Joey ATE the THREAD

tinman

I create an easy to make meal based on trying to copy https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/entrees/kashi-frozen-entrees-black-bean-mango

My latest is pretty close:

Barely

Hard Red Wheat (might try some other grains too)

Black Beans

Bell Peppers slices

Onions slices 

Mango preserve (tried sliced mango but preserve is better and more like the frozen dinner)

Cayenne pepper

garlic

paprika

No measurements,  I just make enough for 2 meals, and add the spices and mango (about a tablespoon per meal) to taste. You could add all kinds of stuff to it. 

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent a few hours in the kitchen whipping up this bad boy for lunch today       Two pieces of cheese really send the flavor profile over the top, especially with the synergy of the cheetohs.  

1) Buy 7 apples, once per week   2) Eat one per day   = No more doctors

In an attempt to start the political purge, Bump it the only way I know how..... "I'M BAAAAACCCCKKKKKK"

Lamb and plantain kebabs cooked in the broiler with a Turkish tomato salad. Will edit with recipe when I get back from work.

Kebabs

Lamb chops

Jar of jerk sauce

Plantains

Coconut oil

Cinnamon

Skewers

Debone lamb chops (takes a while).  Massage in jerk sauce and let marinate.

Chop plantains into thick disks.  Throw into bowl with 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.  Mix up.

Assemble skewers lamb / plantain / lamb / plantain etc.  Put skewer through long ways to maximize exposed surface area of food.

Line broiler with foil to aid cleaning.  Cook in broiler 2-3 minutes on each side.

Turkish tomato salad

Tomatos

Cucumbers

Green peppers

Olives

Red onions

Feta

EVOO

chop up everything into ~ 1 inch chunks.  throw into bowl.  Mix in olive oil and feta.  Season to taste.

Edited by patsplat

Every other Sunday I'll cook a ton of chicken breast, beans and steamed veggies put them in containers and freeze them. I take one for lunch every day.

Something else I found to be really useful is a hand held mixer. I take two snacks every day, the first one is usually oatmeal with a little peanut butter and a scoop of protein powder. After I heat the oatmeal I mix it all up and the add half a banana. Very tasty. I do the same thing with a lowfat yogurt in the PM. Add a scoop of protein powder and some almonds.

I also eat a can of sardines almost every day. Sardines are like the perfect food, google them

Sardines: Dr. Bowden calls them “health food in a can.” They are high in omega-3’s, contain virtually no mercury and are loaded with calcium. They also contain iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese as well as a full complement of B vitamins.

They are also loaded with protein

My favorite is just simple sautéed chicken and vegetables. I load up on bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and garlic and then add chicken breast. Pretty simple and you can adjust the vegetables and seasonings easily. You could adjust the meat, too, but I think it's best with chicken.

Wok-charred Shrimp on Tropical Fruit Quinoa Salad in Sesame Vinaigrette with Furikake-crusted Goat Cheese Medallions 

OK, that's a menu description.

In reality, just cook over some quinoa (I always do it in a rice cooker, 2:1 ratio, at least a pinch or three of salt.... though you can do lots of variations).  Do a small dice of tropical fruit.  I use pineapple, mango and papaya, but just one will do.  Add in small dice sweet bell pepper (red/orange/yellow - any mix thereof), a brunoise (very fine dice) of red onion or else sweet onion, or shallot, or thinly-sliced green onions.  Grate in a little fresh ginger with a microplane.  I like to add a chiffonade of Thai basil, but any basil, or cilantro, or mint, also work well. Toss all with a sesame vinaigrette.  I can provide a recipe, but for simplicity's sake, if you have a decent store bought one you like, it will probably work.  And if you wan to go the low-fat route, sure thing.  That's the only item in the salad where fat kicks in at all.

To make life easy, use the same sesame dressing and marinate some jumbo shrimp (anything from a U13-15 to U21-25 work well) for at least a few hours or overnight if the dressing isn't too salt/acidic.  Remove shrimp form marinade, pat dry, and sear in a crazy hot wok, or cast iron skillet.  Or just grill them, broil them, whatever.  The goal is to almost blacken them by caramelizing the sugars in the marinade.  They should cook so quickly that the sugar will just start to burn a little and by then they are cooked.  Like 1-2 minutes.

