Blaming MM for Baltimore loss is SAD

code

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just watched the ALL22 analysis of the 11 sack performance.   Guard play was abysmal.   WRs never got separation.   Yes,  MM missed on the downfield throw to Taylor.

It seems to me the whole idea behind this thread is that Mariota is getting 95% of the blame for the loss due to his poor performance.......and he wasn't even close to the worst player out there or th

Maybe not in so many words....but 95% of the criticism and finger-pointing in the past few days has been focused almost entirely on Mariota.   “Y’know, the O-line pretty much sucked...the WR

54 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

He's played two legitimate games other than the Ravens game, and that was against the Bills and the Eagles. One good, one subpar but we still should have beaten the Bills since we dropped a TD pass. Against the Jags he wasn't even supposed to play with his hand being hurt and came in against a top defense on the road and played ok and we won. We just haven't seen enough of him this season to really judge one way or the other.  

He gets the entire season.  One thing we agreed is no injuries.  He has to prove he can stay healthy and be available to help the team.  It's about his value to the team.  It's his 2018 season in total.  If he gets knocked out for the season, the season still counts.  We agreed if that happened, then he's injury prone.  NO EXCUSES.  

On 10/17/2018 at 10:08 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

Of course they were. It doesn’t mean we can’t look for solutions. They were hoping Williams could help, and he would have if he wasn’t garbage. Lewis could play that role. I wouldn’t have him running slant routes into LBs but he could run most of the other slot routes. I would even try Davis more often underneath. The NFL has seen how to dominate our offense, and the beatings will continue until morale improves. 

Speaking of @Superhorn

Where are you at with all of this mess? 

Just now seeing this.

The whole offense is a shit show.  Marcus had his own issues independent of a bad game plan.  So, he's complicit, too.  

There isn't a simple answer.  The offensive line is abysmal.  Pass protection is less than optimal, but I'd argue run blocking is where the real problem lies.  This isn't helped by the fact that LaFleur continues to invite defenders in the box with extra blockers every chance he gets.  I think he'd be wise to spread to run more like LA has done.

If I were LaFleur, I'd remove Jonnu as a starter, and stick with Stocker.  Run base 11 personnel, and make a total commitment to establishing the run.  This likely means making Lewis a pure 3DB, as he's been much worse than Henry in the run game (separate of the 1st game, which wouldn't look as skewed if not for a terrible holding call).  

We can spin our wheels arguing about Marcus' future here, etc, but the reality is that he's not ready to be relied upon to carry the offense week in week out.  That doesn't mean he can't or won't be that guy, but this one dimensional offense is a recipe for disaster.  

The Shanny offense is predicated on establishing the outside zone run, and building off of it.  Until that gets fixed, the offense will continue to perform erratically - at best.

59 minutes ago, Superhorn said:

Just now seeing this.

The whole offense is a shit show.  Marcus had his own issues independent of a bad game plan.  So, he's complicit, too.  

There isn't a simple answer.  The offensive line is abysmal.  Pass protection is less than optimal, but I'd argue run blocking is where the real problem lies.  This isn't helped by the fact that LaFleur continues to invite defenders in the box with extra blockers every chance he gets.  I think he'd be wise to spread to run more like LA has done.

If I were LaFleur, I'd remove Jonnu as a starter, and stick with Stocker.  Run base 11 personnel, and make a total commitment to establishing the run.  This likely means making Lewis a pure 3DB, as he's been much worse than Henry in the run game (separate of the 1st game, which wouldn't look as skewed if not for a terrible holding call).  

We can spin our wheels arguing about Marcus' future here, etc, but the reality is that he's not ready to be relied upon to carry the offense week in week out.  That doesn't mean he can't or won't be that guy, but this one dimensional offense is a recipe for disaster.  

The Shanny offense is predicated on establishing the outside zone run, and building off of it.  Until that gets fixed, the offense will continue to perform erratically - at best.

It seems we see this in the same light. 

I would add the caveat that the 11 personnel should mostly be based in shotgun spread similar to KC and NE. 

7 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Due to the makeup of Mariota, methodical, deliberate, bad pocket instincts, stare downs and slow to process, with the quality of players and the scheme they played, Sunday is exactly what you would expect to see.

And yet objectively, what you expect to see doesn't match the totality of what we've actually seen during his career. Last week was an outlier game and comparatively more of an outlier than Philly was, period.  No spin, just facts. 

