nine

Running game vs. Bills

nine   

IMO, today's game was the O-line's best performance so far this season in terms of opening up running lanes and giving Henry and Lewis an opportunity to do their jobs.   It obviously wasn't a *strong* performance by the O-line...but at least they were average, which is a dramatic improvement over what we saw in weeks 1-4.

I also felt that LaFleur should have been more committed to the running game when it appeared to be working and Mariota clearly  wasn't sharp.

Here's every carry from both RBs, as taken from the play-by-play on NFL.com

Derrick Henry

Total: 12 carries, 57 yards, 3 first downs

Deon Lewis

1 *lost fumble*

Total: 12 carries, 34 yards, 2 first downs, 1 fumble 

Lewis was pretty ineffective today. Henry had over 6ypc in his first 5 runs and they went away from him. I wish they Would stick with whichever RB is playing the best instead of worrying about splitting carries evenly. 

Huston   
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

I'll be shocked if this thread makes it past 3 pages. 

Yep because Henry actually played well with his limited carries and Lewis is looking more and more like a strictly third down back regardless of how you feel about Henry.

Huston   
9 minutes ago, gaskill15 said:

Lewis was awful today. 

He wasn't good and is trying to juke to much and needs to get upfiled, sound familiar lol.

Huston   

Lewis had 4 negative carries and has looked worse in the running game the last what 3 games and is getting paid how much, where is all the angst for him. But everyone ones to hate on Henry who has actually made plays and help win games since he has been here.

2 minutes ago, Huston said:

Lewis had 4 negative carries and has looked worse in the running game the last what 3 games and is getting paid how much, where is all the angst for him. But everyone ones to hate on Henry who has actually made plays and help win games since he has been here.

And rarely ever fumbles...

Mythos27   
6 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The biggest mistake of the day was going away from Henry. 

I love Lewis's versatility as much as anyone but it was clear that Henry was having more success vs the Bills. I liked that we rode Lewis when he had the hot hand in week one, we should've done the same with Henry this week. 

Mythos27   
7 hours ago, Huston said:

Lewis had 4 negative carries and has looked worse in the running game the last 4 games and is getting paid how much, where is all the angst for him. But everyone ones to hate on Henry who has actually made plays and help win games since he has been here.

Fixed.

25 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I love Lewis's versatility as much as anyone but it was clear that Henry was having more success vs the Bills. I liked that we rode Lewis when he had the hot hand in week one, we should've done the same with Henry this week. 

No argument from me. Henry started to get going early in the 4th and they went away from him. They should have kept attacking the right edge with both RBs. Bad play calling all around. Lafleur will learn.

Mythos27   
Just now, oldschool said:

No argument from me. Henry started to get going early in the 4th and they went away from him. They should have kept attacking the right edge with both RBs. Bad play calling all around. Lafleur will learn.

Agreed. Also, why do I feel like we didn't throw Lewis the ball enough? With our receiver situation he should get 10+ targets a game and I'm not exaggerating in the least.

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Agreed. Also, why do I feel like we didn't throw Lewis the ball enough? With our receiver situation he should get 10+ targets a game and I'm not exaggerating in the least.

I believe they were spying Lewis. The screen we tried to run was blown up immediately, and almost a pick. The Bills scheme was a mix of front pressure and dropping into coverage. Take away Lewis and force M8 to throw downfield.  With Lewan gone it got even easier.  We tried one pass to Henry early then gave up on it. LF called way too many back to back runs. The variety was terrible.