Dan Orlovsky breaks down Mariota in the LaFleur offense on @GMFB thursday morning

On 6/21/2018 at 2:25 AM, OILERMAN said:

Remember the 2016 opener when Mariota single handedly lost the game with the ridiculous unforced turnovers? Mularkey's first game and the wolves came out over the scheme. I'll be more patient than that. 

what a terrible fucking game called by the coaches. that was embarrassing. 

and yes, mariota threw a bad ball in his 13th game of his career. 

the fumble was completely on murray and happened 2 more times that season and one reason he was never allowed to run read-option plays. because he didnt know how to take handoffs. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was everything you think of with an OC, minus playcalling and plus extra focus on QB development and offense design. That's not a bad thing.

I agree that coaches are overrated in general. But they're far from irrelevant. HC are like CEOs. A CEO may not know shit about computer programming or networking but a good CEO will hire a competent

Of course it would take Orlovsky 18 months to learn that offense. It took him 8 years to learn not to run out of the back of your own end zone. 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Face said:

Well that's sort've the problem, a lot of the prior staff's running & trick plays just had too many moving parts. Sure, they were very well drawn up, but so were a lot of Mike Martz passing plays, for example. When there's so many things that need to happen for a play to work, you greatly increase the chances of just one guy making a mistake & blowing the play up.

I personally was much higher on the offensive scheme then most, until the 2nd half of last year, but this was one of the things that bothered me. For a staff that wanted to be a power team they were way too cute with their ground game.

K.I.S.S. principal. 

keep it simple, stupid. 

rarely if ever does beautifully complicated work. 

sure, you have the same scheme and players and staff for 15 years and you can run whatever you want and it be incredible to watch. thats pretty much only happened with the Pats/steelers to some degree and they change scheme up frequently and run some of the most basic stuff in the NFL - they just do it incredibly well. 

do the little and simple things great first... then you add complications. Mularkey was too dumb to do that. he thought you start with the crazy stuff to throw them off for the easy stuff and make the easy stuff bigger gainers than it normally would be. 

its a nice theory but just doesnt work like that. 

9 minutes ago, titanruss said:

K.I.S.S. principal. 

keep it simple, stupid. 

rarely if ever does beautifully complicated work. 

sure, you have the same scheme and players and staff for 15 years and you can run whatever you want and it be incredible to watch. thats pretty much only happened with the Pats/steelers to some degree and they change scheme up frequently and run some of the most basic stuff in the NFL - they just do it incredibly well. 

do the little and simple things great first... then you add complications. Mularkey was too dumb to do that. he thought you start with the crazy stuff to throw them off for the easy stuff and make the easy stuff bigger gainers than it normally would be. 

its a nice theory but just doesnt work like that. 

Mularkey has always had an obsession with trick plays, the guys nickname was Inspector Gadget for Pete's sake. He ran a bunch back in the day with Antwan Randle-El, who played QB in college. He hit a bunch of them. The problem is when you're known as the "trick play" guy, defenses are cognizant of it, and the sole srength of the play, the "trick", is no  longer a factor. So you have to get more & more creative, rather then just doing a simple hand off pass, or whatever. And I think he in turn tried to add a bit of a "trick" factor into the running game. Numerous analysts last year said it drove them nuts how many moving parts the running game had.

4 hours ago, patsplat said:

In retrospect that was a great play call, and for the line to miss blocks like that is pathetic.

Edit: plus Matthews runs inside towards the unblocked help instead of outside or through a gap.  What's sad is the thinking was there but not the execution.

I hear what you're saying, but it was unnecessary.  They should have just run a normal play.  They had been moving the ball at will at the time.

That staff got way too cute in short yardage situations, particularly near the goalline.  I don't believe they ever successfully completed a 2-point play under Mularkey.

Edited by scine09

3 hours ago, titanruss said:

what a terrible fucking game called by the coaches. that was embarrassing. 

and yes, mariota threw a bad ball in his 13th game of his career. 

the fumble was completely on murray and happened 2 more times that season and one reason he was never allowed to run read-option plays. because he didnt know how to take handoffs. 

It was a bad throw but the playcall was terrible.  Yes, you're moving the ball up and down the field, with the lead, let's call a rollout to one side only to throw the ball across his body to the slowest WR on the team.

