick Saban has had high praise for the Mizzou line this season, and singled out him and Ealy specifically.  Not his style to blow smoke for kicks.

Bigger than Dumerville

Elvis is more athletic.  Better burst, better round the corner, better hips.  Also really uses his size to his advantage on leverage and dips.

Hard to describe the difference, but Sam isn't Dumervil.  Still worth a shot for a 4-3 team, or a hybrid one where he can primarily end up as a pass rushing OLB only when in 3-4. Would be badly exposed in coverage.

Archived