Unchartered 4 or WItcher 3 or ?

9 Nines

I have an expiring $5 Best Buy certificate.  I will get a PS4 game.  I want to get a older game that will be discounted because I will wait for Thanksgiving sales to get some of the newer, currently full priced games like Fry Cry 5 etc..

Unchartered 4 or WItcher 3?  I have played 1-3 of Unchartered and I liked them.   I briefly played WItcher 1 on PC but did not like it and quit playing about half-way and I never played Witcher 2.

I usually like more open ended games where levels or gear make your character more powerful (I liked Fry Cry 1-4) but I did like the story and linear play of Unchartered and Last of Us. 

Other older game? 

Edited by 9 Nines

If you want the most bang for your buck, get The Witcher 3 with all the DLC. 

It's very story driven and has some of the most incredible side quests in a game I've ever played. 

The game is a huge grind though and by the last third of the game I was ready for it to be over. I never played the DLC but it reviewed very well. 

Uncharted 4 was a fun game with a good story and some amazing visuals. It's no where near as long as the Witcher 3 but it was pretty enjoyable from start to finish. 

As for alternatives, you might enjoy the Dishonored series or the Tomb Raider series. Both are cheap minus the new release of the most recent Tomb Raider. If you want to spend a little more, the new God of War looks to fit the criteria you're looking for. 

8 minutes ago, Stranger said:

It's very story driven and has some of the most incredible side quests in a game I've ever played. 

The game is a huge grind though and by the last third of the game I was ready for it to be over. I never played the DLC but it reviewed very well. 

Uncharted 4 was a fun game with a good story and some amazing visuals. It's no where near as long as the Witcher 3 but it was pretty enjoyable from start to finish. 

As for alternatives, you might enjoy the Dishonored series or the Tomb Raider series. Both are cheap minus the new release of the most recent Tomb Raider. If you want to spend a little more, the new God of War looks to fit the criteria you're looking for. 

God of War is open ended?  gear and leveling? 

9 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Of Witcher 3 and Unchartered 4, which is more impressive in 4K and HDR? 

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

Neither but Uncharted is probably better looking, but simply a much worse game if you want an open world

They both look great but they aren't the "benchmark" type games that really push the graphics to mesmerize you, they're just impressive and leave it at that IMO

7 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

God of War is open ended?  gear and leveling? 

It's a linear game but from what I've read, the world is sort of built like the world in Witcher 3. Each level is very large and open with plenty of side quests to find. 

7 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

That's a good question. I don't have the set up to play in 4K or a PS4 Pro. 

Digital Foundry probably has the information you're looking for though. 

5 hours ago, Stranger said:

It's a linear game but from what I've read, the world is sort of built like the world in Witcher 3. Each level is very large and open with plenty of side quests to find. 

That's a good question. I don't have the set up to play in 4K or a PS4 Pro. 

Digital Foundry probably has the information you're looking for though. 

Thanks.

19 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

Witcher 3 is pretty fun.  I wish it did not have so many character abilities - gets confusing what to choose. 

Just like Mass Effect, I found it easiest to just initially put the skills to a straight up "warrior" class to push the story and strengthen your character than branch out once you start deeply understanding the mechanics.

In Witcher I basically put all my skill points in strength the first playthrough or so but once I realigned those skills towards alchemy, I was having so much more fun just theory crafting what works well and taking battles on much more intellectually (not that it was any difficult once you are strong enough).

7 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Just like Mass Effect, I found it easiest to just initially put the skills to a straight up "warrior" class to push the story and strengthen your character than branch out once you start deeply understanding the mechanics.

In Witcher I basically put all my skill points in strength the first playthrough or so but once I realigned those skills towards alchemy, I was having so much more fun just theory crafting what works well and taking battles on much more intellectually (not that it was any difficult once you are strong enough).

I am trying a generic mage build

Witcher 3 is basically fantasy world GTA.  Huge, well written, fantastic.

God of War has some optionality but generally is much more linear.  The world is smaller than Witcher, but the story and characters are also tighter and very well acted.

Christopher Judge is awesome.  Boy.

Edited by patsplat

Again, obviously I am super super biased towards Witcher because it's my favorite game but it easily has some of the best quests of any game ever. My favorite quests were completely missable and "unimportant" because they are just side-quests that may or may not ever even be triggered. Instead of just be given hundreds of fetch quests or other inconsequential feeling missions majority of the side stuff had a lot of story and in some cases even majorly altered the main plot (even though it was a quest that was optional).

There were monsters in the game that I never even encountered until my 3rd playthrough and about 300+ hours into it. It is absolutely mind-blowing how much thought and detail are put into what seems like every corner of the game compared to a lot of just filler that you see a lot especially in RPGs.