Episode 168 - Loss To Chargers In London

Jamalisms

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

And where would your ideal landing spot be for Mariota? First he was with the wrong staff, now it's the team holding him back. If you could have him released and land anywhere where would this be? What team would we suddenly see this playmaking all pro QB flourish? 

I really don't care as long as I get to laugh at you when the new QB plays for the Titans. 

I think it's a great point that people aren't mentally prepared for Mariota to not be good. It's something I've been thinking for a long time.

People have been selectively ignoring the bad and only looking at the good pretty much since his first year. I remember talking about his 2016 season in the 2017 preseason. People forgot that he was basically terrible his first 4 and last 4 games of the year (with the playoffs on the line!). He was only good for that middle 50%. Yet everyone focused on the good. 

That's why if/when the dam breaks it's going to be pretty ugly emotionally for a lot of people lol.

I still say we should probably see if he can figure it out this and next year with some stability in a system. Partially due to him being young and not having much stability in his past, but also due to the lack of good options to go to anyway. The 2019 draft is looking sparse and the FA class is also bad. It's doubtful we could upgrade the position without spending a top draft pick in 2020 (which will not necessarily be an upgrade, but another gamble on a rookie QB with potential who is still most likely to not be good).

14 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I think it's a great point that people aren't mentally prepared for Mariota to not be good. It's something I've been thinking for a long time.

People have been selectively ignoring the bad and only looking at the good pretty much since his first year.

I've never seen anything like it since watching the NFL. It's not just homer fans either, it's the media too. I've never seen a QB play so poorly and get such a pass. 

It's a combo of things. Good attitude and high character, the great 8 game stretch, the demonizing of Mularkey and his offense, small market. 

We still having people saying he's playing fine etc.....

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I've never seen anything like it since watching the NFL. It's not just homer fans either, it's the media too. I've never seen a QB play so poorly and get such a pass. 

It's a combo of things. Good attitude and high character, the great 8 game stretch, the demonizing of Mularkey and his offense, small market. 

It's the fact the Titans are considered a shit organization with 3 systems in 4 years for Mariota. I think it's a factor but its not everything. Dude definitely gets a pass.

8 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Dude definitely gets a pass.

Every positive thing he does is magnified times 10 and every excuse in his favor is hammered home to no end(dropped passes)

I really think it's mostly that people don't care about the Titans at all and Mariota doesn't do anything to bring attention on himself (positive or negative).

None of the national media are going to waste their time looking at any part of our team. Why be critical of a player on a team that no one cares about?

On 10/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, OILERMAN said:

You do realize Mariota has at least somewhere between 275-300 yards if Taywan or CD don't drop pass right? 

And yes, he doesn't get hammered in the national media like Blake Bortles. But if you ask any casual fan they'll think Mariota is a scrub and a bust. The only ones defending him are Titans fans who watch the games and see he doesn't have much help. No one nationally thinks Marcus is any good.  They just group him with Winston saying he's slightly better but still a bust. They're just not talking about him because no one cares about the Titans.