Sign in to follow this  
tgo

MCM All-22 Review of Buffalo Game

tgo   

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2018/10/11/17954936/all-22-review-titans-offense-lets-one-slip-away

"To this point in the season, the Titans have had at least two tight ends on the field for 64% of their runs per Sharp Football Stats. That’s the highest usage of multiple tight ends on running plays in the NFL through 5 weeks, nearly double the league average of 37%."

"It’s fairly obvious looking at both the numbers and the tape that the Titans need to consider taking some tight ends off the field and spreading out the defense to run the ball. To their credit, they’ve certainly upped the amount of runs from 11 personnel over the last two weeks. In Weeks 1-3 about two-thirds of their runs came out of 12 personnel. In Weeks 4 and 5 that mix has gone to 50-50. I think it should continue to head in the direction of 11 personnel until the Titans have more than one tight end that proves to be capable of consistently winning as a run blocker."

nine   

The two TE thing wouldn't be such a huge issue if guys were executing.....but they're not.    No amount of  strategy or creativity can make up for piss-poor execution.

This review simply underscores what we already know:   the TE position pretty much sucks right now.    They've been utterly invisible in the passing game and deserve a great deal of blame for the lagging the running game.

Cyrus   

On that play with the PA deep comeback by Davis, I think Stocker is supposed to chip and leak out to the flats. I think that's the primary read. Instead he ends up taking on a LB instead of letting the RB pick him up in pass pro. (watch Dion Lewis react). He ends up getting into his route really, really late. I don't think the ball is really intended to go to Davis at all unless there's some type of alert. Just bad execution by the offense as a whole. 

OILERMAN   

I don't know how people could bash exotic smashmouth and not be unhappy with this offense they are currently running. 

I know why Buffalo ran the offense they did Sunday, why did the Titans? 

47 minutes ago, Stan17 said:

That is an incredibly telling stat, and one that I'm sure other teams have picked up in by watching film on us. Tipping our hand so heavily is undoubtedly having a negative affect on our run game. 

Similar to when Mularkey went Jumbo with Kelly and always got stuffed. Not exactly a secret.

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

I don't know how people could bash exotic smashmouth and not be unhappy with this offense they are currently running. 

Someone couldn't throw deep. 

OILERMAN   

I think it's pretty obvious LaFleur did call plays that attacked the Bills down the field and they were open, someone didn't pull the trigger like he fails to do time and time again. As I said all last year, "Throw the freakin ball!"

Too many people were making excuses like this:

Mariota had several puzzling decisions throughout this game. Here, the Titans are selling the play action pass as hard as possible. They have 13 personnel on the field with Davis as the only wide receiver (spotlighted). Tennessee fakes the handoff and sends Davis as the sole receiving option downfield.

Max protect and only a 1 man route(two counting Stocker as the safety valve)!!!! OMG the horror!

OILERMAN   
19 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

On that play with the PA deep comeback by Davis, I think Stocker is supposed to chip and leak out to the flats. I don't think the ball is really intended to go to Davis at all unless there's some type of alert. Just bad execution by the offense as a whole. 

This is absolutely ridiculous

Of course Davis is the intended target

tgo   
40 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I think it's pretty obvious LaFleur did call plays that attacked the Bills down the field and they were open, someone didn't pull the trigger like he fails to do time and time again. As I said all last year, "Throw the freakin ball!"

Too many people were making excuses like this:

Mariota had several puzzling decisions throughout this game. Here, the Titans are selling the play action pass as hard as possible. They have 13 personnel on the field with Davis as the only wide receiver (spotlighted). Tennessee fakes the handoff and sends Davis as the sole receiving option downfield.

Max protect and only a 1 man route(two counting Stocker as the safety valve)!!!! OMG the horror!

But Mularkey is a retard that couldn’t even coach a high school team and LaFleur is the golden boy genius. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Because Taylor fumbled and then Lewan went out. It isn’t complicated. 

OILERMAN   
6 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Because Taylor fumbled and then Lewan went out. It isn’t complicated. 

Taylor fumbling led to the 117 yard passing?

Lewan missed almost the whole GB game and the offense was fine. 

OILERMAN   
10 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He was double covered. 

Davis is running a deep comeback (likely an automatic adjustment off a deep post if they see a single high safety look like this) and he gets open, but Mariota looks off of him before he even sinks his hips to break back. Davis ends up getting open and there is no pressure coming that forces him to check it down to Stocker (who is tightly covered and can’t make the catch).

He was wide open