A few thoughts

code

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not signing Ed Reed was definitely a mistake, no doubt about it.

I'm always surprised that when our fans watch games, they don't seem to make the same QB comparison.   In the first half, Rivers had lots of time to deliver balls and had receivers wide open

Admittedly have not read a single post on the board and did not participate on-line during the game.  Please, if I say something you don't agree with, realize that I am not directing my comments at an

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, code said:

6. Pass rush -> Not much of one. Watching Rivers get full :5 second reads vs MM having to start ducking and dodging in about 2.8 made me queasy. Phillip gets time to scan. Marcus largely has to let balls go before the break and hope he and WR are on same wavelength. 

8. Vrabel and going for 2 -> I heard all the talking heads saying that it was a mistake -- that we had dominated the second half -- that we had the momentum. Yeah, ok. But there were :30 left and I wasn't convinced we could keep the Chargers from immediately moving into field goal position. Seemed to me that whenever Phillip wanted to get the ball downfield, he could find a receiver. Our pass rush wasn't nearly fierce enough to move him from his preferred spots. Yes, we controlled the clock. But we didn't control their offense. And our offense while more effective still was far from dynamic. Other than the long run by Lewis, we were moving in 3 to 8 yard clips.  

#6...I wish more people would take this into consideration when ripping Mariota.  The time Flacco and Rivers had vs the time he had in the pocket is like night and day.  I get pissed when he doesn't let the ball rip but sad part is if he doesn't then it's over and the pocket is collapsing around him.  There was a great play today where Fluellen literally blocked our offensive lineman while the defender passed right by him.

#8  going for 2 pts would have had no bearing on the Chargers immediately moving into FG position and winning the game.  I'm cool with the walk off 2 pt conversion to win the game but that's not what that was.  We had to convert and still stop the Chargers...it was the wrong call

2 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

#6...I wish more people would take this into consideration when ripping Mariota.  The time Flacco and Rivers had vs the time he had in the pocket is like night and day.  I get pissed when he doesn't let the ball rip but sad part is if he doesn't then it's over and the pocket is collapsing around him.  There was a great play today where Fluellen literally blocked our offensive lineman while the defender passed right by him.

#8  going for 2 pts would have had no bearing on the Chargers immediately moving into FG position and winning the game.  I'm cool with the walk off 2 pt conversion to win the game but that's not what that was.  We had to convert and still stop the Chargers...it was the wrong call

?. 30 seconds is 3 plays. They would have needed 40 yards to get into range. 

Just now, JoelinBellevue said:

Mariota is a mid pack guy. Does some things well, but doesn't have that decisive NFL twitch that the great ones have. See it, hit it. Still not seeing the field. Left some points off the board.

Aside from about 5-6 guys most QBs are mid pack guys.

I don't think there are that many QBs, however, who play as well in pressure situations as Mariota.  Stafford obviously does.  The elite QBs player great in all situations.  But other than that?

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

?. 30 seconds is 3 plays. They would have needed 40 yards to get into range. 

people are implying that going for 2 pts was the right call because they didn't think we could stop the Chargers from getting into FG range with 30 seconds left.  They did have 2 time outs.

Getting the conversion didn't change the fact that we still had to stop the Chargers from getting into FG range.  40 yards with 30 seconds and  2 TOs  is not that crazy.

12 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

people are implying that going for 2 pts was the right call because they didn't think we could stop the Chargers from getting into FG range with 30 seconds left.  They did have 2 time outs.

Getting the conversion didn't change the fact that we still had to stop the Chargers from getting into FG range.  40 yards with 30 seconds and  2 TOs  is not that crazy.

That's the whole point. Regardless if the game is tied or the Titans lead by one, the time left doesn't matter if you think the Chargers would have scored. It doesnt factor into the decision.

I didn't state my point well.

I thought the Chargers offense was better than the Titans defense.

I preferred our chances to win in the final :30 -- as opposed to an overtime period.

That said, I thought that even if we scored the 2 points, Chargers would have been a tough out in the final :30.

Bottom line, I was in agreement with Vrabel.

You coach to give your team every opportunity to win.  If you can't flat out win with a given decision, then you coach to allow your team the opportunity to flat out win in the future.  

Even if you get the conversion, they beat you with a fg if you don't stop them.  

If you kick the point and you stop them or they miss a fg, you still have an opportunity to flat out win in OT. 

Going for two was the wrong move. The LAC were in the same situation regardless of a kick or a two pointer.  

19 hours ago, scine09 said:

LA had ample time to get into range.  The drive would have started at the 25.  They had 2 TO's.  They could have completed 3 balls easily, taking maybe 20 seconds, with still plenty of time to get into a closer FG range situation.

I think the idea behind going for it is to force action one way or another. We’ve seen time and time again when you tie the game and kick to a top tier QB with timeouts you’re likely going to lose the game in regulation, and then you’re likely to lose in OT. Going for it pushes the other team into a mode they would not be comfortable with in the same way as them knowing OT is guaranteed. It forces mistakes. It was the right call, but at 31 seconds I can see the argument for just kicking. Anything over 40 seconds and there isn’t a chance in hell I’m kicking it back to Rivers, Rothleisberger, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think the idea behind going for it is to force action one way or another. We’ve seen time and time again when you tie the game and kick to a top tier QB with timeouts you’re likely going to lose the game in regulation, and then you’re likely to lose in OT. Going for it pushes the other team into a force mode they would not be comfortable with in the same way as them knowing OT is guaranteed. It forces mistakes. It was the right call, but at 31 seconds I can see the argument for just kicking. Anything over 40 seconds and there isn’t a chance in hell I’m kicking it back to Rivers, Rothleisberger, Brady, Brees, one Rodgers. 

I personally don't think teams go for 2 enough.  I love the strategy that Pittsburgh's employed at times to go for 2 more than usual.  The conversion rate is over 50%.  You win in this league by being aggressive.  Not by just doing what other coaches would do.  Like in the Super Bowl last year.  The Eagles probably don't win by just kicking field goals.

I also would rarely punt and would always at least pretend to go for it on 4th and 5 or less.  Either draw them offsides and punt or actually go for it.

Football more than any other sport has too much conservative thinking.  Punting being the prime example.