Mariota's incredible accuracy on deep throws

nine

So I'm sitting here pondering the deep throws Mariota made in last week's game, and something occurs to me: 

Since the beginning of the regular season,  Marcus has attempted seven passes of 30+ yards in the air.....and he's nailed every one of them.     Not only has he delivered consistently accurate and catchable deep throws.....most were absolutely perfect strikes that literally couldn't have been thrown any better.   

The hell of it is, only two of these seven throws resulted in completions....but of the five that failed, not one was due to an off-target or uncatchable throw.

vs. Dolphins:   

• Standing at the 37-yard line, Mariota delivers a perfectly-placed pass to Taylor in the end zone. Taylor has a DB pinning his legs and can't quite complete the acrobatic catch....he initially hauls it in only to lose the handle as he hits the ground.
  • From the Fins' 43-yard line, Mariota hits a wide-open Stocker at the 11.   The ball is underthrown and Stocker is forced to wait for it...and there's some question as to whether this was intentional or simply an inaccurate throw.   Either way, it allows Stocker to make an easy, uncontested catch for a 31-yard gain.

vs. Jags:   

• Marcus makes what appears to be a perfectly-placed 33-yard throw to Corey Davis up the sideline;  CB AJ Bouye bites hard on Davis' double-move and is forced to grab him to prevent a touchdown.  DPI.   

vs. Eagles:

• Marcus makes a perfectly placed throw to Corey Davis on a deep cross, but Davis slows as he looks back for the ball and can't quite recover as he gets only one hand on it.   Throw covers 33 yards.
  • Marcus targets Taylor on a 52-yard deep post but the ball is ever-so-slightly underthrown.  Taylor adjusts and the ball hits him in stride, but a DB grabs his facemask before the ball arrives; the official doesn't see the DPI, so it's incomplete.  
  • Marcus hits Davis on a deep post and hits him perfectly in stride for a 51-yard gain.  Ball travels 45 yards in the air.
  • In OT, Marcus delivers a perfect 35-yard strike on a deep post to Jennings...who drops it.

As recently as last week, we were repeatedly assured that Mariota was wildly inaccurate on throws down the field and lacked the ability to stretch the field vertically.

Apparently Marcus didn't get the memo....because what we're seeing is the complete opposite.

5 minutes ago, nine said:

In OT, Marcus delivers a perfect 35-yard strike on a deep post to Jennings...who drops it.

Had we not won... Bye Jennings. I’m not being serious... Well, not 100%. That’s a catch in a situation an NFL player simply can’t drop.

17 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I thought there was a deep throw to Davis that he missed?

Perhaps you’re thinking of the one in the preseason opener where they weren’t on the same page?   Davis ran a go route up the sideline, and Mariota threw closer to the middle of the field.

At the time there was some question as to whether it was a miscommunication or just a horribly off-target throw;  based on the accuracy Marcus has shown on similar throws since then, I’d say it’s probably the former.  

Archived