Beddingfield: More Questions Than Answers After GB

Jonboy

With all due respect to Beddingfield and his experience...he doesn't know any more about the play call or the players' assignments than we do.

BB assumes that Marcus is supposed to read the entire field or go through a progression....which may or may not be the case.   We dont know.  If BB is correct, then Marcus made a good play...but he may have missed an even better opportunity, and the criticism is valid.

However...if Blake is mistaken and Marcus was keyed on the SS...then Marcus executed the play perfectly, which resulted in a big play.

Based on what we know about LeFleur's philosophy, I'd say the latter is more likely.  

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys are discussing the wrong thing in this thread. The right thing to notice is that Taylor was more wide open in the first drive under LaFleur than any WR the entirety of 2017. 

After watching the Mariota-to-Williams play a few times, I don't think it's a case of Marcus being asked to read the whole field pre-snap....or even half the field.  I don't think he had a route progr

Lol...already 4 pages arguing about the decision making of 1 pass that resulted in a 30 yard (?) gain on the first drive of a preseason game.   Never change TR....

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, nine said:

With all due respect to Beddingfield and his experience...he doesn't know any more about the play call or the players' assignments than we do.

BB assumes that Marcus is supposed to read the entire field or go through a progression....which may or may not be the case.   We dont know.  If BB is correct, then Marcus made a good play...but he may have missed an even better opportunity, and the criticism is valid.

However...if Blake is mistaken and Marcus was keyed on the SS...then Marcus executed the play perfectly, which resulted in a big play.

Based on what we know about LeFleur's philosophy, I'd say the latter is more likely.  

I'm going to lean towards believing the scout who helped draft him on this one.

4 hours ago, nine said:

After watching the Mariota-to-Williams play a few times, I don't think it's a case of Marcus being asked to read the whole field pre-snap....or even half the field.  I don't think he had a route progression of first/second/third reads.  I believe the design of this play gives the QB a very specific and simple read: he keys on a single defender.....and that defender's actions determine where the ball goes.

On this play, Marcus is keying the SS.   When the ball is snapped, the play design forces the SS to quickly show his hand and declare his role:  he's either sitting back and staying over the top, or he comes downhill to defend the crossing route.    The instant that SS commits to going one way, the ball goes the opposite way.

On this play, the SS comes running in to defend the crossing route.   The instant he drops his hips and starts coming downhill, that's Marcus' cue:   the ball is out of his hand and hitting the slant route with no defender over the top.   If the receiver can get a step and beat his guy, he's off to the races....which is exactly what happened.

However....if the QB sees that SS sitting back and staying over the top on the slant roue, then the ball goes to the WR running the crossing route the opposite way. 

IMO, this play isn't about the QB going through a progression....and it's really not even a matter of making the right or wrong read.   It's about keying on a single player and letting that defender make the decision for you.   If the defender does A....throw to B.  If the defender does B....throw to A.

From the day the new coaching staff walked in the door, they've emphasized the importance of simplifying things and allowing players to focus on execution and playing fast rather than making multiple reads and thinking too much.   It's also been understood that the passing game would lean heavily on quick and clearly defined reads;   this play was a perfect example of both philosophies.

The read was very simple, very quick, and very clearly defined.......and very successful.

Damn why they paying Beddingfield for lmao

Of course Beddibgfield knows more about NFL offenses and play calling than us. It looks fairly obvious the better choice was the wide open crossing route. He also bailed from the pocket too soon I saw one other time. It’s not a big deal. We’ll see him more this preseason and then the regular season to judge him better 

16 minutes ago, nine said:

We have guys here like you who know football well enough to see that was a great play.  These writers want to sell their media, so they look to create controversial opinions.  I don't mean they are knocking the team, they just want to get viewers.

I would have been more impressed if BB had pointed out only one other QB in the AFC South could even make that read and throw that fast. He could have used some examples of throws Brady and ARod have made.  That's not being a homer either, fans need to recognize the Titans talent.  

24 minutes ago, KingTitan8 said:

Mariota could throw the game wining TD pass in the Super Bowl and people would say “He had the second read open though”

No we'd be saying we won the Super Bowl. 

Right now it's preseason and we're looking at a new offense. So it's analyzed.

22 hours ago, big2033 said:

It's not a big deal. Beddingfield is our former scout for fucks sakes. That's what he's paid to do.

The biggest value that Blake brings to the table now is the fact he has an insider's point of view on inner workings and processes. But his game analysis where he makes assumptions based off his own opinions is a take it or leave it proposition, just like anyone else who might have written the same thing.

Ask yourself this: what would your opinion be of Ruston Webster's takes if he were brought in to write for Kuharsky's website on the decisions that JRob has made? How much weight would you give to his Monday Morning GMing?

Beddingfield's opinions carry more weight than Joe Schmo citizen, but that doesn't mean he can't be off or wrong in his takes. After all, if had been right more often he'd probably still have his job.

3 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

The biggest value that Blake brings to the table now is the fact he has an insider's point of view on inner workings and processes. But his game analysis where he makes assumptions based off his own opinions is a take it or leave it proposition, just like anyone else who might have written the same thing.

Ask yourself this: what would your opinion be of Ruston Webster's takes if he were brought in to write for Kuharsky's website on the decisions that JRob has made? How much weight would you give to his Monday Morning GMing?

Beddingfield's opinions carry more weight than Joe Schmo citizen, but that doesn't mean he can't be off or wrong in his takes. After all, if had been right more often he'd probably still have his job.

I'd give it a lot of weight because he not only knows how a GM's job works but he knows people in the building.

Beddingfield not only knows Mariota, he knows people in the building and likely a lot of the stuff they're still using in the playbook of the previous regime.

Your attempts to act like he's flying blind here is a bit far fetched.

Edited by big2033

43 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I'm going to lean towards believing the scout who helped draft him on this one.

I never like saying a QB should've went elsewhere with the ball without knowing the intent of the play, what he was seeing, etc. So I question BB here. That said I always love how fans can totally write off a 10-20 year scouts opinion because he was recently fired in an industry where the shelf life is about 2 years. The guy was considered a friggin GM candidate for crissakes.