Beddingfield Interview

tgo

Some interesting tidbits from Beddingfield’s interview on 104.5 today: 

-Mentioned that Jonnu Smith is actually bigger and faster than Walker, but said Walker would obviously be a huge loss. Also Said that Smith is way behind in blocking game. 

-Having critisized Mariota on a few throws in his breakdown online, he said the throw to Stocker wasn’t a bad throw because you have to take into account that Stocker isn’t a good pass catcher and needed a safe pass that was easy to catch. He said you cannot lead Stocker when throwing to him.

-He said Mariota’s passes were very clearly affected by the injury and that after the injury, the spin on the ball wasn’t there. 

-Praised Henry’s running and pointed out how he was able to overcome some very bad blocking with multiple unblocked defenders by getting back to the line and avoiding 5-7 yard losses

-Said that Davis had communication issues with Mariota and Gabbert both, indicating that the communication and timing issues with Davis are mostly on Davis.   

-Said Jayon Brown was getting run at and the run defense was bad. Said Correa isn’t top notch as a pass rusher or run defender and gets consumed by tackles. 

-Says they’re now moving the OLBs around based on the offensive formation instead of playing sides regardless of the formation like LeBeau did. They’re trying to move Orakpo away from the blocking help on every play. Said Orakpo disappeared at times. 

-Said Kelly wasn’t getting any help in the pass game and held up very well. 

-Seconded Vrabel's assertion that they need to get Taylor on the field more and lamented the lack of down field speed on offense without Taylor in the mix.

Another tidbit: on the Logan Ryan show, Ryan said that this year’s 0-1 team is better than last year’s 0-1 team. 

Just now, Huston said:

Thats pretty much what I saw, didn't get the Henry criticism of this board. He is playing well and it will show with more carries.

I think Dion Lewis played better, but Henry played well in the run game and should have outperformed Lewis if not for that ridiculous penalty. 

4 minutes ago, Huston said:

Thats pretty much what I saw, didn't get the Henry criticism of this board. He is playing well and it will show with more carries.

I like Henry, so I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Does Henry's presence signal the increased likelihood of a run and therefore the defense adjusts to stop him?  

Once the offense starts running multiple plays out of the same formations, perhaps we will see Henry perform better.  

3 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I like Henry, so I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Does Henry's presence signal the increased likelihood of a run and therefore the defense adjusts to stop him?  

Once the offense starts running multiple plays out of the same formations, perhaps we will see Henry perform better.  

I was thinking the same thing. I could be wrong but I don’t think we ran PA once on 1st down when Henry was in there. I kept waiting for it but I don’t think it ever happened. 

4 minutes ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

I wish we could find out the players that Beddingfield scouted/had input in obtaining-----because he's probably just complimenting the dudes that he recommended in an attempt to prove to management that he was right.

If so, he'd fit right in here at TR.

He has come out and said that he was not in favor of drafting Conklin/trading down and wanted an impact player instead, and also has said he didn't agree with drafting Davis that high. But was in favor of drafting Henry and also Adoree Jackson. 

He seems to have been at odds with Robinson on those two high draft picks while he was College Scouting Director, which could be part of why he isn't there anymore. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

He has come out and said that he was not in favor of drafting Conklin/trading down and wanted an impact player instead, and also has said he didn't agree with drafting Davis that high. But was in favor of drafting Henry and also Adoree Jackson. 

He seems to have been at odds with Robinson on those two high draft picks while he was College Scouting Director, which could be part of why he isn't there anymore. 

Ha....perfect example of why he'd be a good TR poster. "I agreed with and supported getting all the good players---any of the controversial moves or underperforming players, I vehemently disagreed! (Unless, they pan out, then I'll make excuses about what I really meant and how my evaluations actually supported the moves.)"

40 minutes ago, gaskill15 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I could be wrong but I don’t think we ran PA once on 1st down when Henry was in there. I kept waiting for it but I don’t think it ever happened. 

We did split him out wide once. Can’t remember if he got targeted or not on that play, though.

Archived