Sign in to follow this  
MIKE75

Titans Are Fine Defensively,Offense Needs Fixing

MIKE75   

It is definitely driving everyone crazy watching this offense struggle.

It went on with Robiskie/Mularkey and STILL happening now with LaFleur

Another thing though is they need to figure out what they want to do and stick with it.

What pisses me off is we should be running the ball down every teams throat and its not happening.

What i would love to do is possibly trade Henry and get a couple players possibly another RB and definitely a WR

Not sure if this is Henry's issue or an O line one.

Last but not least i think Mariota is fine we need to upgrade the talent on offense across the board--O line, R back W receiver

Mariota needs a better supporting cast. Dion Lewis is fine but we need a better back to complment him,Our offensive line needs an improvement in a couple spots and for the love of god we need some better WR that can catch the damn ball.

Edited by MIKE75

Soxcat   

OK how about identifying one of two places we need to upgrade.  A 5 yr old perspective the whole offense sucks is lunacy.  Henry average 5.1 YPC but he is the guy we need to get rid of?  We should seriously look at seeing what Levin can do at C or RG.  Those are the two OL spots holding us back right now.  And yea, it sucks we have had a few big drops (Jennings had one last week).   So we should dismantle the entire WR group? 

Maybe we need Sharpe, Taylor and Davis on the field as a trio more.  That means one of them has to play in the slot.  But those are our best three WRs. 

MIKE75   
50 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

OK how about identifying one of two places we need to upgrade.  A 5 yr old perspective the whole offense sucks is lunacy.  Henry average 5.1 YPC but he is the guy we need to get rid of?  We should seriously look at seeing what Levin can do at C or RG.  Those are the two OL spots holding us back right now.  And yea, it sucks we have had a few big drops (Jennings had one last week).   So we should dismantle the entire WR group? 

Maybe we need Sharpe, Taylor and Davis on the field as a trio more.  That means one of them has to play in the slot.  But those are our best three WRs. 

Whats crazy is in 2016 we were doing pretty good offensively that year.

Maybe you are right that improving our line would help matters.

Lewan and Conklin can't seem to stay on the field together long. Be great when they both heal.

The drops are just killing us.

tgo   

I still think one of the biggest issues with the OL and TEs is going to a predominatly zone blocking scheme. Jones is the only one with any NFL experience playing in it, and it's a huge adjustment. It's just as much of an adjustment for the tight ends btw. 

This is another side effect of the scheme change. 

That's not to say the interior guys couldn't all 3 be upgraded over time, but for now they just all need to keep getting acclimated to the new blocking scheme. 

There will need to be some new parts added to the offense this coming offseason. There will be plenty of personnel avenues to improve the offense if Robinson takes them. 

The good thing is this coaching staff will have a better idea of what they have now and what they don't have and will be able to tell the personnel guys exactly what they need. 

Face   
10 minutes ago, tgo said:

Lewan is the best run blocking OL we have. 

This. If anything Lewan hasn't been as dominant in pass pro as you'd like to see for a guy paid like he is, at least since October or so of last year. But that's being picky. But in 2016 he was the best run blocking tackle in the league & one of the best since last year.

I actually thought Marz had some nice run blocks yesterday & then PFF validated that in their post game write up. For all the talk about how Pamphile & Kelly filled in I think Marz was clearly better then both in his starts. He also held his own in his start in SD last year. I hate rooting for injury but Marz has played guard plenty in the preseason, I wouldn't mind a 1-2 week Kline stinger or something to see how Levin or Marz would look.

tgo   
1 minute ago, Face said:

This. If anything Lewan hasn't been as dominant in pass pro as you'd like to see for a guy paid like he is, at least since October or so of last year. But that's being picky. But in 2016 he was the best run blocking tackle in the league & one of the best since last year.

I actually thought Marz had some nice run blocks yesterday & then PFF validated that in their post game write up. For all the talk about how Pamphile & Kelly filled in I think Marz was clearly better then both in his starts. He also held his own in his start in SD last year. I hate rooting for injury but Marz has played guard plenty in the preseason, I wouldn't mind a 1-2 week Kline stinger or something to see how Levin or Marz would look.

Oh man, get Levin in there if one of the interior guys goes down. He looked really good in preseason. 

Soxcat   

JRob might want to consider using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on an OG or C who looks to be a good zone blocking guy.  That guy with Levin could eventually give us a quality interior.  Spain has been our best interior guy so far with a PFF grade of 70 (ranks him at #11 overall and better than Warford, Long, Zeitler, Nelson, DeCastro and Yanda so far this year).   

We do have to hope some of the issues are with the guys still not in sync with the new system.  But then again Jones has previous experience in a zone blocking scheme at C and OG and he has been pretty bad so far. 

Face   
3 minutes ago, tgo said:

I still think one of the biggest issues with the OL and TEs is going to a predominatly zone blocking scheme. Jones is the only one with any NFL experience playing in it, and it's a huge adjustment. It's just as much of an adjustment for the tight ends btw. 

