Vrabel ranked 14th as NFL head coach year to date

freakingeek

https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr/total-rank/

I haven't ever seen this website before so I haven't had a chance to review the criteria that they use for the evaluations. He actually tied for 14th with Hue Jackson and Todd Bowles.

Here's his preview before the start of the season

https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr-2018-head-coach-preview-mike-vrabel/

There are really too many things that are beyond a HC's control that factor in for the rankings to be subjective and accurate. I figured it might spark some lively discussion though. 

Todd Bowles had the Jets playing very competitively last year, almost every week with absolutely nothing on the roster. These lists are dumb because most of them don't factor in what the coach gets out of what he has. They just rank the best teams coaches the highest.

A great example for the old guys here was George Seifert, who took over the Niner job when Bill Walsh retired. For years those Niners were so stacked with talent it was incredible. They had such a well trained scouting group & FO. And it wasn't just Montana/Young throwing to Jerry Rice...their defensive talent was at least as good, maybe better. 

The '91 Skins are considered, at least by the analytic community, the greatest team of all time. Tough to argue, but the '94 Niners are awfully close & IMO by playoff time were the most dominant team ever. At least they were the most stacked with talent. They were 23 point favorites over the Chargers in the Bowl.

Anyway, Seifert was basically considered the Dean of Coaches in a way, brought up in the best system with nothing but success.He retired after ravaging the league for years. Then the Panthers, a few years after their expansion year, brought him out of retirement with a massive contract. It was a total debacle. He was so over his head trying to build a team that it was laughable. He looked like a retarded Alan Alda on the sideline. It became obvious, like with Mike Ditka, that he basically just stayed out of the way in SF. And I guess in fairness there's an art form to that as well, as we know there's probably plenty  of coaches who couldn't do that.

But anyway, point being, Im sure George Seifert topped many of these "lists" prior to his run in Carolina.

Vrabel, speaking to Peter King, acknowledged that he’s picked the brain of Eagles coach Doug Pederson, and one of the things he’s come away with is an appreciation for the sort of aggressiveness that served Pederson so well, especially in the Super Bowl.

“I think people are more conscious of making [risky] decisions like this than ever before,” Vrabel said. “I studied Philadelphia a lot this offseason. Doug is the gold standard when it comes to making bold moves like this. We talked at the owners’ meetings and I’ve called him a few times about things. I’m lucky he’s been approachable about some of the things he does. So I’ve done a few things.”

23 minutes ago, Huston said:

Vrabel, speaking to Peter King, acknowledged that he’s picked the brain of Eagles coach Doug Pederson, and one of the things he’s come away with is an appreciation for the sort of aggressiveness that served Pederson so well, especially in the Super Bowl.

“I think people are more conscious of making [risky] decisions like this than ever before,” Vrabel said. “I studied Philadelphia a lot this offseason. Doug is the gold standard when it comes to making bold moves like this. We talked at the owners’ meetings and I’ve called him a few times about things. I’m lucky he’s been approachable about some of the things he does. So I’ve done a few things.”

That's great that he's been willing to open up with him... I wonder if he would do the same for a random NFC team, obviously not the East but someone like the Bears who they figure will be competing against late on the season for a long time. I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Huston said:

The student has become the master!

giphy.gif

Mike!

Fucking!

Vrabel!

Archived