Thoughts on win vs Cowboys

OILERMAN

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know what will happen the rest of this season but last night gave me hope for the team going forward and into the future, even if they miss the playoffs this year. I have more hope with Marcus

I wonder if the last month the hand bothered Mariota more than anyone realized. He made throws last night  he hasn't made in a long time. He threw guys open, attempted passes before guys broke out of

Btw, I thought the team knew exactly what they had in Marcus and needed to make sure he was managed like a mediocre QB? 

Cue the beatdown from the Pats next week.

Some things I noticed...

They didn't run as much on first down.

I didn't count formations or anything but it felt like they ran way more 3 wide and shotgun.

Deon Lewis is a stud.  The interior blocking was still bad and he's not the best inside runner but if he can get a seam he can definitely create and he's a huge weapon in the screen game.  This is the first time all season that we really saw the screens working and it made a huge difference.  

Lafluer's best or maybe second best game as a playcaller this season.  He had a feel for when to call screens, when to go conservative, and when to get aggressive.  3rd down was really something.

The defense played great as usual.  Casey was wreaking havoc and their o-line sold out to slow him down which opened things up for some of the other players.  I really hope they invest up front this offseason because the pass rush could be really special.

I really liked what I saw from Evans last night.  He chased Zeke down the sideline and saved the TD (they scored anyways but it was a helluva hussle play).  He was active all night and you didn't see him getting abused in coverage.  Having Wesley Woodyard back was huge.  All in all the linebackers played really solid.

Vacarro was another guy who was a big plus to have back.  He's not the safety that Byard is but he's athletic, he's got range, and he doesn't get killed in coverage.  A really solid safety and exactly the guy they need back there.

I don't understand why they put Butler on Cooper thinking he was all of a sudden get better.  Adoree is your best corner right now so let him match up on the best guy.  They brought Butler's snaps down for a reason.  I was a little disappointed that they tried to force him back into the lineup and paid for it again.  At this point it's not one bad play and it's not miscommunication and it's not just a slump.  The guy is a liability and is getting constantly targeted when lined up on good WRs.  That has to be addressed.  Not sure I'm ready to start Sims but I'm definitely willing to reduce his snaps.  

Derrick Henry actually looked better in a limited role.  Maybe he was motivated because of lost snaps or maybe the changeup was difficult for the defense or they got tired after facing Lewis but he averaged like 5.4 yards a carry and looked good in that role.

The running game was better than the average indicated. 

The pass to Jennings is EXACTLY the type of plays Marcus has needed to hit on for a while.  In my opinion, that's the play that turned the game.  You don't need to hit on more than a few a game but you have to take those shots and I was glad to see them hit on a few big plays last night.

I'm sure there's more but I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.

Just now, TampaTitan said:

Did Fowler get on the field at all last night?

He was inactive, not unusual for recently signed players given the complexity of protection schemes which he would have to have down cold. Kudos to @OILERMAN fpr giving credit where credit is due rather than pushing an agenda. One thing I noticed, Evans, besides his regular LB play, was drafted for his ability to rush the passer and spy opposing QBs. Both Woodyard's and Brown's exceptional play in nickel situations have relegated him to be a 2 down, sometimes a one down player if the D is successful on first down. 

5 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

Kudos to @OILERMAN fpr giving credit where credit is due rather than pushing an agenda.  

I don't have an agenda, I tell it like it is with Mariota. I'd much rather him start playing like an all pro than like a bust

16 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

He was inactive, not unusual for recently signed players given the complexity of protection schemes which he would have to have down cold. Kudos to @OILERMAN fpr giving credit where credit is due rather than pushing an agenda. One thing I noticed, Evans, besides his regular LB play, was drafted for his ability to rush the passer and spy opposing QBs. Both Woodyard's and Brown's exceptional play in nickel situations have relegated him to be a 2 down, sometimes a one down player if the D is successful on first down. 

Evans is a rookie who missed camp. Hes a 3 down player.

we ran the ball too much.  neither guy is very effective running either because of themselves or the interior oline. it needs to improve. i think we invest at RB and Oline both in the offseason. 

when we try to be a tough running offense, we suck ass. ....

when we are a pass first offense and we spread it out, we move the ball and put up points. we've been asking for it despite OP stating it was impossible because mariota cant do it. 

13 minutes ago, titanruss said:

we ran the ball too much.  neither guy is very effective running either because of themselves or the interior oline. it needs to improve. i think we invest at RB and Oline both in the offseason. 

when we are a pass first offense and we spread it out, we move the ball and put up points. we've been asking for it despite OP stating it was impossible because mariota cant do it. 

They run 21 gut way too often with Lewis. I'd like to see them run more outside zone and mix it up with delays and draws up the middle which will take advantage of aggressive interior DL who want feast on the terrible interior of the Titans OL. 

That was a dominant win. The scoreboard is misleading, actually, We beat the shit out of Dallas. Butler gave up a stupid score in the first half. It really should have been 28 to 7, perhaps even 31 with the missed FG. Anyway, if you watch the game, we really took it to them. They did well in the first quarter. We were messy on both sides at first, but damn. This team has a LOT of promise going forward. 

Some of you should be enjoying this more. This is a team on the rise. We have a lot of young players making good plays right now. Every game this year, except the Ravens, has been FUN to watch. FUN TO WATCH. That's the goal, isn't it? One caught TD in the Bills game, and we are considered a top team.

At the start of this year, I said I'd be happy if we started 4-4 because we will improve as season continues. Well, here we are. I doubt we beat the Patriots, but who knows...they are beatable. If we do, watch out. If we don't, we are still in pretty good shape, actually. But whether this is our year or not, these coaches are legit. Lot of potential with this team right now.

20 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Jones has been terrible all year and was once again last night. Replace him and bring in some young guys to compete at G and you'll be amazed at the difference.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Cue the beatdown from the Pats next week.

I really don't think there is anyway its a beatdown.  Our defense is too solid to let the game get out of control.  Now odds are that we lose.

12 minutes ago, oldschool said:

They run 21 gut way too often with Lewis. I'd like to see them run more outside zone and mix it up with delays and draws up the middle which will take advantage of aggressive interior DL who want feast on the terrible interior of the Titans OL. 

They started hitting some of those outside zone runs this game, but up until then the line was just not cutting it on those zone plays.