This is another side effect of the scheme change. 

That's not to say the interior guys couldn't all 3 be upgraded over time, but for now they just all need to keep getting acclimated to the new blocking scheme. 

There will need to be some new parts added to the offense this coming offseason. There will be plenty of personnel avenues to improve the offense if Robinson takes them. 

The good thing is this coaching staff will have a better idea of what they have now and what they don't have and will be able to tell the personnel guys exactly what they need. 

I was going to mention something similar to this. OL play is weird, and often difficult to grade. It's not as simple as having 5 good players. For example, look at the last few years of Fisher's tenure. In '08 our run game was tremendous & '09 it was completely & utterly dominant. Granted, CJ was a special back but still, there were some gaping holes & LDW ran very well in '08 as well & he was running about a 6.3 40 at the time. Our center was Mawae & LG was Amano. Both terrible individual players at that point. Jake Scott was very underrated here & was a top shelf pass blocker at the other guard spot but was below average in the running game. But anyway, 2 dominant running years & even more dominant pass blocking. Dinger was the OC & while his passing game was more wide open then Shanahan (he came from Denver), the running game was mostly the same. Zone. 

Now the tackles were obviously very good in Roos & Stewart but there were games where Mike Otto & even Leroy Harris played RT & the line dominated.

Point being....well I think there's 2 points. With OL play the sum is almost always greater or less than the parts. More then any other position I think you see OL either play better or worse then their individual talent. Right now there is clearly a systemic issue. Jones & Kline have been bad but Spain has been very good. And the tackles have missed time but even together it looked the same. Something isn't working. It could be the switch to zone but usually teams take off right away when they switch to zone. But I just don't know what the problem is.

The other issue is the TE's. TE blocking is so underrated in running games. In '08 & '09 Alge Crumpler was an absolute bone cruncher. He couldn't run a route anymore, but he was 6'2 & probably 280-285 & killed folks. Craig Stevens was our 2nd best run blocking TE at the time, which says a lot. There's a reason the 1st thing JRob did here was extend Stevens & "overpay" him. Blocking TE's are way more important then fans realize. And right now Jonnu Smith might be a worse run blocker then pass catcher.

Face   
6 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

JRob might want to consider using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on an OG or C who looks to be a good zone blocking guy.  That guy with Levin could eventually give us a quality interior.  Spain has been our best interior guy so far with a PFF grade of 70 (ranks him at #11 overall and better than Warford, Long, Zeitler, Nelson, DeCastro and Yanda so far this year).   

We do have to hope some of the issues are with the guys still not in sync with the new system.  But then again Jones has previous experience in a zone blocking scheme at C and OG and he has been pretty bad so far. 

I remember in one of Spain's scouting reports it said that he'd likely be much better then you'd think in a zone scheme because of his length, there's often "reach" blocks, and he's just a much better athlete then people think. Remember in the 2016 preseason, when the fan called that play that he pulled on? I was shocked how fast he was.

And PFF is spot on with that Spain grade, he's been a force since week 1. JRob screwed up big time IMO. He should've looked Spain up to a reasonable extension. It was obvious how much he was missed when he came back last year. He basically shut Aaron Donald down & destroyed people in the playoffs. He's a huge, athletic guy that had some technique issues & he's coming into his own. We need to lock him down with Lewan & set the left side for the next half decade. I'll be furious if he walks because we paid fucking Kline.

It would be interesting if Walker were healthy to see his targets.  I'm not sure this offense wants to feature a TE.  The Rams TEs don't have much production.  Now whether that's due to scheme or talent I couldn't say. 

OILERMAN   
44 minutes ago, Face said:

When I watched the game again I was surprised at Marz, he held up well. He gave up a sack but even then Mariota held the ball too long

Soxcat   
17 minutes ago, Face said:

I remember in one of Spain's scouting reports it said that he'd likely be much better then you'd think in a zone scheme because of his length, there's often "reach" blocks, and he's just a much better athlete then people think. Remember in the 2016 preseason, when the fan called that play that he pulled on? I was shocked how fast he was.

And PFF is spot on with that Spain grade, he's been a force since week 1. JRob screwed up big time IMO. He should've looked Spain up to a reasonable extension. It was obvious how much he was missed when he came back last year. He basically shut Aaron Donald down & destroyed people in the playoffs. He's a huge, athletic guy that had some technique issues & he's coming into his own. We need to lock him down with Lewan & set the left side for the next half decade. I'll be furious if he walks because we paid fucking Kline.

Spain played in a zone scheme in college as well.  I thought he would have been our best RT when Conklin was out and Kelly couldn't go.  I do think Kline and Jones simply get out powered too often.

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

When I watched the game again I was surprised at Marz, he held up well. He gave up a sack but even then Mariota held the ball too long

Marz didn't look bad.  Wonder if he can play RG.  We could insert Levin and Marz into the C and RG spots.