Ten Observations

code

1. The defense did not lose this game. They gave up 13 points. They gave up very few yards. They were put in bad positions by offensive turnovers. 

2. Marcus Mariota did not lose this game. As always he made a throw that should have been the game winner. He was under constant pressure, typically right up the middle, the worst type of pressure. His one INT was on Nick Williams. The dropped pass was on Nick Williams. 

3. The play calling was just so interesting. Clearly Lafleur knew something about Marcus that the injury report did not include. He didn't have him challenging the edges running the ball. He didn't have him throw the ball deep. His game call was largely for plays within 10 yards of the LOS. Yeah, I questioned it all day long. I questioned why we never committed to the passing game. I questioned why on a day where Henry was the more impactful back we were running Lewis. But something was amiss here. And I suspect we will learn about it some time later this year.

4. Evans isn't giving us what we need as of yet. But the reps he is getting should help him to play faster down the road. Of course, when we compare Maholmes to MM and Evans to Mack, it's easy to say that the very best players make huge impacts immediately and those that don't may be just good players.

5. If I had to pin the loss on two things, I would pin it first on the lack of enough offensive playmakers, and on the not nearly good enough play by the offensive line.

6. But the coaching staff is going to put this on 3 turnovers, at least 2 of which just shut down whatever momentum we were building at the time and all three led to Browns points.

7. The Lewan injury is huge. Hard to believe that we give huge contracts to both Walker and Lewan and we lose both (though Lewan isn't officially done -- heard a pop in the foot doesn't sound good.

8. So were we flat or were we just out physical'ed up front on both sides of the ball?

Can't get to 10. The game just wasn't all that compelling. Give Buffalo credit, they did just enough to win capitalizing on all of our mistakes.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's protecting Williams. Did you see him explain to Williams he has to cut across the defender after the play?

Marcus will take the blame whether it's his fault or not. He's been doing it since his rookie year. Can we stop with this "even he admits it!" BS. That's what high character players do, they point the

He is going to say that regardless, it was on Williams period.

Just now, SuperFreak90 said:

Then you don't know football. No you can't. Football is a game of inches, and big plays here and there. Mistakes will kill you

Oh please, Seahawks won a game last week going 0-10 on 3rd down. Titans should have won this game even with the turnovers. 

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

In the presser Mariota said the Bills disguised the coverage and he shouldn't have thrown the INT

He probably shouldn't have thrown it, but not crossing the corner's face was on Williams. At worst it should have been incomplete. Marcus is not going to throw his receiver under the bus, so of course he's going to take the blame.