All seriousness. What the hell should I be doing?

kyle021

7 weeks preggo, and counting. First time for me and I’m 30. 

Credit fixed. 

We are looking into renting a home for the first year, saving money then buying (she already has 15k for a down payment)

but what the hell do i do I need to be doing to prep for this from a mans perspective?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re at best a sixth or seventh round prospect as a father.  I hope you outperform your scouting report.

You can also use that alone time in the middle of the night to swab the baby's cheek with an at home paternity test to make sure it's yours.

Hate to tell  you this but your mock draft days are done 

Yall need to take about $500 of the 15k and put it towards aborting this demon seed.

But, for real, all you can really do is buy and assemble all of the shit that you need for the nursery. Have all of it ready atleast a month before the due date. As far as preparing for dealing with the child, there's not much that you can really do because there's no one correct way to raise a child. It really depends on a multitude of factors---you and your girl's beliefs, the child's personality, etc... Just make sure that the child is always clean, fed, safe, and has tons of attention---also, you WILL get annoyed with waking up at 3am, the crying, the shitting, etc...but, for christ's sake, Kyle, don't shake the little fucker or you'll be raising a little SimpleJake.

Building on that, I do recommend making sure that you have a babysitter (no one from this site) lined up that has a flexible schedule, because you 2 will need rest and time to decompress. Until then, enjoy the moments of peace that you 2 have now-----shit's about to get tough, but it's more than worth it!

Go online and read horror stories about what "bad parenting" is.  Figure that shit out and don't replicate it.  Look back on how you were raised.  Did some of it piss you off and not make any sense?  Then don't do that.  

Be patient.

Accept now that your hobbies are completely optional.  Swallow that bitter pill now.  Fucking raise your kids and give them the attention required to learn and become stable human beings.  Also, do your share of the "baby work" (diapers, etc).  But also stand up for yourself if others make things worse (in-laws, your own friends, etc.).  ((Personal example, my MIL asked my wife to help decorate her house the first week after giving birth instead of letting her rest))

Most of it is having the right mindset.  If you know you need 8 hours of sleep but have been missing out on TV/video games, get the sleep so you don't lose your temper when the baby JUST. WON'T. STOP. CRYING.

Early on, have a "go to" show to watch in those weird hours of the night when the baby needs to be rocked to sleep or be fed that bottle (or if you're lucky, your child will suck the tatas).

Meet her family, see what they are like, and then ask yourself is this a 18 year thing or a lifetime commitment with the woman.  Once you know what you want, ask her what she wants.  This conversation should be at least a weekend not 15 minutes.  Where are you going to live, how close are you to your family, how close is she to her family, is she happy in her career or is she gonna go back to school to study mushrooms (never mind she has that mastered already), are you willing to not be a traveling nurse prostitute, etc?  Remember people completely change every 7 years so you have to be compatible.  Tough conversation but you gotta have it cause you are going to be tied to her 18 years unless some tragedy happens before.

Kyle take it from someone with an 8 and a 7 year old. Nothing you do will prepare you or your wife for becoming parents. Own that fact right now and you'll save a ton of grief down the road. I have two recommendations:

1. Learn patience if you don't have it.

2. Sleep when the baby sleeps

4 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

but what the hell do i do I need to be doing to prep for this from a mans perspective?

I know it’s your MO to ask stuff on message board and your Dad may be out of your life but I would say go there if not.  Kinda what Dads are suppose to do.