It's Hammer Time.

XAEA12

3 hours ago, big2033 said:

It's in our history. Eddie George pounding the shit out of defenses.

And when he works it's fun to watch.

But yeah, it just doesn't work most of the time.

Why risk it?

Eddie George was a terrible RB.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All you naysayers all season have been wrong about everything - about Vrabel, about Mariota, about the coaching staff, about the defense, about Davis, about Smith, about the offensive design, and abou

This newschool dude is giving me a bad name.

Why are people so obsessed with trying to make this guy great?

2 hours ago, nine said:

I can't speak for others...but for me, it's not a matter of making Henry a focal point of the offense.   It's just that he has proven value in certain areas...but for whatever reason, the coaching staff has chosen to downplay his role in the offense, even in situations where he has proven to be very effective. 

Consider Henry's final drive of the game yesterday:  the Titans get the ball with a 27-10 lead and 10:48 remaining.   After a 21-yard completion on first down, they gave the ball to Henry five times in a row:

• 2 yards
  • 14 yards
  • 5 yards
  • 6 yards
  • 10 yards (TD)

The TD made it 34-10 and effectively ended any hopes of the Patriots mounting a late comeback.

When the offense came back on the field to close out the game with 4:51 remaining, Lewis was the ballcarrier. 

• 0 yards
  • 2 yards
  • 4 yards
  • punt

Look, I love Lewis' explosiveness and versatility and everything he brings to the offense....the guy is freaking dynamite.   But the fact is, Henry has proven to be the more effective runner in short yardage/goal-line and obvious running situations.   

But for whatever reason, when the team gets into those situations or 4-minute situations where Henry has historically dominated and played the very best football of his career...they still tend to give Lewis the nod.   

I spent the first half of the season arguing it and supporting Henry....but at this point I'm pretty much done with it.  The numbers are what they are and they speak for themselves;  the coaches will do as they see fit.

It's almost like people have preconceived agendas

52 minutes ago, newschool said:

Eddie George was a terrible RB.

Ok, I will pass this in case you tell me you got hit hard in the head before posting this. 

During his playing days in Tennessee (1996-2003), George never missed a game – a span of 128 starts. He was a 1,000-yard rusher seven times, a four-time Pro Bowler, and he toppled 10,000 yards in his career. On a list of the NFL’s all-time rushers, his average yards per season ranks an impressive 7th overall -- ahead of five running backs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Just now, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Ok, I will pass this in case you tell me you got hit hard in the head before posting this. 

Terrible is obviously an overstatement and I am a fan of the Titans only because of Eddie but he mostly brought leadership to the table, not some fantastic run game. I don't know who those 5 HOFers he's ahead of but I can assure you he was worse than them.

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

Terrible is obviously an overstatement and I am a fan of the Titans only because of Eddie but he mostly brought leadership to the table, not some fantastic run game. I don't know who those 5 HOFers he's ahead of but I can assure you he was worse than them.

he said, and I quote "terrible RB"...so there's his answer.

I posted his numbers and all in all he brought a good RB play to the Titans table. So I don't really know where I losted you.

4 minutes ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

he said, and I quote "terrible RB"...so there's his answer.

you didn't "losted" me anywhere. Was just pointing out that Eddie wasn't really all that good.

It's not like I was even remotely calling you out for being wrong

3 hours ago, big2033 said:

@nine and others ask yourselves, who is more likely to make a play with things break down - which often happens in the NFL.

Got your answer?

Good. Let him go.

Let’s also ask ourselves which guy has the higher rate of converting first downs/touchdowns and has been significantly better at avoiding negative plays.

Like I said earlier....I’ve already accepted the fact that the coaching staff doesn’t like Henry, even in those situations where he is proven to be more effective than Lewis.  

But at some point there’s going to be another situation where the team needs to run the ball in the fourth quarter to put the game away without allowing the other team  time to respond.   

They tried using Lewis as their four-minute back in Buffalo;  it didn’t go well.  They did it again vs the Patriots...another three and out.  (Fortunately that one wasn’t costly).

Even Henry’s critics admit he’s historically been pretty darned effective in Q4 and in four-minute situations throughout his career....but for whatever reason, the current staff chooses not to use him in that role.

Thats their prerogative.  I just hope it doesn’t end up screwing them again.

This revisionist history on Eddie George is weird. 

He was the heart of the office during our Super Bowl run.

Had over 1,200 yards in his first five seasons.

Jerome Bettis is in the hall and doesn't even boast stats like.

It was a different time, and Eddie was one of the top backs in his brief time.

6 minutes ago, nine said:

Let’s also ask ourselves which guy has the higher rate of converting first downs/touchdowns and has been significantly better at avoiding negative plays.

Like I said earlier....I’ve already accepted the fact that the coaching staff doesn’t like Henry, even in those situations where he is proven to be more effective than Lewis.  

But at some point there’s going to be another situation where the team needs to run the ball in the fourth quarter to put the game away without allowing the other team  time to respond.   

They tried using Lewis as their four-minute back in Buffalo;  it didn’t go well.  They did it again vs the Patriots...another three and out.  (Fortunately that one wasn’t costly).

Even Henry’s critics admit he’s historically been pretty darned effective in Q4 and in four-minute situations throughout his career....but for whatever reason, the current staff chooses not to use him in that role.

Thats their prerogative.  I just hope it doesn’t end up screwing them again.

Nobody "loves" Henry. They couldn't even trade him.

Yes, he's great in the 4th when opposing defenses are tired. And when you give him a running start in the Wildcat.

But if you want to remain multiple, you keep giving Lewis run. In the 4th versus the Chargers ... who made the big play? 

What they want to see from Henry is do what Lewis has done. When given a few opportunities, make BIG plays to force their hand and give him more.

Lewis has done it, Henry has not.

And they're sick of waiting.

Edited by big2033

42 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

you didn't "losted" me anywhere. Was just pointing out that Eddie wasn't really all that good.

It's not like I was even remotely calling you out for being wrong

Ok, with that cleared out.

Eddie George was an asset for the Titans. Many of us who witnessed his career from day 1 in the NFL, he always ran with swagger and was a very important piece to lead the team to play his first and only SB. His numbers do not lie.