Who thinks Marcus is a bust?

IsntLifeFunny

30 minutes ago, V_Man said:

That's not a comparison at all... Look up MM's career stats as well... not the last 23. 

This thread to me is laughable considering MM willed this team to a win against both Jacksonville and Kansas City to end last year. And those who think Gabbart is better than MM need to get off that happy juice. Once healthy which will hopefully be this week, we will see by season end what MM can do in this new system. 

I picked 23 simply because that's how many starts Locker had.  What was shocking is how close the numbers are and that's not a good thing.  For the record, I do think MM is better than Locker but at the same time that was the clear expectation (#2 overall vs 10th) but they eerily have similar issues - accuracy and durability - that are two critical prerequisites for being a top tier QB. 

I would not say MM willed the team to victory in either of those games.  His fumble ran back for a TD was the only reason Jax was in that game to begin with.  The 2nd half at KC was very encouraging but it's not like he was prime McNair.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Mariota but this really is his chance to either seize the job or be in line to be replaced.  He has to play better and stay healthy.  23 games is a pretty good data set and it's pretty concerning that it's a clear regression to what he did prior to that.   

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's some really retarded shit being said in this thread & I don't know where to begin. I honestly thought this forum knew more about football then this.   I'll just start with the of

Jake, I am an unashamed homer and remain steadfast in my belief that Marcus has been and will continue to develop into a top tier QB ..... as long as his body withstands the physicality of the NFL.  D

Debating whether or not Marcus is a bust is a pointless discussion at this point in time.  He's only played in 43 games.  That's roughly 2.75 seasons.  Having this debate is nothing more than an exerc

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

It's too early to say he's a bust but it's been a while since he's really flashed the ability that we did see in parts of 2016.   It's beyond alarming that we are debating this in year 4 about things that every elite QB does well - make accurate passes all over the field, have poise in the pocket, and be there every week. 

His last 23 games as a starter:

404-671 (60.2%) for 4738 yards 22 TD/19 INT, 7.09 YPA, Passer rating of 80.5 sacked 47 times 298 yards; 95 runs 524 yards (5.1) with 5 TD

Games w/offense scoring > 20 points = 10

Jake Locker's 23 career starts:

359-620 (57.9%) for 4253 yards 22 TD/19 INT, 6.41 YPA, Passer rating of 76.2; 50 sacks losing 290 yards; 85 runs for 560 yards (6.6) with 4 TD

Games w/offense scoring > 20 points = 9

This is eye opening 

People put him way higher than he deserves

@BudAdams

What about when you include the other 20 games that Mariota has started (He's started 43 games) compared to Jake Locker's 23 starts?

Or how about if you only include his first 23 games before he broke his leg vs Jake Locker's 23 starts.

See how you can pull anything out of your ass when it comes to stats to try and prove a given point?

The fact that Mariota has started 43 games vs Locker's 23 career starts says enough in and of itself. 

There are plenty of concerns with Mariota, but let's not say he's Jake fucking Locker. 

Edited by tgo

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

Got it. So you're just actively trying to troll and make this site worse. Hence, me calling you out and then trying to defend why you made this thread.

Eh it’s slightly trolling, but it’s got the point across. If you’re too much of a pussy to say he’s a bust then you should probably sit back and stop saying anything but that across the rest of the board. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Eh it’s slightly trolling, but it’s got the point across. If you’re too much of a pussy to say he’s a bust then you should probably sit back and stop saying anything but that across the rest of the board. 

Then we also can't praise him for his good play because we need to wait and see if he can actually do it for 4 qtrs at a time, let alone 4 games.

Vocal disagreeing opinions are a phenomenal thing for this board and discussion, it's everyone picking an extreme that is ruining this board and it's even worse when posters are actively trying to pin everyone even further in that extreme point of view (not just this thread, but a lot of people)

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

Then we also can't praise him for his good play because we need to wait and see if he can actually do it for 4 qtrs at a time, let alone 4 games.

Vocal disagreeing opinions are a phenomenal thing for this board and discussion, it's everyone picking an extreme that is ruining this board and it's even worse when posters are actively trying to pin everyone even further in that extreme point of view (not just this thread, but a lot of people)

That’s the point of the thread...a group has went out of their way to trash him at every single turn. We might as well have them say it openly. If they refuse then they should lay off. I’m doing us all a favor. 

14 minutes ago, tgo said:

@BudAdams

What about when you include the other 20 games that Mariota has started (He's started 43 games) compared to Jake Locker's 23 starts?

Or how about if you only include his first 23 games before he broke his leg vs Jake Locker's 23 starts.

See how you can pull anything out of your ass when it comes to stats to try and prove a given point?

The fact that Mariota has started 43 games vs Locker's 23 career starts says enough in and of itself. 

There are plenty of concerns with Mariota, but let's not say he's Jake fucking Locker. 

Mariota has a sizable edge in durability over Jake Locker - no question - even though in fairness Locker did not play much in his rookie year whereas MM did.

What is not debatable is that Mariota's most recent play is very very Jake Locker like production.  Personally I could care less what MM's 2015 season was at this point.  Same for 2016/2017 but the reality is that he's played at a Locker type level for a season and a half worth of games. 

I absolutely hope 2018 is a new story but it sure doesn't look much different than the final few games of 2016 and last year to me.

24 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is eye opening 

People put him way higher than he deserves

I saw a stat on twitter comparing his numbers with the first 3 years of some QBs now conidered elite and he was right there with all of them. I wish I could find it again.