Finding our QB of the Future: One Man's Outrageous Plan

Jonboy

If someone said you can have a 22-23 yr-old-version of a future Rodgers/Manning/Brady, then send them 3 1st round draft picks and whoever else they want.

But if you mortgage the future on a guy who ends up being more like Freeman or Gabbert, you become a perennial contender for worst team in NFL, wasting all the current talent you have, severely damaging the culture of the locker room (talk about a team quitting), while losing merchandise and ticket sales.

It's a massive gamble for an owner; most good businessmen don't take those kinds of risks, or put all their eggs in one basket.

I personally wouldn't do it because I think it's not necessary to win. Getting a good QB is tough, but I think the situation a QB goes into has a lot to do with whether or not they become elite. I don't trust the current coaches ability in developing QBs or building innovative gameplans that put the offense in a position to succeed. Bring me a Sean Payton, and I guarantee you in a few years he'll weed through the pretenders and find his franchise guy.

Also, 5 of 12 playoff QBs last year weren't taken in the first round (6 of 12 non-1st round QBs for currently slotted playoff teams). And that's just 1st rounders -- not #1 picks or even top 10 guys, or guys who are on their 2nd team.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pull up a chair. Grab some coffee. Prop your feet. This one is a doozy.   I’m as big a fan as Jake Locker as anyone. Unfortunately, his health is a huge concern. Therefore, I would not pick up his o

If someone said you can have a 22-23 yr-old-version of a future Rodgers/Manning/Brady, then send them 3 1st round draft picks and whoever else they want.   But if you mortgage the future on a guy wh

A trade like that could devastate the franchise for years to come

If you're going to trade up that high to get your QB, I too think it has to be more of a sure thing. It's a move that I would be all for come next year when you know who down in Tallahassee leaves school. Not for Bridgewater though, although I do think he is a solid player. Winston would easily be the top pick in this draft if he were eligible though.

Very little chance it CAN happen and even less of chance that we would pull the trigger. I plan to revisit this once the draft order is actually set. If we somehow end up in the 6-7 range and St. Louis or Atlanta is picking first...I'd find a way.

I think it appears far more likely that Houston keeps the first pick a we end up around 9 or 10. 

I have zero problem with trading for Teddy, I just doubt the odds of it happening.

He passes just about every checkmark you'd want. He's started and produced multiple seasons so he's not a one year wonder. His accuracy is outstanding. Arm strength is very good. He's not a mobile QB per se, but he can move. No known character concerns. Plays in a pro style offense. Seems like a very bright kid. Not a lot to question imo with him, except maybe level of competition and his body.

I'm not sure what the Texans are going to do. How does Rick Smith feel about the team? To me if you take Teddy it means you think you're rebuilding. Maybe there's a small chance Smith thinks this year's debacle was just a giant fluke where everything that could go wrong did go wrong and they can get this team back quick. This was a team that was seen as a top contender only a year or two ago. With the window getting smaller on guys like Joseph, Owen Daniels, and Andre Johnson, maybe Smith goes after Cutler or Cousins and drafts Clowney, thinking they'll get back to SB contention quicker that way. Who knows.

If somehow Teddy doesn't get picked by HOU, we better hope CLE likes someone else more. They have the most leverage of a team not picking #1 to get him because of the TR trade. I could see them liking Carr more in Turner's offense. I'm not sure ATL wouldn't just stay put though. It falls too perfectly for them. Their two biggest needs imo are elite pass rusher and offensive tackle and Clowney/Barr or Matthews are likely to fall in their lap. We might have to ask the stache for some help if we want to move up as painful as it would be, but I'd live with it if it got us Teddy.

Scouts Inc currently has Teddy #8 on their big board. His stock is sliding a bit. I can see him being another guy who gets overanalyzed to death. I wouldn't be surprised if  come draft day people are asking Bridgewater or Carr? I'd laugh if the Texans drafted another Carr though I do like Derek Carr, but it'd be amusing. There's probably going to be some pressure to draft Manziel.

Good read Jonboy, but I generally dislike blockbuster trades like this for a college player. I don't think the Titans would ever do this, and I don't think they should--it's just too risky. And it's not the type of thing that conservative GMs worrying about the future job security would do. But you've sold me on Bridgewater as a prospect for sure. 

Good read Jonboy, but I generally dislike blockbuster trades like this for a college player. I don't think the Titans would ever do this, and I don't think they should--it's just too risky. And it's not the type of thing that conservative GMs worrying about the future job security would do. But you've sold me on Bridgewater as a prospect for sure. 

We've accused the Titans of being too conservative forever. Playing it too safe.

And when it comes down to it, we want to be conservative as well. I got no problem trading up for Bridgewater.

Edited by JLocker10

We've accused the Titans for being too conservative forever. Playing it too safe.

And when it comes down to it, we want to be conservative as well. I got no problem trading up for Bridgewater.

I've never accused them of that, but anyway. I agree you do whatever possible to win. But while Bridgewater is an excellent prospect, so was RGIII and that trade is looking ridiculous. Even Luck is a little over-rated/overhyped. I also believe it's a QB driven league, but those huge deals like that where you're sacrificing multiple future high draft picks and mortgaging your future almost never work out well. 

Now, if the Titans were to do that, I guess I'd jump on board, but would be very wary. Just my opinion. I really don't see Webster ever doing that though, he values draft picks above all things. 

Edited by tgo

I've never accused them of that, but anyway. I agree you do whatever possible to win. But while Bridgewater is an excellent prospect, so was RGIII and that trade is looking ridiculous. Even Luck is a little over-rated/overhyped. I also believe it's a QB driven league, but those huge deals like that where you're sacrificing multiple future high draft picks and mortgaging your future almost never work out well. 

Now, if the Titans were to do that, I guess I'd jump on board, but would be very wary. Just my opinion. I really don't see Webster ever doing that though, he values draft picks above all things. 

I wasn't accusing you specifically. Bridgewater is a different type of QB than RGIII.

I don't think the Giants regret trading for Eli Manning

We may have to trade up if we want a QB period in next year's draft. Several teams need one and there are only so many top level ones available. It's why we have to go after Cutler first and foremost if he's available. There's no guarantee a QB will be available for us round one.

Edited by JLocker10

I'm with you Jonboy. I have to disclaim that I grew up in Louisville and I'm a Card fan. But I think Teddy will be a legitimate difference maker in the NFL. Let's put this way ... I DO NOT want to play against him.

Trade for TEDDY!

(I don't believe in "tanking" for any reason. That's yielding to a loser mentality in my book.)