The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

2 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Bottomline, this show has been great (or great to pretty good) for 6 straight seasons. How many shows in tv history could claim that? It sucks that maybe this season has let some people down in their expectations. I would hope everyone that likes this show gets maximum enjoyment out of it because it really is the best thing on TV right now BY FAR.

I still think this show is going to end on one helluva high note and the perceived "low" will eventually be seen in a better light.

I agree.  And I enjoy seeing a story I love on the screen in HD.  My complaint, and I imagine I speak for others, is that this is our one version of this story that we will see on the screen - if not to be completed at all.  Hell, book readers bitch about the extra detail in the 4th and 5th books.  (I personally didn't mind.)  

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

It's interesting seeing all the criticism because as the director says it doesn't seem like a widely held opinion that the show is worse this season than prior season. In fact it's the opposite. 

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0944947

IMDB ratings are a bit flawed but this season (avg episode rating 9.27) is the second highest rated season per IMDB after season 4 (avg 9.33). Beyond the Wall isn't listed on this site yet, but it's a 9.5 so far on IMDB. Spoils of War hit 9.9 which only 4 other episodes have in all of GoT.

If The Dragon and the Wolf hits a 9.8 rating this season will be the highest rated season. That seems possible given the circumstances.

I wonder if the ends of shows just tend to be more polarizing. I remember a lot of people complaining online about the end of BSG but it's final season and episodes are also highly rated on IMDB. Perhaps among the hardcore fans there will always be some segment of people unhappy with how the end is executed.

Or perhaps the people enjoying it are all rubes!

Edited by Titans279

2 hours ago, Titans279 said:

It's interesting seeing all the criticism because as the director says it doesn't seem like a widely held opinion that the show is worse this season than prior season. In fact it's the opposite. 

IMDB ratings are a bit flawed but this season (avg episode rating 9.27) is the second highest rated season per IMDB after season 4 (avg 9.33). Beyond the Wall isn't listed on this site yet, but it's a 9.5 so far on IMDB. Spoils of War hit 9.9 which only 4 other episodes have in all of GoT.

If The Dragon and the Wolf hits a 9.8 rating this season will be the highest rated season. That seems possible given the circumstances.

I wonder if the ends of shows just tend to be more polarizing. I remember a lot of people complaining online about the end of BSG but it's final season and episodes are also highly rated on IMDB. Perhaps among the hardcore fans there will always be some segment of people unhappy with how the end is executed.

The Dragon and the Wolf? Is that the name of the finale?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up on the listings. Yep that's the title.

Talk about being meta AF. Jon rides a dragon? The big reveal about Rhaegar and Lyanna and the fact that Jon is both dragon and wolf? Something about Dany and Jon?

Edited by NashvilleNinja

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

All imdb ratings are like that immediately after airing... they are also easily manipulated by the studios. 

4 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Shortened seasons!? Actually, they stretched it into seven parts and 73 episodes!

Lol at the attempted reverse logic on the final two seasons. That's a surprisingly bold defense.

Not for Starkiller its not. Hes the ultimate fanboy.

5 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Shortened seasons!? Actually, they stretched it into seven parts and 73 episodes!

Lol at the attempted reverse logic on the final two seasons. That's a surprisingly bold defense.

There is one 10 episode season for each of the first 6 books. There are 2 partial seasons for the final one, 13 episodes combined. 13 episodes that will generally be longer than almost any of the first 60 episodes.

I thought accountants were good at math...

6 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Which maybe they shouldn't have done... split it up, that is.

It seems to me they had two whole seasons left, not an extended and split single season.  

3 more episodes spent on some character motivations and development, passage of time, and portray more dire consequences would have went a long way towards negating some of the criticism.  

The people might like the lack of filler, but that's what brought it all together before.  

Thats what's so bizarre to me.  They did a great job of cramming a shit ton of story into a tv series, which was a part of the show's success, only to abandon it the approach and go for the bling.  

I get it, they don't have the material to sort out and focus on, but damn.  

But the ratings have continued an upwards trend, so fuck me.  

I just hope the last episode rocks.  I need it to. 

Edited by Rogue

30 minutes ago, Rogue said:

It seems to me they had two whole seasons left, not an extended and split single season.  

3 more episodes spent on some character motivations and development, passage of time, and portray more dire consequences would have went a long way towards negating some of the criticism.  

The people might like the lack of filler, but that's what brought it all together before.  

Thats what's so bizarre to me.  They did a great job of cramming a shit ton of story into a tv series, which was a part of the show's success, only to abandon it the approach and go for the bling.  

I get it, they don't have the material to sort out and focus on, but damn.  

But the ratings have continued an upwards trend, so fuck me.  

I just hope the last episode rocks.  I need it to. 

i think its the opposite really... 

i think they tried to steal an extra season from us and filled it with some bullshit to take up time... but because they shortened each season, the BS became too much to adequately tell a story. 

they either needed to just do a normal season or the needed to do 2 full seasons with added BS. this in between stuff is where the half-assed writing comes in. 

a 10 episode season forces them to be smart and think through everything without having to resolve every single storyline completely (which is what it feels they are trying to do)

20 more episodes (instead of 13) allows them to resolve the storylines and be accurate and true to the pacing of past seasons. 

13 episodes doesnt let you do either... once you add the filler, you have to resolve the filler. 

just not well thought out anymore. 

54 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

There is one 10 episode season for each of the first 6 books. There are 2 partial seasons for the final one, 13 episodes combined. 13 episodes that will generally be longer than almost any of the first 60 episodes.

They've been talking about 8 seasons for some time. They then decided the final two would be short. Life is a timeline, sweetheart.

Not well thought out or not enough left to think out?

I mean, for Christ's sake... winter is HERE. The war with the ice bastards is right at the door. How much more time for 2 season's worth of walking and bullshitting back and forth is left? Some of you just need to come to terms with the fact that the show is almost over and resign yourself to the fact that the cats are all coming out of the bag at once.

1 minute ago, Jamalisms said:

Life is a timeline, sweetheart.

As is this show, or the series of books for that matter. Tell that to GRRM.