Jump to content
tgo

LaFleur Interview

Recommended Posts

tgo   

Listening to him talk about formations on the radio. 

 

He said they're going to use a lot of bunch/stack formations and it's important to do that in order to have more room to spread out the defense and create action in the open spaces. He called it "condense to expand." Sound familiar?

 

Sounded exactly like Mularkey's philosophy. 

 

Obviously there will be a lot of nuanced differences and LaFleur will bring different elements as well, not saying the offense will be the same. It'll be different in a lot of ways (zone blocking game, using levels and spacing to create open receivers, different routes, more screens, more high percentage throws, etc.). But this is something that really irked people about Mularkey, and LaFleur is preaching the same concepts regarding bunch formations. 

 

But we already knew this, because the Rams ran a bunch of that last year and LaFleur is running considerably more here now with our personnel. 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   

I'll post the link when it comes up. Good interview that covers several topics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They love Taywan on the outside. Mentioned his ability to take the top off the coverage 2 or 3 times.

 

I don't know what the depth chart looks like when Matthews gets back, but I imagine, based on that interview, that we'll see a lot of Matthews in the slot with Taylor and Davis on the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
japan   
Just now, NashvilleNinja said:

They love Taywan on the outside. Mentioned his ability to take the top off the coverage 2 or 3 times.

 

I don't know what the depth chart looks like when Matthews gets back, but I imagine, based on that interview, that we'll see a lot of Matthews in the slot with Taylor and Davis on the outside.

I bet you see a lot of Davis in the slot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, japan said:

I bet you see a lot of Davis in the slot. 

Could be. He did a lot in the slot at Western Mich. But Matthews played in the slot in Miami a bit, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
7 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

They love Taywan on the outside. Mentioned his ability to take the top off the coverage 2 or 3 times.

 

I don't know what the depth chart looks like when Matthews gets back, but I imagine, based on that interview, that we'll see a lot of Matthews in the slot with Taylor and Davis on the outside.

Yeah, sounds like they're looking at Taywan exclusively outside because of his skillset and also not to overload him in the first year of the new offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our WR corps is too dogshit at route running for them to be super effective outside of Matthews.

 

Should be balanced formations with this corps. Let them use their physical ability over precision route running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yes, it was a critique last year because they never expanded into space. Tons of times the routes would overlap one another. We also had several times where a WR was blocking a LB 1v1.They didn’t use Henry in any zone running (less than ten zone carries the whole year). And who can forget the consistent play action with two routes? If we start to see any of that again it will again be a criticism. 

It's almost like how you implement the same concepts everyone uses is meaningful. I mean ... play designs that work individually and when meshed with the rest of the offense and then playcalling them with flow and tempo ... it kind of matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scine09   
53 minutes ago, tgo said:

Listening to him talk about formations on the radio. 

 

He said they're going to use a lot of bunch/stack formations and it's important to do that in order to have more room to spread out the defense and create action in the open spaces. He called it "condense to expand." Sound familiar?

 

Sounded exactly like Mularkey's philosophy. 

 

Obviously there will be a lot of nuanced differences and LaFleur will bring different elements as well, not saying the offense will be the same. It'll be different in a lot of ways (zone blocking game, using levels and spacing to create open receivers, different routes, more screens, more high percentage throws, etc.). But this is something that really irked people about Mularkey, and LaFleur is preaching the same concepts regarding bunch formations. 

 

But we already knew this, because the Rams ran a bunch of that last year and LaFleur is running considerably more here now with our personnel. 

The bunch that the Rams ran and what the Titans ran were completely different.  The Rams were all about creating space for the receivers to get open.  That's not at all what the Titans were doing.

 

Nice try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

The bunch that the Rams ran and what the Titans ran were completely different.  The Rams were all about creating space for the receivers to get open.  That's not at all what the Titans were doing.

 

Nice try.

Oh ok, I see. The Titans wanted their receivers to not be open. Mularkey was actually so stupid that he didn't even understand that receivers should get open in space.  

 

Now I get it. 

 

Actually though, Mularkey talked multiple times about using bunch formations to get receivers open in space. 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

Mularkey did use bunch WRs but his philosophy was "bunch and condense" rather than bunch and expand......if they went out for a pass.

Some of the time the WRs were looking to block LBs or trap DL guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
1 hour ago, tgo said:

Listening to him talk about formations on the radio. 

 

He said they're going to use a lot of bunch/stack formations and it's important to do that in order to have more room to spread out the defense and create action in the open spaces. He called it "condense to expand." Sound familiar?

 

Sounded exactly like Mularkey's philosophy. 

 

Obviously there will be a lot of nuanced differences and LaFleur will bring different elements as well, not saying the offense will be the same. It'll be different in a lot of ways (zone blocking game, using levels and spacing to create open receivers, different routes, more screens, more high percentage throws, etc.). But this is something that really irked people about Mularkey, and LaFleur is preaching the same concepts regarding bunch formations. 

 

But we already knew this, because the Rams ran a bunch of that last year and LaFleur is running considerably more here now with our personnel. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

Mularkey did use bunch WRs but his philosophy was "bunch and condense" rather than bunch and expand......if they went out for a pass.

Some of the time the WRs were looking to block LBs or trap DL guys. 

That's not what he said every time he talked about bunch formations. Kuharsky did a whole article about this with quotes from Mularkey and Robiskie both talking about creating space with bunch formations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×