Was Mariota really that bad against Buffalo?

Pray_iv_m3rcy

12 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

If Martz hadn’t of been blown up off the snap he puts the ball inside for an easy TD. People kept wondering why we didn’t open up. That play is a perfect example. Mariota would have been wrecked if we spread. 

Teams spread the field and go to the quick passing game to offset OT play all the time. Dont believe me? Google quotes from NFL QBs like Brady.

The game plan was too conservative and they didnt adjust.  Vrabel is doing a lot of things well but he needs to let the OC be the OC. McVay said it best, "we attack success". I'd like to see the offense open up. If Mariota cant handle it we need to know. If Taylor and Sharpe cant contribute with Davis being double teamed we need to know. I'd rather find out if Mariota is the guy than pull a Bills and barely make the playoffs with nothing to grow on in 2019.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Teams spread the field and go to the quick passing game to offset OT play all the time. Dont believe me? Google quotes from NFL QBs like Brady.

The game plan was too conservative and they didnt adjust.  Vrabel is doing a lot of things well but he needs to let the OC be the OC. McVay said it best, "we attack success". I'd like to see the offense open up. If Mariota cant handle it we need to know. If Taylor and Sharpe cant contribute with Davis being double teamed we need to know. I'd rather find out if Mariota is the guy than pull a Bills and barely make the playoffs with nothing to grow on in 2019.

Dude Martz was getting his face caved in out there. The game plan could have been more aggressive, but it was lack of execution and not coaching that lost us the game. 3 turnovers, dropped TD, and a another missed opportunity by Williams. Without the ample amount of mistakes we would have blown their doors off. 

If anything Henry should have continued to get fed in the fourth quarter. They went away from him and Lewis was hot garbage. We paid for it with his fumble and overall subpar play. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

If Mariota cant handle it we need to know. If Taylor and Sharpe cant contribute with Davis being double teamed we need to know. I'd rather find out if Mariota is the guy than pull a Bills and barely make the playoffs with nothing to grow on in 2019.

Don't you think it's more likely that they have already decided (so far) that Mariota can't handle it?  I mean, it's not as if Vrabel and LaFleur are trying to lose out there.

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

Dude Martz was getting his face caved in out there. The game plan could have been more aggressive, but it was lack of execution and not coaching that lost us the game. 3 turnovers, dropped TD, and a another missed opportunity by Williams. Without the ample amount of mistakes we would have blown their doors off. 

If anything Henry should have continued to get fed in the fourth quarter. They went away from him and Lewis was hot garbage. We paid for it with his fumble and overall subpar play. 

Going into a shell because the team committed a few turnovers is a loser's mentality. Not to mention doing so allows the Bills to stay in the game and leads to a dropped TD being the difference. They could have tried a few things to help Martz and they didn't. I agree on Henry; he should have been given more carries in the 2nd half of the 3rd and the 4th quarter in general. Last week was the by the worst coaching job this staff has done over the first 5 games of the season. Hopefully they learn from it and move on.

Just now, Denali said:

Don't you think it's more likely that they have already decided (so far) that Mariota can't handle it?  I mean, it's not as if Vrabel and LaFleur are trying to lose out there.

No because if they had, then going into the season with Gabbert as the backup was criminal. If they gave up on Mariota without seeing him in the new offense then Jrob should be skewered for not doing something about it. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Going into a shell because the team committed a few turnovers is a loser's mentality. Not to mention doing so allows the Bills to stay in the game and leads to a dropped TD being the difference. They could have tried a few things to help Martz and they didn't. I agree on Henry; he should have been given more carries in the 2nd half of the 3rd and the 4th quarter in general. Last week was the by the worst coaching job this staff has done over the first 5 games of the season. Hopefully they learn from it and move on.

