Who thinks Marcus is a bust?

IsntLifeFunny

The Biggest issue on this board lately is the influx of trolls/troll posts, agendas, and reactionary bullshit that is coming up more and more frequently. 

It seems troll/unintelligent posts have taken this board by storm and it’s decreasig the quality a ridiculous amount. 

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's some really retarded shit being said in this thread & I don't know where to begin. I honestly thought this forum knew more about football then this.   I'll just start with the of

Jake, I am an unashamed homer and remain steadfast in my belief that Marcus has been and will continue to develop into a top tier QB ..... as long as his body withstands the physicality of the NFL.  D

Debating whether or not Marcus is a bust is a pointless discussion at this point in time.  He's only played in 43 games.  That's roughly 2.75 seasons.  Having this debate is nothing more than an exerc

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

The Biggest issue on this board lately is the influx of trolls/troll posts, agendas, and reactionary bullshit that is coming up more and more frequently. 

It seems troll/unintelligent posts have taken this board by storm and it’s decreasig the quality a ridiculous amount. 

The problem is twofold.  1. There's a lot of people who don't like Mariota because of his personality and he's an easy target.  2. There's a lot of group think on this board.  So it's now the thing to do on this board to consider Mariota a dud and want a new QB.  Nothing he's accomplished means anything.  In fact, if you read this board you'd think that things like Seattle, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Francisco and Kansas City never happened last year.  You'd think he never completed a pass in the of over 10 yards when he's actually had to complete more deep passes than the average QB based on necessity in the offense he was running.  You'd think that he doesn't even have the ability to do that.

It's really pathetic what's become of this board.  I'm not referencing Oilerman because I do think that he's more levelheaded on the podcast and a lot of what he posts here is to elicit reactions.  It's those who have barely watched the guy play and/or have poor memories who look at a stat sheet to make their judgments.

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

The problem is twofold.  1. There's a lot of people who don't like Mariota because of his personality and he's an easy target.  2. There's a lot of group think on this board.  So it's now the thing to do on this board to consider Mariota a dud and want a new QB.  Nothing he's accomplished means anything.  In fact, if you read this board you'd think that things like Seattle, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Francisco and Kansas City never happened last year.  You'd think he never completed a pass in the of over 10 yards when he's actually had to complete more deep passes than the average QB based on necessity in the offense he was running.  You'd think that he doesn't even have the ability to do that.

It's really pathetic what's become of this board.  I'm not referencing Oilerman because I do think that he's more levelheaded on the podcast and a lot of what he posts here is to elicit reactions.  It's those who have barely watched the guy play and/or have poor memories who look at a stat sheet to make their judgments.

Much fewer and far between but you also have folks acting as if those good games are the only ones Mariota has contributed to. Everything else just devolves into Mularkey for some idiots and act like he was completely killing Mariota when the reality is that scheme early on (yes, early on and didn't adapt) was a major reason why Mariota had stretches of elite play when we actually had a competent RB. Every single bad game of his is somehow magically Mularkey's fault and nothing Mariota could do to overcome coaching though, which is simply false obviously.

I'm a horrendous offender of it because this site has gone to such extremes as a whole in every fucking thread and I call those idiots out but the group think is terrible for this board because the conversation is literally just an argument against a post but much more often the poster and not a discussion of the content itself and impossible to have a conversation because people are so far on the sides. I'm not even talking homer or not-homer, we all are homers and view the Titans in very rosy glasses.

I don't think the agendas or even the toxicity of this site are something new, but I do think that there is just so much more sensationalism than before. Damn near every thread now reads as some clickbait article meant to elicit some emotion. It's a fucking political or pep rally just to rouse the troops and stand even more united on their side of the argument.

11 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Much fewer and far between but you also have folks acting as if those good games are the only ones Mariota has contributed to. Everything else just devolves into Mularkey for some idiots and act like he was completely killing Mariota when the reality is that scheme early on (yes, early on and didn't adapt) was a major reason why Mariota had stretches of elite play when we actually had a competent RB. Every single bad game of his is somehow magically Mularkey's fault and nothing Mariota could do to overcome coaching though, which is simply false obviously.

I'm a horrendous offender of it because this site has gone to such extremes as a whole in every fucking thread and I call those idiots out but the group think is terrible for this board because the conversation is literally just an argument against a post but much more often the poster and not a discussion of the content itself and impossible to have a conversation because people are so far on the sides. I'm not even talking homer or not-homer, we all are homers and view the Titans in very rosy glasses.

I don't think the agendas or even the toxicity of this site are something new, but I do think that there is just so much more sensationalism than before. Damn near every thread now reads as some clickbait article meant to elicit some emotion. It's a fucking political or pep rally just to rouse the troops and stand even more united on their side of the argument.

