Paul Manafort Trial starting right now

Legaltitan

Just so everyone is clear, this is the case in the ED Va (the one Trump folks told us would probably be dismissed because the Judge totally smacked Mueller and his team down!  yeah not so much).

This is the case involving money laundering and other stuff. It does not involve ANYTHING related to the Russian attack of the election. That is all the subject of the case scheduled to go forward in a couple of months in the DC district court. The parties have, in fact, agreed not to even talk about Russians and stuff in this trial.

It will probably take them forever to get the jury picked, but once it gets going after that I'll see if I can find a link to blog.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It really is so refreshing to see all of these hard core right wing Republicans all of a sudden have concern for prosecutorial overreach and criminal justice reform. lol they bitch and whine about a f

Goodness Ben has to be the worst supporter you can imagine. Simple negation and gaslighting. Just nonsense stuff that's so absurd you disagree with him even more when he's done. It invokes laughter mo

Manafort plea deal includes forfeiture to the government of $46m in assets. Mueller to date has spent under $20m on his investigation.   The dude is locking up bad guys, draining the swamp a

Posted Images

Fake news! Manafort was only with the Trump campaign for 4 months! Witch hunt! This case will have some bleed over to the Russian meddling because of overlapping testimony and evidence (possibly from Gates) They may not have a reason to use it in this prosecution but Mueller will be paying very close attention.

19 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

This case will have some bleed over to the Russian meddling because of overlapping testimony and evidence (possibly from Gates) There will be no evidence on any of the hacking or collusion issues. Per Judge's Order, and both parties agreed to this. They may not have a reason to use it in this prosecution but Mueller will be paying very close attention. This is part of Mueller's team prosecuting this.

21 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Dang apparently they already had a jury in the box by 3:00. Thought jury selection would take much longer.

This Judge must run a pretty tight ship.

Strike one against conventional wisdom. Many legal experts were opinning that the jury would take a very long time. 

Does this imply most of the jury pool have no opinion on Manafort and/or do not know who he is. 

Edited by 9 Nines

1 minute ago, 9 Nines said:

Does this imply most of the jury pool have no opinion on Manafort and/or do not know who he is. 

I think it is much more a reflection of the judge and how he handles voire dire than anything else. Many federal Judges don't allow for alot of voire dire and really limit what the attorneys are allowed to do, and I suspect this Judge is cut from that cloth. 

They evidently weren't too worried about folks being struck for cause because the entire panel was only like 65 or so jurors I think I read.

4 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Lol in opening statements the Prosecution attorney pointed out Manafort has an ostrich skin jacket.

Reminds me of the Simpsons where Burns steals the puppies, and has that song about "See my vest!"

Does that indicate that the case is weak so they need to make the jury jealous/envy of him or it something like that normal?

Edited by 9 Nines

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

Does that indicate that the case is weak so they need to make the jury jealous/envy of him or it something like that normal?

Not at all. I have no idea what they're thinking of course but no. It was in a long list of the lavish lifestyle manafort supported with his I'll gotten gains. It's about painting a picture. Ostrich skin is a great symbol because it's not only ridiculous, it's from a ridiculous bird and it looks weird and it's a very tactile image with the bumps on the skin. Stuff like that is effective.