"SuperHorn breaks down a defensive play vs. AP"

OILERMAN

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/7/3/4489846/titans-film-review-whats-wrong-with-this-picture

This is hilarious and makes you really wonder how dumb Jerry Gray is. Normally I'm reluctant to call out coaches on detailed plays because often a fan doesn't really understand the complexity of a certain play.

In this case it's too glaring. The Titans are in nickel against the Vikes while their in a power running formation. I'd love to hear Gray's reasoning.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They essentially have the same offensive skill people aside from Walker instead of Cook. It's even likely Britt is much better than he was in 2012 further removed from his injuries. The defense lacks

If the defense improves, it will most likely be due to the offense not going 3-and-out every other drive.    Jerry Gray may have fucked up that play-call, but I am more confident in him than I ever

Unless someone can show us that this doesn't happen for every other team in the league once or twice a game, this is a non story. Sometimes coaches guess wrong. it happens in every sport. 

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/7/3/4489846/titans-film-review-whats-wrong-with-this-picture

This is hilarious and makes you really wonder how dumb Jerry Gray is. Normally I'm reluctant to call out coaches on detailed plays because often a fan doesn't really understand the complexity of a certain play.

In this case it's too glaring. The Titans are in nickel against the Vikes while their in a power running formation. I'd love to hear Gray's reasoning.

The first thing I am thinking is what is down and distance? Maybe this is Gray's excuse. Then I see it 2nd and 9. Passing down, but they do have AP. Conclusion. Maybe this is just a blown call, plus lack of personnel and still poor execution. The tackle takes two backers out of the play. Even if they are lined up right, if you can't execute, what's the use.

We will see this year.  I like Gray dating back to 99' when he was db coach.  I thought this guy is fired up acting like he expects perfection out of this bunch of 8-8's.  `I thought the whole team had a special intensity at camp that year.  Maybe, Gray is just a position coach.  Maybe, even if he had the talent he still would not know how to use it.  They did not add much, but this year should tell the story.  Then again, if the defense improves, GW will get the credit.

That's 7 gaps. While we technically only have 6 guys in the box, the Nickel corner (Mouton) is just outside the box. He'll account for the D gap as the force player to that side of the field. So, we're fine, right? Of course not.

Lol

Seems pretty obvious that that gap was mccarthy's responsibility, but he also had the fullback to face. McCarthy hesitated and was late to the gap, allowing the fullback to pass the line of scrimmage cleanly, giving AP not only a 1 on 1 with Griffin but a scenario where he had already run a full 15 yards (5 of that in the backfield) completely untouched. Griffin couldn't have stopped him 1 on 1 in the hole, let alone in open space.  Also the other linebacker was sealed off by the Tackle because we were playing off against the pass.

Altogether a brilliant combination of bad personnel and bad scheme

I recall a similar article following last year's OT loss to the Colts...an in-depth analysis that underscored how bad the defensive playcalling was at times, and how it often put the players at considerable disadvantage.

It's articles like this that make me wonder whether Gray has any business calling plays, or if maybe he's in way over his head.

However, in all fairness, it's entirely possible that every coordinator makes similarly mind-numbing calls from time to time....but as Titans fans, we're not analyzing or even paying attention to other coordinators, so we never hear about it.

(However, the statistics clearly suggest otherwise.)

I recall a similar article following last year's OT loss to the Colts...an in-depth analysis that underscored how bad the defensive playcalling was at times, and how it often put the players at considerable disadvantage.

Yea I posted that one from Superhorn as well. It was some kind of stupid blitz with the DTs rushing up field and the Colts ran a draw with ease for a large gain. I believe it pointed out how Gray was simply guessing.

The real story of this game was CJ who rushed 15 times for 24 yds., 1.6 YPC.

Equally inept was MH throwing the ball 43 times at 4.7yds per pass and the offense not scoring anything until late in the game when he threw another one of his great redzone TDs!

I'm sure that's not the only time last year that there was a mix up and a defense got the wrong personnel out there. Unless that happened frequently, I'd be more concerned w/ the plays were they got beat w/ the right personnel.

I'm pretty concerned about the plays where we just put the wrong personnel on the field. That's terrible coaching and shouldn't happen.