Who thinks Marcus is a bust?

IsntLifeFunny

Marcus has a lot of proving to do. Not only staying on the field, but being consistent in his passing.  I know the homers don't care, but Gabbert, in a limited role, hit his receivers in stride, which appears a rarity for Marcus game one, and a percentage of his career. 

I fear the organization has broken Marcus. Trying to get him in pro passing form, via multiple coaches.  He's just not had consistent coaching, and I fear he's not able to rise above it.  

I really don't want to go through another QB search.  My god, how much do we have to endure?  I want Marcus to be the guy we hoped him to be, I just don't know if he is.  Gabbert showed it isn't a system problem. Marcus has to step up and be on the field.  Both of which are concerning. 

I just don't have a lot of faith.  I think the organization broke him. Too many coaches telling him to do this rather than that.  

I hope he pulls through.  I don't want to go into another 4 years of a QB hopeful. 

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's some really retarded shit being said in this thread & I don't know where to begin. I honestly thought this forum knew more about football then this.   I'll just start with the of

Jake, I am an unashamed homer and remain steadfast in my belief that Marcus has been and will continue to develop into a top tier QB ..... as long as his body withstands the physicality of the NFL.  D

Debating whether or not Marcus is a bust is a pointless discussion at this point in time.  He's only played in 43 games.  That's roughly 2.75 seasons.  Having this debate is nothing more than an exerc

Posted Images

Not sure but I am not confident. Even guys like Fitz or Smith have great moments. They are not busts but not what may have been expected. MM was the second pick in the draft. Even when healthy, he has weird lapses in judgement and throws inexplicably bad passes. Has some brilliance,too. We love the guy because he is ours and is a good guy. I would like to see someone confident who can make all the passes when needed. Just not sure. 

Here is the real question.  Does he get a new contract? He has the rest of the year to prove his case.

The fact this question is being asked in year 4 is alarming.

A better question is how do you grade him as a 4th year QB entering week 3. I'd def say he's an epic fail for this point in his career. He looks more like a rookie being taught the position. 

He was working with someone in the off season to try and fix his mechanics. This was not honing his craft, this was a QB trying to fix a major throwing flaw. 

Just in the last month Vrabel said it was his responsibility to make sure Mariota knows where to go with the ball, it's not, that's on the QB. Vrabel also said he needs to let it rip and LaFleur said indecisiveness leads to ineffectiveness. These guys are begging him to execute. They installed him being a designed runner into the offense, you don't do that with franchise QBs at least not to that degree. Jags have done the same with Bortles. 

Avoiding injury is a skill, he also has a failing grade in this regard. Tackles defenders in preseason, dives head first into defenders in week 1. I'm starting to think he's a bit of a football retard. He's missing practices again and games. 

Then there is the leadership issue. Entering the playoffs Casey and Woodyard are begging him to let it hang out. Murray said in the off season Mariota needed to be more vocal and take charge. 

Hard to say he's a bust right now. Do I think he'll be one of the top QBs in the league? That idea seems laughable right now, it's a resounding no. 

Who cares?  He has 14 more games this year and 16 next.  As I’ve said, I would not be surprised to see a 1 year extension after this year to line up with new CBA if team is not sold on him to get him a through 20.

New staff, new system, healthy QB (whoops) - no excuses.

I don’t think he’s a bust. He’s shown potential and the entire team regressed last year not just him. The coach was fired after a playoff win because he failed to maximize the potential of the players on the team. We have seen him play in the new system(that multiple people said would take a few weeks before its hitting on all cylinders) for 2 whole quarters and he was playing ok before he lost the feeling in his throwing hand. Lay off the crazy pills people. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

50 minutes ago, TorontoTitan said:

It's like he has Chuck Knoblauch syndrome. I remember his first series ever against Tampa Bay. He zipped a pass down the middle to Delanie into a tight window for a first down. We are not seeing that same zip on his passes anymore. It's like he is trying to place the ball instead of just firing it in there. Either his mechanics are all screwed up or it's mental. His accuracy has suffered immensely because of it. I remember when he first came in the league his accuracy was being praised as a strong point. Now he just flutters balls off target. I know he has it in him. We saw it for a 10 game stretch in year 2. Go look at the San Diego tape in year 2. He looked like he was on his way to becoming elite. Somewhere along the way he lost his mojo and it probably has a lot to do with the injuries. I still have hope he will find it but the longer this persists the less confidence I have. It sucks because our window is open now if we were getting good play out of him but he is killing this teams chances. I just hope Vrabel and Lafleur can get him headed in the right direction and start to build his confidence back up. Again, it starts with him getting healthy unfortunately.

the last two seasons he literally had to place balls between 3 defenders just to move it. 

this season its a new offense that is supposed to take 1.5 years to learn.

theres nothing complicated here. it just the facts. accept them and accept time the time it takes and deal with it.