The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

It's rare for a TV series to actually do justice to a book series but it's even more rare in the high fantasy setting. I've read the entire series to date and didn't think there was anyway the show would be this good. If you haven't read the books, do your self a favor and do so. It's not an easy read though so be warned.

Edited by oldschool

I am on the fourth book now. I got started after I saw you guys discussing it. The first three books were great. The fourth is a little different. I get them on audio. I found the Harry Potter books much, much more interesting than the movies which I though were just ok. After the books, I enjoyed the movies more. If you travel or are in your car a lot, I highly recommend audio books.

I am on the fourth book now. I got started after I saw you guys discussing it. The first three books were great. The fourth is a little different. I get them on audio.

I agree. The first 3 books were better than the last 2. The story started to meander. Hopefully the last 2 will pick back up.

And I love the audiobooks, too. Roy Dotrice was great for the first 3. The guy who read the 4th wasn't nearly as good. But then Dotrice oddly wasn't as good on the 5th book when they brought him back.

I found the Harry Potter books much, much more interesting than the movies which I though were just ok. After the books, I enjoyed the movies more.

I love the Harry Potter books. Much better than the movies. They leave out so much to make a 2 hour movie. I just finished the Hunger Games, and it's also much better than the movie, which came off emotionally flat.

If you travel or are in your car a lot, I highly recommend audio books.

Ditto. I love Audible. I never sit down and read a book anymore, but I can listen to books while I drive, clean, cook, exercise, etc.

Yes. Check out audible.com (owned by Amazon). Or you can also buy them individually through iTunes. Audible lets you buy individually or subscribe.

If you (or anyone else) wants to try out Audible, go to Audible.com and sign up for a 1 credit per month account using the coupon code "Twit" by going here (*edited because I realized they changed how to start the trial):

http://audible.com/twit

You'll get 1 free credit. Most books are 1 credit (longer ones like Game of Thrones are generally 2). If you don't like it, you can cancel the account before you start getting charged (not sure how long that is, something like 2 or 4 weeks).

Edited by Starkiller

Oman this is the fantasy series we were talking about when you called us nerds.

Storm of Swords might have been the best book I ever read. The first 3 books were all fantastic.

The next 2 books are essentially about getting all the characters and plot up to the point together to where Martin can go for the throat and bring it all home in the last 2 books.

I just hope he hasn't lost it and/or he dies.

As for the TV series the first season was great but this last one has been meh. I am 2 episodes behind though.

Yeah, the last book (especially) was all about moving pieces around the chess board to set up a masterful checkmate. I'm interested to see if my predictions end up being right... but that's the beauty - everyone is.

If this guy pulls a Robert Jordan, I won't be pissed off... I'll just be so incredibly sad. Someone put him on a diet and don't let him watch the filming of the "adult" scenes.

• 2 months later...

So, it was raining most of this weekend and I ended up staying around the house Sunday. I haven't watch HBO since the last season of Entourage, but decided to check out Game of Thrones S1 on-demand.....needless to say by EOD I finished Episode 7. This show is awesome. Outside of sports, I barely watch TV but glad I decided to pickup the remote. I remember seeing this thread a while back and completely overlooking it

I'll prob finish S1 this week, and S2 by the next week or two. No spoilers please!