Episode 167 - Loss To The Bills, Ratbird Week

Jamalisms

Scotty and Jamal return (finally) to recap the crushing loss to the Buffalo Bills, take a look at the Titans as a whole and recalibrate after losing to (likely) the worst team in football. Looking forward, how good are the Ravens and what will it take to avoid back to back losses?

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_167.mp3

And here I was so depressed about not having the podcast this week. 

Pretty spot on. I actually think when it comes to the run game woes, a little too much blame being cast on the interior OL and not enough on the TEs (some blame was cast here, but not enough). 

Kline has played poorly. Spain has played well. Jones has actually played well the last few weeks also, with a few bad moments sprinkled in. 

But Jonnu and Stocker have been downright awful run blocking. I think things will improve with the run game overall as the guys upfront settle into a zone blocking scheme. In this zone blocking scheme, the TE run blocking is critical and they’re failing miserably. 

Jonnu is simply not an inline blocking type tight end and Stocker has played his entire career in a power man blocking scheme, so this scheme is a big adjustment for him. 

But if things don’t dramatically improve in that area, I would let Stocker walk in FA and relegate Jonnu Smith to third  or 4th string. Then sign an experienced zone blocking tight end like Logan Paulsen in FA and draft a balanced TE to play behind Walker next year. 

Unfortunately, the way Kline’s contract is structured we’re likely stuck with him another year at least. So maybe you look at improving his spot in the 2020 offseason and extending Spain this year. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Jamal is going to need to add the explicit tag to the podcast...

10 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Uh oh. Jonboy just died a little on the inside.

P.  Kuharsky:  Is this why Jonboy left the podcast?  He took a knee and wanted no part of the rampant cussing?  So then, Jonboy is no longer one of "The Boys"?  Why isn't he?  And why isn't there more info being brought out on this debacle?  I'm just asking the tough questions here, it's my job!  Answer me, god damnit!

:P 

8 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Spain hasn't been good.

I’ve seen multiple breakdowns this season showing plays where he has played well and Beddingfield has pointed out that he’s played well also. I think he even referred to him playing as a top level guard recently, but maybe it was someone else.

Am I missing something? 

The reaction to the idea that Mariota would have been referred to as a gamer if Nick WIlliams had caught the ball was just odd. The fact is Mariota was a gamer in that situation. Nick Williams dropping the ball doesn't change that fact. Mariota put the team in position to win the game. Just like he did when he put the ball right on the money to Jennings against the Eagles. This is not a bad trait that Mariota has a lot of game-winning comebacks, even though on the podcast it almost seemed that's the light it was being cast in. It's as if it's not possible for Mariota to both be getting better and still have shit to work on with his game. Like it's a light that he just flips the switch on and automatically goes from being a project with potential to bonafide star. It's not possible to be a mix of both. There is no inbetween, not even when he's working in a 3rd offensive system in four years. Not even when he had the year he had last year, yet still managed to strap his team to his back and essentially will them to a playoff win on the road in KC.

For as much anticipation and excitement over the offense this year, there were equal parts trepidation over the fact that it would be yet another system for Mariota to learn and grow comfortable in with guys who were still getting used to playing together. Then the nerve issue happened, which added an element of complication. The point is the up and down shit was even expected by everyone, even by people who thought this offense would take off like a rocket, so why err on the side of the view that worries he won't be any good or is a lost cause or someone without a future? You don't see how that's tunnel vision? It's like looking at a 5 mile trip through 1/4 mile goggles and drawing limited conclusions. It's no more informative than looking at his game against the Eagles and determining that he's well on his way to being a Pro Bowl fixture.

Well, I guess I simply disagree that it's a negative to note that even in bad games he's been clutch ... and I disagree that it's tunnel vision to err on the side of worry, given the entire last year of play.

In fact, I think I was emphasizing the positive ... and that it's blind nonsense to ignore such a prolonged period of negative play.

4 hours ago, tgo said:

I’ve seen multiple breakdowns this season showing plays where he has played well and Beddingfield has pointed out that he’s played well also. I think he even referred to him playing as a top level guard recently, but maybe it was someone else.

Am I missing something? 

He’s playing well, especially in pass protection. The shitshow around him makes it all relative. The line is failing at multiple spots in different ways. They need to get it fixed. 

I’m surprised Kline is struggling so much. I would have thought he was perfect for this scheme, a stronger version of Levitre. I guess that happens when you typecast a guy. He’s very good at pulling and is still fairly solid in pass protection, but he’s having real issues holding up at the point of attack as well as sliding to the next level in the run game. 

• Jamalisms unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, tgo said:

Am I missing something? 

On 10/13/2018 at 6:04 PM, IsntLifeFunny said:

He’s playing well, especially in pass protection. The shitshow around him makes it all relative. The line is failing at multiple spots in different ways. They need to get it fixed. 

I’m surprised Kline is struggling so much. I would have thought he was perfect for this scheme, a stronger version of Levitre. I guess that happens when you typecast a guy. He’s very good at pulling and is still fairly solid in pass protection, but he’s having real issues holding up at the point of attack as well as sliding to the next level in the run game. 

Back up off me!

Archived