Serve the shrimp hot or cold over the quinoa salad.  Can be made ahead of time, like a day ahead.  The salad should last for several days.  I really like goat cheese with tropical fruit, so either crumble some over the top, or to step it over a little, roll a goat cheese log in furikake (a Japanese seasoning mix with seaweed, sesame, extra), or else just use sesame seeds, and slice with a hot, clean knife into medallions to garnish.  Add a sprig or two of whatever herb you used, and voila.  Nice as either a single serving plate or else a larger platter for a group. 

Good subs for the shrimp include chicken breast, pork tenderloin, veal tenderloin, sea scallops, most fish (very-rare seared ahi is nice here), though you probably won't be doing the charring the same way, just marinate (or not) and cook.  

As a variation on quinoa (or couscous), it's fun to cook it in things more interesting than water.  This was dinner last week here at the house.

HawaiianJerk-grilledPorkTenderloinwithCa

Hawaiian Jerk-grilled Pork Tenderloin with Carrot Quinoa, Evonuk Farm Bacon-braised Rainbow Chard and Pineapple BBQ Sauce

Really simple as a buddy of mine here on the island who makes rubs, jams, sauces, etc had given me some of his Hawaiian jerk rub along with his pineapple BBQ sauce.  And my neighbor who has a full-blown commercial farm brings me stuff all the time, in this case some gorgeous rainbow chard. So dinner wasn't a planned meal nor conceived dish, but just a quick "What's in the frig/pantry?" sort of thing.  Turned out really well.

All I had to do was juice some carrots and mixed it with some water to form the base liquid for the quinoa.  Seasoned it and stirred in some EVOO, no more.  Served hot.

Typical dinner for me is corn on the cob or broccoli, baked potato, bread of some sort, and chicken or steak, sometimes fish.

I do eat fast food for lunch, but it's never those giant sized meals, usually just a burger small fries and a soda, maybe some nuggets.

I have a "poor man" variation of chef's quinoa / couscous recipe for camping.

Whenever we go car camping (and we do that a lot), we buy couscous with spices in the box from a store ( http://www.amazon.com/Near-East-Parmesan-Couscous-5-9-Ounce/dp/B000GZY94W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1372793727&sr=8-7&keywords=couscous ). Aldi, WalMart, etc. sell then. Type does not matter, i.e. Parmesan, Wild Mushrooms, etc. 

Then I cook couscous on a camping stove and then add a can of salmon. Instead of salmon, sardines or any other type of fish can work great too. Adding avocado is great too whenever we have it.

Cost: ~$2 for couscous + $2 (sardines) or $4(salmon) for fish can for the family of 4.

Edited by ALTitan

I got one of those blenders used to make 16oz drinks.  I take it and get some ice, half a banana, a pineapple ring and a thing of plain yogurt and blend it up for milk shakes for the kids.. THEY BEG for them.. My big blender bit the dirt but this little thing like you said Ben is easy to clean and no mess..

I don't worry to much about carbs, we are all small. I am 5' 10" and about 160. I just feel better when I don't eat JUNK (chips, mcd's, sodas etc).. More energy I guess.  I still have a sundrop a day and a snickers bar every so often but I am just trying to keep it as healthy as I can..

Another thing I do for snackes.. I got a dehydrator and will cut up a few apples and pears in 1/8" circular slices and glaze them with some butter and a little brown sugar and let them dehydrate till they come out like chips.

Similar to the apple thing, for snacks I like to bake Kale chips or toss Asparagus in the oven (or better on the grill). Roll em in a bit of olive oil, salt or pepper them, and you are good to go.

Edited by Bink

I have a "poor man" variation of chef's quinoa / couscous recipe for camping.

Whenever we go car camping (and we do that a lot), we buy couscous with spices in the box from a store ( http://www.amazon.com/Near-East-Parmesan-Couscous-5-9-Ounce/dp/B000GZY94W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1372793727&sr=8-7&keywords=couscous ). Aldi, WalMart, etc. sell then. Type does not matter, i.e. Parmesan, Wild Mushrooms, etc. 

Then I cook couscous on a camping stove and then add a can of salmon. Instead of salmon, sardines or any other type of fish can work great too. Adding avocado is great too whenever we have it.

Cost: ~$2 for couscous + $2 (sardines) or $4(salmon) for fish can for the family of 4.

Those little boxes usually work out just fine.  Best with fresh herbs added, but whatever.  Very resourceful.