I was wrong - Harold Landry

kyle021

I was wrong about him. I had him behind several other players and said he was a day 2 pick and I wouldn’t touch him in the first round. 

I mocked Evans to us all offseason and was clamoring for him and we got him and I was over the moon. I also loved Leonard and was content with a 1) Ridley, 2) Leonard but man... was I dead ass wrong about Landry. 

I said he was a one trick pony. Had major speed and only one move and would be a huge liability against the run. What I did not take into account was the impact he would make just being on the field on known passing situations which is approximately 30+ snaps a game. I didn’t take into account just how deadly his speed is, and how low he can get and bend around the OL. 

I said he reminded me on Kam Wimbley and I projected him to have a similar career. This kid is 10x better than Wimbley on his best day. He is already developing a second rush move, but this kid can genuinely make a big time career out of speed rushes and the bend and dip and rip around the OT. He is lights out and honestly... I think outside of Casey and Byard he is our best defensive player. 

Mark my words. If he stays healthy he will have 10+ sacks and 5 FF with dozens and dozens of pressure. The kid already has over 10 pressures in just 3 games. His play alone has accounted for 5+ sacks just off memory and Casey has been the beneficiary on everyone of his sacks bc Landry forces OL to compensate for him and he pushes QBs right into Casey lap. 

Orakpo is on his last year here. I see them retaining Morgan for 2 years or so to keep the front 7 together and drafting another pass rusher. 

Plus

Finch, Correa are really good themselves. 

We may may not have Star names but we definitely have a top 5 pass rushing unit.

Totally forgot we gave up a third just to get him. 

Knowing what we know now... shoulda just took him at 25 and kept the picks and made a move up for Darius Leonard at ILB. 

Although i I Love Evans and think he will come into form once he is game conditioned. 

There te is no way Landry shouldn’t had been a top 10 pick. Just like Ridley shoulda never lasted to pick 27/28 or whatever

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

I say bring Morgan back for a couple years, Orakpo for one and keep all 4 outside guys together. 

Morgan and Rak are esp good on run downs and the rotation helps everybody. 

Fine with this. 

It would cost some change to keep both though... Orakpo could hit open market and get one last big check. 3 years for 30 million vs 1 year for 6-8 from us. 

Morgan is the better overall player and he too could hit open market and get 4 years for 50 but would only be offered 3 years tops for 24-28 here. 

Depending on Finch and Correa and how they continue to develop... if they continue to develop... I let Rak and Morgan both walk and collect 3rd or 4th round compensatory picks and use picks in this draft on an OLB early and DL early because of how talented this draft is. 

If Morgan is willing to stay on a 2 year 18 million deal then you obviously do that, and draft someone to rotate with Landry, Morgan, Finch, Correa...

Morgan will be 2 times harder to replace than Orakpo bc Landry will take Orakpo spot. 

This draft needs to be all defense with a pass rusher in the first followed by an OL, RB in 2 & 3 and then DL and S and CB in the 4th plus

but seriously I’ve never said this before. Fuck the draft. This season is awesome. 

The only reason I even think of th draft is because I can’t imagine this team getting any better... and we will. It’s crazy. 

Smith is a bust... TE will be high on the list this offseason just like RB, LG and OLB and DE

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Every team would love to have a one trick pony if that one trick is being an awesome pass rusher. Elite pass rushers change games.

I wanted him in the first. I was thrilled when we grabbed him in the 2nd. 

Remember Tim Williams from Bama? That’s what I thought we were getting. Using a second rounder on a guy to maybe get 4-5 pressures a game who can’t play three downs. 

Nope. Dead wrong. The Miller comparisons are real. 

Is Landry playing better than Chubb? Asking bc I have no idea. Haven’t followed Chubb. 

I know he is making an impact for us defensively similar to Mack in Chicago albeit doesn’t show up on the stat sheet bc Mack is getting a strip sack every week but he is also playing every down. Landry is doing his in limited time. 

