Gil Brandt's Greatest NFL QB's of all time

Number9

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815754

First, it's nearly impossible to judge players from different eras.  Each generation apart makes it even harder.  Could Muhammed Ali beat Jack Johnson?  Totally different competition, body type, conditioning, diet and mental planning.  It's like that with any sport.  Football players used to smoke cigarettes and drink beer during halftime.  A player caught doing that at halftime today would be sent home or at least receive a severe warning.

That said, I don't agree with #2.  Also, there are too many Cowboys on the list.  I wonder why.

Edited by Number9

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

http://www.titansreport.com/forum/4-titans-and-nfl-talk/#

First, it's nearly impossible to judge players from different eras.  Each generation apart makes it even harder.  Could Muhammed Ali beat Jack Johnson?  Totally different competition, body type, conditioning, diet and mental planning.  It's like that with any sport.  Football players used to smoke cigarettes and drink beer during halftime.  A player caught doing that at halftime today would be sent home or at least receive a severe warning.

That said, I don't agree with #2.  Also, there are too many Cowboys on the list.  I wonder why.

Wrong link! Mind updating?

I guarantee you he simply forgot Steve Young existed when he made this list. Doesn't look like much thought went into it; he probably looked at a list of QBs with stats, and just slotted them in haphazardly. 

Also, I'm always amazed at how much John Elway's status changed over the years. I remember at the end of his career before the Superbowl runs, Elway wasn't considered nearly as highly. Marino and Favre were easily considered much better overall QBs. Those wins at the end changed his stat sheet, and he's progressively become more loved as the years go by. 

On 6/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, scine09 said:

Jim Kelly, Warren Moon and Troy Aikman don't belong anywhere near that list.

Where is Steve Young???

LOL at Moon being higher then Brees & even Favre being 8th. Kelly isn't even close. The only thing against Young was the duration of his career, he didn't take over until he was around 30. But his prime years were so off the charts I'd place him in the top 5 & frankly I'm not sure he wouldn't be my #1 if the criteria was solely a QB's best 4-5 years. His YPA was just insane in his prime. With his athletic ability he might've been close to the perfect QB.

Id also put Warner in there for the same reasons.

6 hours ago, Face said:

LOL at Moon being higher then Brees & even Favre being 8th. Kelly isn't even close. The only thing against Young was the duration of his career, he didn't take over until he was around 30. But his prime years were so off the charts I'd place him in the top 5 & frankly I'm not sure he wouldn't be my #1 if the criteria was solely a QB's best 4-5 years. His YPA was just insane in his prime. With his athletic ability he might've been close to the perfect QB.

Id also put Warner in there for the same reasons.

Yeah I'd take Warner above all 3 of the guys I mentioned even though he didn't do it for as long as the others at a high level.

Just curious, do you think Favre is too high or too low?  I don't think he's a top 10 QB and always felt that he was vastly overrated.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Steve Young led the NFL in passer rating in 6 of 7 seasons. He led the league in TD passes 3 seasons in a row in that stretch. 

I'd personally take him over anyone

In his prime he was as unstoppable as any QB there was because of his athletic ability coupled with how great a passer he was.

20 hours ago, cenj said:

I guarantee you he simply forgot Steve Young existed when he made this list. Doesn't look like much thought went into it; he probably looked at a list of QBs with stats, and just slotted them in haphazardly. 

Also, I'm always amazed at how much John Elway's status changed over the years. I remember at the end of his career before the Superbowl runs, Elway wasn't considered nearly as highly. Marino and Favre were easily considered much better overall QBs. Those wins at the end changed his stat sheet, and he's progressively become more loved as the years go by. 

Elway was great.  He was Lebron James like, single handedly (as much as one player can in the NFL) took Denver to a couple of superbowls.   He didn't have the gaudy stats, but he also didn't have much around him until the end of his career.

Montana easily over Manning.   Young should be on the list, but gets dinged for not having the career stats.