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Teams have him and LaFluer figured out by now. The Eagles showed what not to do, the Bills showed what to do and the Ravens just critiqued it. They took every weakness Mariota has and exploited it, along with the O line. Shooting fish in a barrel. 

Oh yeah?

Care to say this exact thing more to hope it sticks?  

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Teams have him and LaFluer figured out by now. The Eagles showed what not to do, the Bills showed what to do and the Ravens just critiqued it. They took every weakness Mariota has and exploited it, along with the O line. Shooting fish in a barrel. 

Don't disagree with any of this and have expected defenses to figure Mariota out for a while now. I don't think Marcus is dead in the water but he needs to improve or we're fucked.

After watching Vrabel's Monday press conference and LaFleur's comments yesterday.....I don't expect much change or improvement in the running game.

Like any NFL coach, they talk about wanting to run the ball more....which means nothing.  Hell, Ken Whisenhunt said the same thing....and we saw how that turned out.  Every coach wants to run the ball.....the question is, how committed are they to making it happen?  Will they actually do it?

Judging by their comments, Vrabel and LaFleur don't seem to place a high priority on the running game or regard it as a critical component of the offense's identity;  they seem to regard it as a situation-dependent chess piece.   Their mindset isn't so much "we must establish the running game "....it's more like  "we want to be situations where we can run the ball".    They don't see it as a way of controlling and dictating the tempo and flow of the game;  it's just a way to pick up a few yards here and there.

I'm not suggesting that they ignore situational football and run the ball regardless of down/distance;  my concern is the overall mindset.    They either see the running game as a priority or they don't.   At this point, they seem to regard it as more of a wish-list item as opposed to a real priority.    Until they decide to make the running game integral to the team's identity, I don't anticipate much improvement.

52 minutes ago, nine said:

After watching Vrabel's Monday press conference and LaFleur's comments yesterday.....I don't expect much change or improvement in the running game.

Like any NFL coach, they talk about wanting to run the ball more....which means nothing.  Hell, Ken Whisenhunt said the same thing....and we saw how that turned out.  Every coach wants to run the ball.....the question is, will they actually do it?

Judging by their comments, Vrabel and LaFleur don't seem to place a high priority on the running game or regard it as a critical component of the offense's identity;  they seem to regard it as a situation-dependent chess piece.   Their mindset isn't so much "we must establish the running game "....it's more like  "we want to be situations where we can run the ball".    They don't see it as a way of controlling and dictating the tempo and flow of the game;  it's just a way to pick up a few yards here and there.

I'm not suggesting that they ignore situational football and run the ball regardless of down/distance;  my concern is the overall mindset.    They either see the running game as a priority or they don't.   At this point, they seem to regard it as more of a wish-list item as opposed to a real priority.    Until they decide to make the running game integral to the team's identity, I don't anticipate much improvement.

You’re longing for Mularkey 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Nope.

There were plenty of areas where I didn't necessarily agree with Mularkey's approach, but I always admired his dedication to the running game.   Even if it wasn't always successfully implemented...there was no questioning his level of commitment.

I was never as down on Mularkey as some are.  Considering the situation when he took over, he did a lot of good for the team and for the organization as a whole....but there were still a number of glaring issues and he sealed his own fate by refusing to acknowledge or address them.   He chose to be fired....and I'm fine with that.

To all the great minds who know exactly what the Titans need to do.  These are the same coaches who just two weeks ago we anointed front runners for COY.  They came up with a game plan to beat Houston.  They came up with a game plan to beat the Jags.  They planned the Eagles game.  Every thing you suggest has already been considered by them.  They may decide to do it, they may not.  

This is now the third coaching staff that we feel doesn't know how to coach Mariota.  Whiz.  Mularkey.  Vrabel.  

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Mularkey's run scheme was awesome. The play-calling and passing game however were pretty bad. I turned on Mularkey late but would've been fine with him going forward had he let Robiskie go and brought in a real OC to help the passing game. 

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

To all the great minds who know exactly what the Titans need to do.  These are the same coaches who just two weeks ago we anointed front runners for COY.  They came up with a game plan to beat Houston.  They came up with a game plan to beat the Jags.  They planned the Eagles game.  Every thing you suggest has already been considered by them.  They may decide to do it, they may not.  

This is now the third coaching staff that we feel doesn't know how to coach Mariota.  Whiz.  Mularkey.  Vrabel.  

Don't let the chicken littles fool you; this is a good coaching staff.