DeMarco Murray: Marcus Mariota must take charge, be more vocal

EagleEye

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

while Vrabel won't help Mariota much schematically or mechanically wise, I can see Vrabel's Alpha personality rubbing off a bit on Marcus.

You think maybe Vrabel will tell him not to crawl to the media and say mama told me to apologize?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

McNair was never vocal, either, and his teammates followed him anyway. Mariota doesn’t need to be more vocal, he just needs to be a great passer and his arm will speak for him. 

I think it was fair criticism of him. I also think he will be more vocal this year. LaFleur has told him that he wants him to be vocal about the system and tell him what he likes and doesn’t like. And

Posted Images

"be a little more vocal and really take charge of the offense" is what he said.  It's up to the coaching staff to work with Marcus to have an offense he can take charge of.  That would give him a chance to be more vocal.

this is a coaching issue and thankfully they are gone.

7 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

A - We don't know that

B - The criticism very well could be that he did everything in private (this has absolutely nothing to do with media, but just not to the team and solely individuals as you put it yourself) to not step on toes

It's not some insult to say that he can do more even though we already know that the team will go to battle for him

Exactly. People are too defensive when it comes to him. Just be a bit more vocal about what works.

The defense came to him and pushed him to do that in the playoffs from what I remember. 

Now that  being said, he may not have to do that with LaFleur. 

Edited by big2033

If he wont tell the coaches when he does/doesnt like something... then its a problem. But I think from soundbites thats been proven to be untrue. 

If he doesnt Rah-Rah lead like Demarco Murray likes in his QBs... then who really gives a fuck? 

Give the man the same offense for two or more years in a row and he can start barking at everyone telling them where to be and what to read. Hard to do that when he's on his 3.75th offense going into his 4th year. 

55 minutes ago, Somedude said:

Steve wasn't vocal and lead by example. That's what Marcus does. As long as Marcus puts full effort into every game the locker room will follow him.

If everything you're doing 100% works for you. Then you don't have to say much. But if it doesn't, you should say something. It's obvious in some situations that Mariota wasn't comfortable - say something then. If not, then he should be fine at it and good at it.

2 hours ago, titanruss said:

If he doesnt Rah-Rah lead like Demarco Murray likes in his QBs... then who really gives a fuck? 

Where do you get that bit from? Being vocal isn't always about giving speeches

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Mariota had to suffer standing such limiting Robiskie's playbook. Murray must be referring to being more vocal with:

a) Coaches
b) Teammates
c) Both

Being a rookie has to be quite difficult, since you first need to show who you are, what you are made of and then start to weight-into being vocal with your coaches and/or teammates. Injuries also kept Mariota's out of this process. The PO game against KC, he really played no-holds-barred (same with DH) and in that game he showed what type of level and leader he has and he is.

It's my take that Mariota is surrounded by the Coaches required, he has been doing extra-work with the WR's. He counts with the lockeroom appreciation. Facts talk louder than one thousand words.

7 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I think it was fair criticism of him. I also think he will be more vocal this year. LaFleur has told him that he wants him to be vocal about the system and tell him what he likes and doesn’t like. And Marcus himself has said that they have a great relationship.  I got the impression from multiple players during the season that Mularkey and Robiskie were stubborn and reluctant to make any changes to their scheme. That probably kept him quiet. Murray even alluded to it in this interview by saying he think Marcus will do great in the new system. These coaches seem more approachable to me. 

I watched an old hard knocks of the Falcons.  Robiskie was the wrs coach.  At one point, a couple of players upset him.  He bragged about how he was going to get those two ---- during practice the next day.  Not a teaching moment of coming one on one, explain what's wrong and what's expected.  Just punishment.

Edited by Number9

If anything I think it was a compliment. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I probably agree with Murray, I think Marcus could be a bit more take charge. But he's also young, and you have to earn it on the field for a few years before barking at guys. If anybody remembers Brady his first few years he was an "aw shucks" kinda guy. Now he's a serial killer.

And there's definitely some revisionist history with McNair. He wasn't exactly a leader. He didn't practice very seriously, wasn't a film junkie, and quite frankly didnt really love football by all accounts. He was tough as hell on the field though he probably would've been healthier had he taken better care of his body. The players & fans loved McNair because he won & performed well on the field. At the end of the day it's about making the throws & plays on the field. 

Edited by Face