Thoughts on offense

OILERMAN

Superhorn‏ @Super_Horn 4h4 hours ago

It’s just preseason, but Taywan’s play last night just reinforces issues with previous Titans staff. Good coaches find ways to get good players the ball. Coaches often unnecessarily complicate this issue. Bottom line, it’s their job to find a way.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can only assume #11 must be HUGE...

Because if it's all the same then everyone who wanted a coaching change and everyone who criticized last year's offense were off their rockers. I mean, for fuck's sake... Robiskie and LaFleur are prac

We haven’t established that, doofus    you’re saying chocolate cake and whole wheat bread are the same because they both have eggs, milk, butter, and flour.    Don’t be retarded. 

Posted Images

I'm optimistic we'll have a better offense than it was under Mularkey.

However, I'll continue to occasionally troll by painting things with the same wide brush many painted Mularkey.

At the time, the thinking was, running-team identity = bad and archaic.

When it's great for a team with a young QB and young players trying to rebuild. Also there are plenty of teams who found success starting from this foundation.

Mularkey's ability to adapt from there was always the question, the original plan was a good one for the team we had at the time. We all know why he got fired in year two.

Mularkey had problems, deserved to be fired, but the attitude that he squandered a Super Bowl team with a run-first identity is ridiculous.

Edited by big2033

I don't know why people would think we're not going to emphasize running the ball. LaFleur learned under Kubiak, Shanahan, and McVay. Arian Foster, Todd Gurley, Devonta Freeman, etc didn't get all those rushing yards out of nowhere.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Why weren’t  Davis, Taylor and Smith 2nd year players last year under Mularkey? Terrible player management!!

Also Mularkey got nothing out of Dion Lewis!

These excuses are great.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Why weren’t  Davis, Taylor and Smith 2nd year players last year under Mularkey? Terrible player management!!

Also Mularkey got nothing out of Dion Lewis!

No doubt Taylor didn’t know what he was doing last year on the field. I still wonder how much he knows of this new offense. But I think Superhorns point is that with the lack of speed on offense last year, you insert Taylor for simple no brainer plays. Get him the ball in space on a handful of plays during a game. Maybe he pops one or two then you can use him as a decoy or something. Mularkey just had the guy running intermediate option routes where several times he wasn’t even looking for the ball. 

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

I'm optimistic we'll have a better offense than it was under Mularkey.

However, I'll continue to occasionally troll by painting things with the same wide brush many painted Mularkey.

At the time, the thinking was, running-team identity = bad and archaic.

When it's great for a team with a young QB and young players trying to rebuild. Also there are plenty of teams who found success starting from this foundation.

Mularkey's ability to adapt from there was always the question, the original plan was a good one for the team we had at the time. We all know why he got fired in year two.

Mularkey had problems, deserved to be fired, but the attitude that he squandered a Super Bowl team with a run-first identity is ridiculous.

Good points but who’s been maintaining that this LaFleur offense was going to be throwing the ball all over the place? Strawman? We all discussed that the Shanny system produces huge running games. Old man Shanny used to pull guys off the street and they would be having monster games running the ball. 

Edited by japan

58 minutes ago, japan said:

Good points but who’s been maintaining that this LaFleur offense was going to be throwing the ball all over the place? Strawman? We all discussed that the Shanny system produces huge running games. Old man Shanny used to pull guys off the street and they would be having monster games running the ball. 

This is more about the original thinking. People tried to paint Mularkey's original idea for the offense as a disaster waiting to happen. When they were really just coming from a place of being angry and biased regarding a mediocre hire. Which it 100% was.

Without bias, the original plan and foundation was a good one, deserved some optimism, and equaled success: It opened HUGE running lanes as well.

The problem was the transition to year two and if we could expand past our foundation.

Now that our hire is a bit more interesting and "young" suddenly this foundation seems to make sense. Suddenly bunch formations aren't so bad. Suddenly splitting Fluellen out wide is inspired. Suddenly Mariota predominantly under center makes sense.

Anyway ... I definitely like LaFluer's thinking and believe they'll bring a lot more nuance to the run-first foundation as time goes by.

Edited by big2033

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

This is more about the original thinking. People tried to paint Mularkey's original idea for the offense as a disaster waiting to happen. When they were really just coming from a place of being angry and biased regarding a mediocre hire. Which it 100% was.

Without bias, the original plan and foundation was a good one, deserved some optimism, and equaled success: It opened HUGE running lanes as well.

The problem was the transition to year two and if we could expand past our foundation.

Now that our hire is a bit more interesting and "young" suddenly this foundation seems to make sense. Suddenly bunch formations aren't so bad. Suddenly splitting Fluellen out wide is inspired. Suddenly Mariota predominantly under center makes sense.

Anyway ... I definitely like LaFluer's thinking and believe they'll bring a lot more nuance to the run-first foundation as time goes by.

Youre still mostly off and creating strawmen like he accused you of. No one said it was a disaster waiting to happen. It was given decent opportunity once they admittedly altered things after the first 4 games of 2016. But It was just a straight disaster outside of 20% of the games over 2 years. 

People weren’t as upset about the hire as they were the search. They had 4 months and used none of them. 

No one was afraid of an offense that featured the run game. They were afraid of an offense that used trick plays and an offense that “enforced their will and forced their identity” regardless of its success doing so.

... And we were right.