Mariota, Landry, Evans

kyle021

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Link? Sounds like bullshit considering how long the HC has been there.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rpo-update-who-used-them-best

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/8/25/16201116/most-important-play-2017-run-pass-option-rpo-aaron-rodgers-ben-roethlisberger

its pretty obvious watching the packers with Rodgers how effective he is with RPOs. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as he doesn't get tackled and has a tingling sensation in his toes

My tingling was not at the toes.

I wish that Mariota was just barely mobile.  It would force them to let him become a pure passer, like Whisenhunt was doing.  His mobility hurts him more than helps him because it gets these coaches t

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I disagree with this. If Evans is on the field then let your DEs pen their ears back. 

That's just not how this scheme works. 

It's been well known over time that Belichick, Vrabel, Crennel, Pees all believe in inside pressure and outside contain as a basic principle. I would think that would come into play even moreso against mobile QBs with limited arm talent like Watson. 

It's not a pressure-first scheme like LeBeau or even Schwartz (although he doesn't blitz, but pressure first is his objective). 

That's not to say they don't get pressure but they're also not going full bore to pressure the QB from every angle on every down if you know what I mean. I think under Pees/Vrabel the only guy ever "penning their ears back" consistently would be the weakside outside linebacker. Except in occasional pressure packages or on occasional blitzes. 

But we'll see how it plays out. 

2 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Of course they used it more effectively, to say that he ran the 3rd most RPOs is a joke

They used it just as much with Rodgers as Hundley. Rodgers normally had more than one route to choose from. That’s where you might be getting confused

2 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

They used it just as much with Rodgers as Hundley. Rodgers normally had more than one route to choose from. That’s where you might be getting confused

Show us the breakdown per Qb then. I'm not saying you are wrong but I need some data to back this up.

Edited by oldschool

Just now, IrishTitansFan said:

I guess we are just disagreeing on how the teams use their RPOs then.... The packers with Rodgers sure as hell don't use it as a way to get him in a position to make a play with his legs like other teams seem to do.

I could be way off base but it seems that younger QBs tend to rely more on that compared to the vets who simply use it as a way to choose the right play without an audible.

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Show us the breakdown per Qb then. I'm not saying you are wrong but I need some data to back this up.

I don’t have any stats to back that up, I’m just using the eye test. Rodgers is my favourite QB ever and I love going back over his games. Week one last year is a good indicator of how much they used it, and how good he is running it

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

I guess we are just disagreeing on how the teams use their RPOs then.... The packers with Rodgers sure as hell don't use it as a way to get him in a position to make a play with his legs like other teams seem to do.

I could be way off base but it seems that younger QBs tend to rely more on that compared to the vets who simply use it as a way to choose the right play without an audible.

You’re right. A lot of teams don’t though. I don’t think the Chiefs or Eagles necessarily wanted their QBs to run. The Steelers sure as hell didn’t. It’s just another way of getting a receiver open, and utilizing a QBs quick release

2 hours ago, tgo said:

That's just not how this scheme works. 

It's been well known over time that Belichick, Vrabel, Crennel, Pees all believe in inside pressure and outside contain as a basic principle. I would think that would come into play even moreso against mobile QBs with limited arm talent like Watson. 

It's not a pressure-first scheme like LeBeau or even Schwartz (although he doesn't blitz, but pressure first is his objective). 

That's not to say they don't get pressure but they're also not going full bore to pressure the QB from every angle on every down if you know what I mean. I think under Pees/Vrabel the only guy ever "penning their ears back" consistently would be the weakside outside linebacker. Except in occasional pressure packages or on occasional blitzes. 

But we'll see how it plays out. 

Good stuff. I still think one of the major benefits to having Evans is his ability to take out mobil QBs. If my ILB can play contain by himself then I’m unleashing my OLBs against a guy like Watson, but maybe like you said we do that for special packages while the rest of the time forcing him to throw from the pocket. 

1 hour ago, bizzyeddie said:

I have mentioned that interview with pederson a few times.. hand-off the ball or throw the ball.  Qb running is last resort.

Seems with mm we just running the option.

There is no pass..

Ideally, but the play that we got Marcus hit on he rolled out as if he was a threat to run with the ball or at least bootleg it.

The QB being a threat to have the ball in his hands was hardly the last resort, it clearly was a large facet of the play since he even made damn sure the defense knew he was a threat when he didn't have the ball