Finding our QB of the Future: One Man's Outrageous Plan

Jonboy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pull up a chair. Grab some coffee. Prop your feet. This one is a doozy.   I’m as big a fan as Jake Locker as anyone. Unfortunately, his health is a huge concern. Therefore, I would not pick up his o

If someone said you can have a 22-23 yr-old-version of a future Rodgers/Manning/Brady, then send them 3 1st round draft picks and whoever else they want.   But if you mortgage the future on a guy wh

A trade like that could devastate the franchise for years to come

You only do that if you can get Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Bridgewater is neither of those.

And if you really want to show how great Bridgewater is showing him elude tacklers on one play and then throwing to a wide open guy on the 2nd isn't going to do the trick. Can Bridgewater routinely hit a crossing receiver 30 yards downfield with men in his face?

You only do that if you can get Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Bridgewater is neither of those.

And if you really want to show how great Bridgewater is showing him elude tacklers on one play and then throwing to a wide open guy on the 2nd isn't going to do the trick. Can Bridgewater routinely hit a crossing receiver 30 yards downfield with men in his face?

He's deadly accurate. The only issues he's going to face from scouts is from a physical stand point. Smaller frame and hands. He's going to be a force in the pros in my opinion of course.

From the second article I linked...

"He never appears rattled or flustered facing pressure, and his ability to bounce back from big hits or poor plays is a testament to his confidence and cool demeanor. Against Rutgers, Bridgewater never blinked in the face of pressure despite taking a few big shots in the pocket. Although the Scarlet Knights recorded two sacks in the game, Bridgewater was seemingly unfazed by the pressure, as he routinely delivered accurate throws to his receivers with rushers in close proximity. This is certainly an encouraging sign to NFL evaluators that understand how frequently quarterbacks must throw with defenders near their feet in the pocket."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000260626/article/film-room-breaking-down-louisville-qb-teddy-bridgewater

Jason Campbell..

Not a very accurate comparison. Go back and read Campbell's scouting reports. He had a number of flaws. Some didn't even project him to the 1st round (was actually taken late round 1).

Good writeup Jonboy.  I'm really fond of Bridgewater as a prospect, and (I posted it in the draft forum) recent reports are that Carr might be surpassing him as the first QB off the board come draft time.  I think Carr's a fine prospect as well, but I'd personally give the nod to Teddy.  I'm not sure a scenario really exists where we could trade up to get him, especially with as many QB needy teams that will be drafting ahead of us and us not having a 3rd rounder this year, but if a realistic move is possible - I'd be very happy to have him as a Titan.

To me, he's easily the best QB prospect to come out since Luck, and better than many that came out before him.  Playing for Louisville, it's hard to get a grasp on how good he really is, but you can only play who's on your schedule, and he did come up huge against Florida in their bowl game last year (while playing injured).  Like others have mentioned, his accuracy (much like Bradford when came out in 2010) seems head and shoulders above his peers, and mixed with the other things you've mentioned (pro style offense, line calls, etc) he's a damn fine prospect.  Sadly, I just can't think of a way for it to really happen.

Sadly, I just can't think of a way for it to really happen.

Very little chance it CAN happen and even less of chance that we would pull the trigger. I plan to revisit this once the draft order is actually set. If we somehow end up in the 6-7 range and St. Louis or Atlanta is picking first...I'd find a way.

I think it appears far more likely that Houston keeps the first pick a we end up around 9 or 10. 

It's not really an outrageous plan at all.  Having a stud franchise QB is a huge advantage in this league and the best way to have a nice long window for a super bowl run (or 2, or 3).

You sell out to get one if you don't have the ability to get the right guy with the draft pick you have.  And if he fails, you get back on your horse and do it again until you strike gold.

It's not really an outrageous plan at all.  Having a stud franchise QB is a huge advantage in this league and the best way to have a nice long window for a super bowl run (or 2, or 3).

You sell out to get one if you don't have the ability to get the right guy with the draft pick you have.  And if he fails, you get back on your horse and do it again until you strike gold.

Well...outrageous for the Titans, lol. 

He's deadly accurate. The only issues he's going to face from scouts is from a physical stand point. Smaller frame and hands. He's going to be a force in the pros in my opinion of course.

I was looking to see if you addressed his size and you did. I like Bridgewater. I think A.J. McCarron is a qb who could win with the talent the Titans have in place. Obviously he would be a better sell to Titans fans who like Locker. Chance Warmack has taken a little shine off the great Alabama players being surrounded with great talent. I have watched both these qbs go through reads and progressions. TB is the better player, but AJ could be the kind of guy who will take the beating a NFL qb has to take. How high is McCarron supposed to go?

Meant to quote Jonboy.

Edited by Number9

I was looking to see if you addressed his size and you did. I like Bridgewater. I think A.J. McCarron is a qb who could win with the talent the Titans have in place. Obviously he would be a better sell to Titans fans who like Locker. Chance Warmack has taken a little shine off the great Alabama players being surrounded with great talent. I have watched both these qbs go through reads and progressions. TB is the better player, but AJ could be the kind of guy who will take the beating a NFL qb has to take. How high is McCarron supposed to go?

At the start of the season, he was projected from most to be anywhere in the rounds 3-5.  This year he's really helped himself and I've heard a lot of 1st round talk, but I think to solidify himself as a first round pick he'll have to have an outstanding combine and would benefit himself tremendously by playing in (and playing well) during the Senior Bowl.  As of right now, I believe most people have him in the 20-60 range, but there's still plenty of time to increase his stock. 

To add further about McCarron, I've tried to be "meh" on him for the last two years.  Didn't see anything special last year, and there are some limitations to his game (arm strength being one, but Foles this year has proven that what limits you in college may not define your career).  I hear a lot of "Brady" talk in connection with McCarron, and while I don't really see that personally, he does everything you like to see a QB do, and he does it very well.  And he's been doing it for several years now.  He's not McElroy, but that stigma of being a good AL quarterback on National Championship teams that very likely does nothing at the next level has always sorta framed my opinion of him, but you can't deny his numbers this year and time and time again driving AL down the field to win games during crunch time.  He's big, can take a hit, seems like a student of the game, and possesses that clutch factor that you'd like your quarterback to have.  That being said, like Teddy, you have to look at where he plays and weigh that into your evaluation to make it fair.  He's grown on me a lot over the last year, which is saying something considering I hate Alabama, but I'm not personally sure I'd be happy if we picked him in the first round.  Anything after that though, and I'd certainly be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Mercalius