A smart coaching staff just continues to let the momentum carry them.  There was absolutely no reason for that call.  He was picking them apart on that drive.  And it wasn't the first time in that game that the staff called a ridiculous momentum killing play.  

And you're right, the fumble was on Murray.

there is a bit of Titans conversation mixed throughout this Move the Sticks podcast, both Jeremiah and Brooks absolutely rave about LaFleur, mentioned if Mariota has a half decent season this year that LaFleur will get a HC gig next offseason, there is a lot of buzz around league circles for him and the fact he has come out of the Shanahan/McVay coaching tree.

also they have the Titans as the 5th most improved offense.

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

It was a bad throw but the playcall was terrible.  Yes, you're moving the ball up and down the field, with the lead, let's call a rollout to one side only to throw the ball across his body to the slowest WR on the team.

A smart coaching staff just continues to let the momentum carry them.  There was absolutely no reason for that call.  He was picking them apart on that drive.  And it wasn't the first time in that game that the staff called a ridiculous momentum killing play.  

And you're right, the fumble was on Murray.

the thing im most glad about is the staff not killing drives with shit like that. they run normal plays great, they move the ball and have defenses on their heels... then they run a surprise play they practiced 2x (or no times) and all the flow and fluidity goes away. i'd love to go back and count how many times they worked. i bet it was a crappy percentage.

58 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

there is a bit of Titans conversation mixed throughout this Move the Sticks podcast, both Jeremiah and Brooks absolutely rave about LaFleur, mentioned if Mariota has a half decent season this year that LaFleur will get a HC gig next offseason, there is a lot of buzz around league circles for him and the fact he has come out of the Shanahan/McVay coaching tree.

also they have the Titans as the 5th most improved offense.

it would be nice to see mariota have the same OC for 2 years that was decent. 

also.. leaving after 1 year? who would we get to replace him? how do we maintain continuity?

32 minutes ago, titanruss said:

the thing im most glad about is the staff not killing drives with shit like that. they run normal plays great, they move the ball and have defenses on their heels... then they run a surprise play they practiced 2x (or no times) and all the flow and fluidity goes away. i'd love to go back and count how many times they worked. i bet it was a crappy percentage.

I bet there are plays that would be considered trick plays that we didn't even realize were trick plays (involving the run game).

I'd love to know of all Mariota's INT's in the 2 years under Mularkey (I'm not counting the games in 2015 since it wasn't his offense yet) were a result of the 2-man route in which he felt the need to force the ball since absolutely no one was open or a screw-up by the WR in the route since it seems like the routes were complicated.  We know he had at least 2 last year that were the fault of the WR (AZ and KC) and I can think back to a few of his INT's that were definitely from the 2-man route.

And it wasn't just turnovers that the 2-man route caused.  It likely causes more throwaways/wasted plays.  Remember that GIF from the Oakland game in 2016 where we were able to count 2 guys downfield and like 3 TE's blocking?  I'd venture that was more of the norm than we even knew.

How about that brilliant play when it was like 3rd and long and he had 4 WR's curl 4 yards in?  Again, probably more of the norm than we even knew.

It all came to a head in the Arizona game but I'm sure that Robinson had had enough well before then.  There's a reason that the rumors of Mularkey's job status had started before the playoffs even began.  Robinson knew that he had to go.  I'm sure he also knew that Mularkey never should have been hired but that's beside the point.  Mariota was so advanced as a passer in Whisenhunt's offense that he didn't need a coach to baby Mariota.  He could have handled a complex passing game.

41 minutes ago, titanruss said:

it would be nice to see mariota have the same OC for 2 years that was decent. 

also.. leaving after 1 year? who would we get to replace him? how do we maintain continuity?

I'd say if LaFleur does leave then they find someone else in the Shanahan tree.  There's likely several young coaches who could come in and call similar plays to what LaFleur will call.  But Mariota needs to remain in this offense.  The last thing he needs is for LaFleur to leave and for some coach to come in who calls a Norv Turner style of offense.  

Edited by scine09

12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

LaFluer has never been an OC, way too early to panic about losing him 

Yeah, let the guy call plays and run an offense first. 

I think the young coach trend is stirring the media up looking for stories. 

9 hours ago, FRT said:

Nah, this year really means nothing for Watson.  Gotta wait for year 5 right?  RIGHT???????

Nah, year 2 will tell a lot. It told us that VY was a bum.