So impressive

JR has done a great job atoning for the Dodd pick. Landry looks like a home run. Shades of a young Robert Mathis. Correa and Finch look like solid gets as well.

Bunch of teams going to regret passing on Landry

Edited by socaltitan

4 minutes ago, Dmeade- said:

You talk so much during the draft no one would have remembered if you didnt start this thread. 

I do, but I was pretty down on him. I didn’t want no part of him in the first or even second. I understood the reason we picked him. To get pass rush. Wasn’t a fan of giving up a third, but who gives a damn now. 

Knowing what we and the league know now... I woulda moved from 25 into top 10 to get him. 

In a redo... he probably goes ahead of Chubb

If Landry had come out after his 2016 season (16.5 sacks), he would have been considered an option with the top pick along with Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas. Him being hurt in 2017 was a huge win for us.

Edited by Starkiller

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

If Landry had come out after his 2016 season (16.5 sacks), he would have been considered an option with the top pick along with Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas.

He was having a really good season this past year before getting hurt. 

Honestly no reason he shouldn’t have gone in round one. 

He had had an amazing combine and his tape was great. He didn’t have to do anything else in college bc his dip and speed were so deadly that he worked on perfecting that. He came into the NFL with the best speed rush in the draft and really... he probably has a top 10 speed rush in the league right now

9 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

Fine with this. 

It would cost some change to keep both though... Orakpo could hit open market and get one last big check. 3 years for 30 million vs 1 year for 6-8 from us. 

Morgan is the better overall player and he too could hit open market and get 4 years for 50 but would only be offered 3 years tops for 24-28 here. 

Depending on Finch and Correa and how they continue to develop... if they continue to develop... I let Rak and Morgan both walk and collect 3rd or 4th round compensatory picks and use picks in this draft on an OLB early and DL early because of how talented this draft is. 

If Morgan is willing to stay on a 2 year 18 million deal then you obviously do that, and draft someone to rotate with Landry, Morgan, Finch, Correa...

Morgan will be 2 times harder to replace than Orakpo bc Landry will take Orakpo spot. 

This draft needs to be all defense with a pass rusher in the first followed by an OL, RB in 2 & 3 and then DL and S and CB in the 4th plus

but seriously I’ve never said this before. Fuck the draft. This season is awesome. 

The only reason I even think of th draft is because I can’t imagine this team getting any better... and we will. It’s crazy. 

Smith is a bust... TE will be high on the list this offseason just like RB, LG and OLB and DE

I don't see Orakpo or Morgan getting paid more than their last prime contracts. 

I think both would be more in the 7M per year range or less at their age. Orakpo says he prefers to play 25 snaps a game at this stage in his career. 

As for Smith, I'm starting to wonder about him myself. Sometimes tight ends take a while to develop because of how many facets of the game they have to learn. And a guy like Jonnu played in a more simplistic offense. Have to give him the rest of the year and see how he develops. 

But either way, tight end may be near the top of the needs list this coming offseason. Even assuming Delanie comes back full strength for another year. 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

I don't see Orakpo or Morgan getting paid more than their last prime contracts. 

I think both would be more in the 7M per year range or less at their age. Orakpo says he prefers to play 25 snaps a game at this stage in his career. 

As for Smith, I'm starting to wonder about him myself. Sometimes tight ends take a while to develop because of how many facets of the game they have to learn. And a guy like Jonnu played in a more simplistic offense. Have to give him the rest of the year and see how he develops. 

But either way, tight end may be near the top of the needs list this coming offseason. Even assuming Delanie comes back full strength for another year. 

Smith is a huge concern. Think about how far down he is he from a defensive key standpoint and the guy still can't produce. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Smith is a huge concern. Think about how far down he is he from a defensive key standpoint and the guy still can't produce. 

True, but I think LaFleur is just going back to his less tight-end focused mindset without Delanie on board. 

But even so - what does that tell you about Jonnu?