MM can’t do what rookie QBs are doing right now.

Flarb

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The Tom Brady comparisons are ridiculous. 

Brady won his 2nd SB in year 3, he led the league in TD passes his 2nd year to start. You can't compare 2018 passing stats to 2001-2003, the rules have changed and the offenses have completely changed. The Pats were a run heavy/defensive conservative ball control team. 

Tom Brady didn't struggle with simple drop backs in the pocket, he wasn't trying to "widen his base" so he'd stop airmailing passes, he wasn't being told by the OC that "indecisiveness leads to ineffectiveness". 

They are trying to teach Mariota the very basics in passing the ball in the NFL. 

Can a 24 yr old 4th year QB develop this stuff, I have no idea. But this is not what Tom Brady was doing going into year 4. 

Brady also had a coach who was way ahead of the league.  Just look at the HCs from that time who are still around.  But you are right that some of these things aren't nearly the issue for other young QBs, at least not at this stage.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The last word was the smartest of the post.

Cause this couldn't fit in to one of the 2 billion other Mariota threads I guess.

19 hours ago, GoodToGo said:

Stepping up in the pocket instead of bailing. 

Making reads. 

Acting like a leader. Seriously, the guy does not talk. 

Drinking beer. He says he’s never had a sip of beer. Major pussy material that does not a QB make. 

I don’t know what his degree was in, but I’m guessing it had something to do with the Amish.

He can’t play well consistently.

Ignore me! I believe I’m right. But a bunch of you buttheads won’t let go of this guy. 

Time will tell, mates. And the time is near. 

Fart. 

Most apt post on Marioata to date. 

51 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Mariota is probably on par with year 3 Brady, but the expectations are higher now, and the passing game is easier.  If he had a season like Rodgers in his first year as a starter, that would be great.  I want to see him throw for 4,000 yards for once, or at least get close.  Having Tyrod Taylor 2.0 is fine for the time being, but it would be great to know that we have a franchise QB.

Well now he finally has a chance to achieve those goals

3 hours ago, abc2330 said:

You act like this is the only team that I watch.  I wasn't even a TN fan until they fired Webster.  I know what other QBs look like.  Mariota doesn't throw many passes, it's easier to have a decent completion percentage when you aren't required to carry the offense though the air and mainly throw high-percentage passes (in the middle of the field).  I hope that he can expand his game to be proficient are the sideline throws, or else he and the passing game will always be limited.  We are always one of the least productive passing teams in the league, you can't compare his efficiency to QBs even like Stafford and Luck, because they are asked to do a hell of a lot more.

What high percentage throws are you referring to because that's the polar opposite of what Mularkeys system created. You just mentioned something that never existed in a Mularkey scheme

Edited by Pray_iv_m3rcy

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

First pass they show of Mariota, high percentage throw. Not even close.

All four of his picks in the game were 100% on him. Not scheme. A lot of open WRs in that game and he made some REALLY nice throws. But he also made 4 terrible throws that waa the difference in that game. That and Delanie dropping one of his 2 or three dropped TDs that year.

First off not all of those ints were 100% on him. I don't have time to continue arguing over that. Second thing is you didn't see easy throws like that consistently. Mariota missing easy throws is a lazy analysis to try and explain how he supposedly regressed last year.

Mariota backer.  I feel I have to say that because any critique of him falls in the category of bashing.  I'm first a Titans fan.  I was one of them long before Mariota was drafted.  A QB job is to hand the ball off and throw passes, running the ball is great but not necessary.

Here's a pre-draft article 2015  It sounds current in some ways.

http://thecomeback.com/thestudentsection/football/will-marcus-mariota-succeed-at-the-next-level.html

One of the biggest selling points on Mariota is that he threw only 14 interceptions in three seasons. However, he also showed a lack of interest in fitting a ball in a tight window most times. 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Mariota has not demonstrated he can throw the ball all over the field.  He's been here three full seasons.  Can he throw a 30 yard pass on a rope?  That's almost mandatory for being elite and that's just one pass.  He just doesn't have the arm talent to be elite.  I am not sure he can be serviceable because the arm talent takes too many balls out of his ability.  You have to touch on arm strength because I think that's the root of his troubles.

I thought he would come out of the summer from that QB training with improved footwork that would help him have better control and get more zip on the ball.  More than just being strong, it has to be controlled strength.  When he throws deep, his ball is long enough but he loses accuracy. He doesn't have to have Bret Farve strength, where wrs have to learn how to catch a ball thrown that hard.  He does need more zip on his ball.  

Why the high throws?  As he tries to throw farther/more zip he loses accuracy.  I am fixing to get run out now, but remember how VY could hit Kenny Britt deep.  In three seasons, how many of those balls have we seen?  I think he may have tried to get more pace on the pass that hit the turf he threw to Corey.  Now, Davis is a bad ass who can win ball fights.  His talent will be wasted if our QB doesn't place the ball where he has the advantage and can win the fight.