Agreed it was their worst week. Still, there’s a difference between bad coaching costing your team a W and not making proper adjustments. We win that game going away if it wasn’t for Williams, Taylor, and Lewis shitting the bed. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

12 minutes ago, oldschool said:

No because if they had, then going into the season with Gabbert as the backup was criminal. If they gave up on Mariota without seeing him in the new offense then Jrob should be skewered for not doing something about it. 

Worthy of another thread perhaps, but if you think about it, where does Gabbert rank when compared to all of the other backups in the league?  IMHO, nowadays, when looking at the list of all of the backup QBs in the NFL, it's a real shit show anyway.

56 minutes ago, oldschool said:

53 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Agreed it was their worst week. Still, there’s a difference between bad coaching costing your team a W and not making proper adjustments. We win that game going away if it wasn’t for Williams, Taylor, and Lewis shitting the bed

I know I've been coming across as a big Derrick Henry homer this week....but the fact is, he played lights out last week.   That game could have (and maybe should have) been one of the best games of Henry's career....but the coaches refused to let it happen.     

Henry played a great game from start to finish.   He ran hard and produced results all day long....and he was still making things happen in the fourth quarter.   But rather than recognizing and capitalizing on Henry's strong performance, the coaching staff took him off the field and put the game into the hands of Mariota and Lewis, both of whom had struggled all day long.

From day one, the coaches have talked about putting players in a position to succeed.   They've sung the praises of both running backs and talked about giving both guys their touches and leaning on the hot hand.

In last week's game, Henry had the hot hand, while Mariota and Lewis were struggling and largely ineffective.    Rather than recognizing this, the coaches pulled the hot hand off the field and put the game on the shoulders of two players who had struggled all day.....and not surprisingly, their struggles continued.   

It was a huge blunder by the coaching staff.....and they have to recognize it and be better.   They've preached for months about giving the hot hand more opportunities....and they've done a great job of giving Lewis more touches when he's rolling and playing well.   But in a game where the hot hand went to Henry....they pulled him off the field.

4 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

One TD pass was barely catchable. You lose all credibility when you claim it was dropped. While it's frustrating to see a real dropped pass, there are far more bad passes thrown in a game. It pretty much evens out, for ALL quarterbacks.

What the hell are you talking about? I saw two catchable balls. Receivers should be able to make minor adjustments to make a play. 

5 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

One TD pass was barely catchable. You lose all credibility when you claim it was dropped. While it's frustrating to see a real dropped pass, there are far more bad passes thrown in a game. It pretty much evens out, for ALL quarterbacks.

This is professional football. Both of those are supposed to be catches. 

5 hours ago, scine09 said:

The thing is, it wouldn't have changed his performance.  It would have changed the perception of his performance.  Which is why, like you and I both said in the other thread, the stats that are recorded need to be what should have happened and not what actually happened.

If he passes on 4 open WRs when he should have thrown the ball we won’t til later if ever. 

Notice how the good QBs actually have real stats and production?

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

I agree. It was one thing when both tackles were out & Gabbert was the QB. But you can't go into a shell everytime your best lineman gets hurt. 

Plus, while Marz certainty had a tough time, I've seen way worse. He actually opened up some nice holes in the running game. There's plenty of good offenses with issues on the OL. The Texans have 5 guys out there about on the same level as Marz.

Mariota 2018  2 TD   4 INT   696 yds  72.3 pr

Mariota 2017  13 TD  15 INT  3,232 yds  79.9 pr

We pretty much all agreed that 2017 was somewhat of a wash because of his injury, but we ALL had high hopes/beliefs 2018 would be Rams like production. 

Now is 2018.  Why do we have to be told how to look at Mariota's play in a game where he had a 51.2 pr to see he was actually very good?  I would pay money to see one of these writers go on SC or NFLTV and explain this to one of the panels on there.  I would love to see the questions and answers.

After Vrabel/LeFleur coach the Eagles game, they were in line for COY.  Next week, when Mariota tosses up a 52-they blew it--Mariota had a good game.  Is there possibly some type of bias?