Not sure what rock you live under in Milwaukee, couldn't resist, but the vast majority of sane posters here agree Mariota has flashed incredible potential and has the makings of a franchise QB if he can stay healthy. We also admit he has to work on things(This list again: pocket presence, zip on the ball down the field, throwing on the run, etc....). The problem now is that some posters have gone off the deep end claiming he's sucked for 4 years and can't run a pro style offense because they have to get out in front of things. If you cut through all the noise the fan base is pretty much in the agreement on Mariota: Not there yet but has potential to get there. 

there are obvious reasons to be concerned about Mariota not becoming a great franchise QB

he has shown flashes in his career but not consistently enough 

he is however young and has had too many injuries and organizational upheaval to help with his development.

right now its up to this new coaching staff to get him back on track.

again he's young so there is still hope that if the coaches get him back on track that he can still develop

even if this ends up like a Jax situation and we extend him to give him more time that to me is better than starting over.  Nothing wrong with having some stability at the position even if its not elite.

I still think he has I guess what some would call the "IT" factor...question is can he round out the rest of his game.  So I'm willing to give him the chance cause I think there is something special in him.

I think this sums the whole thing up so everybody can just shut up now

39 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

What would be your point? He handed off nicely and the D got 3 turnovers. Threw a short screen for TD (much easier than the Gabbert screen). Threw a hospital pass to Decker. Put a nice pass into Walker, then hit him again wide open. Put one out for Taylor, which was well done. I don't see anything he did the other 31 QBs couldn't do.

"What's the big deal, he successfully completed passes to receivers ... every QB has done that at some point!"

I see Mariota already as a good starter. But Alex Smith is a good starter.

The problem is momentum. Mariota's injuries are killing his momentum and derailing the milestones that young QBs go through ... like getting rid of bad habits etc. Eventually if he doesn't gain momentum it will stall his growth and he'll start to regress.

Edited by big2033

8 minutes ago, big2033 said:

"What's the big deal, he successfully completed passes to receivers ... every QB has done that at some point!"

There's no way Mariota can win on the road against an elite passing defense like the Jaguars!

51 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Please explain this potential everyone keeps talking about. I'm deadly serious. Potential to do what? In what area? What potential does he have that Gabbert doesn't have?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GabbBl00/gamelog/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariMa01/gamelog/

Garbage time Gabbert has never pitched a 100 passer rating in a win.  Mariota did it twice last year.  Mariota is a better passer.

Not once in Gabbert's career has his team won because of his passing ability.

Edited by patsplat

6 minutes ago, patsplat said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GabbBl00/gamelog/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariMa01/gamelog/

Garbage time Gabbert has never pitched a 100 passer rating in a win.  Mariota did it twice last year.  Mariota is a better passer.

Not once in Gabbert's career has his team won because of his passing ability.

I wouldn't bother. This guy will disappear as soon as there's any success. We've seen this before.

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

I see Mariota already as a good starter. But Alex Smith is a good starter.

The problem is momentum. Mariota's injuries are killing his momentum and derailing the milestones that young QBs go through ... like getting rid of bad habits etc. Eventually if he doesn't gain momentum it will stall his growth and he'll start to regress.

I think that's pretty much the best analysis of Mariota out there.

2 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Please explain this potential everyone keeps talking about. I'm deadly serious. Potential to do what? In what area? What potential does he have that Gabbert doesn't have?

This would be easier to answer if Gabbert had demonstrated any  real potential in his eight-year career.   

As I've said before...I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but the only thing one can say for Gabbert is that he has a strong arm and he looks the part.   There's not a single aspect of his game where one can say, "This is what Gabbert does well."       He was quite solid in last week's game...but you have to realize that last week's game was one of the strongest performances of his entire career.  That's as good as it gets.  "Please just don't screw it up" is the guy's ceiling.....and he's only reached that ceiling a few times in his career, and only for a week or two.

Mariota showed more potential as a rookie than Gabbert has shown in his entire career combined.   In year 2,  Marcus had a tremendous 8-week stretch where he led the NFL in touchdowns and passer rating.    At the time, the consensus was that he had all the tools...he needed to do it more consistently.   But then the broken leg sidelined him for several months.....which led into a decidedly mediocre year 3 that left more questions than answers about his future.

You're trying to compare  Mariota at his worst and Gabbert at his very best.    Eventually everything will level out and both players will return to the mean.   I don't know if Marcus will ever be a truly elite passer, but I'll guarantee you he'll be much better than he was in week one.....because that's who he is.   And given the opportunity, Gabbert will eventually be a lot worse than he was in week two....again,  because that's just who he is.