around the NFL offseason talk

following on from hinting about retiring in the final episode of Tom vs Time, Brady in an interview with Oprah has once again suggested the end is near for him.

he is no longer talking about wanting to play into the mid 40's, wouldn't be at all stunned if this is his final year in the NFL.

there is going to be a window opening up soon in the AFC where there isn't a dominant team anymore.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True, but elite LTs aren’t available often and we were going to need a new one soon. This is why drafting the best player rather than for immediate need is often the right decision.    Titan

the cult like conviction the NFL media has that DeShaun Watson will just come out and replicate what he did last year is irrational, coming off his 2nd ACL injury he simply won't be as mobile early th

Jake Matthews is pretty damn shaky and not close to Lewan 

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

At some point, his play is going to drop off hard.  Everybody thinks this one is going to be different but they never are.  He's had an incredible career.

Remember that time Marino became Jamarcus Russel? I remember.

ESPN did their annual 5 in 5 out series this week, where they polled all their NFL analysts to predict which 5 teams that didn't make the playoffs last year will this year, and then to counter that the 5 teams that made the playoffs last year that will miss out this year.

teams in

Texans

Chargers

Packers

Ravens

49ers

teams out

Panthers

Titans

Bills

Chiefs

Falcons

no idea how they came to the conclusion that the Ravens would be one of the best 6 teams in the AFC, personally I think they are closer to a top 5 pick than they are to making the playoffs.

also a little surprised they have the Falcons missing the playoffs, even though the NFC is loaded, still think the Falcons are one of the best 6 teams in the NFC.

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I forget who but yesterday someone said the Titans would miss the playoffs but didn't say why

the majority of the national NFL media have us missing the playoffs, with both the Jags/Texans making the playoffs out of the AFC South.

Rookie HC, new system, QB coming off a down year regardless of team success.  I get why they are down on the Titans.

It's like this every year though.  They have no clue and when the season starts, outside of the one or top two sure-fire teams, the rest of this stuff is pure guesswork on their end so they go with the best run organizations and the best QBs every year.  They don't know these rosters and most of the "professional" opinions aren't all that professional.

Any statistician worth his salt knows the Jags will be an 8-8 team at best this year.

They relied to heavily on defensive TDs. That won’t be as off the charts this year. Their O won’t be able to make up for that big swing in points losing their WRs.

Jags will be battling for the bottom with the colts unless Andy Fuck shows up this year.

6 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

ESPN did their annual 5 in 5 out series this week, where they polled all their NFL analysts to predict which 5 teams that didn't make the playoffs last year will this year, and then to counter that the 5 teams that made the playoffs last year that will miss out this year.

teams in

Texans

Chargers

Packers

Ravens

49ers

teams out

Panthers

Titans

Bills

Chiefs

Falcons

no idea how they came to the conclusion that the Ravens would be one of the best 6 teams in the AFC, personally I think they are closer to a top 5 pick than they are to making the playoffs.

also a little surprised they have the Falcons missing the playoffs, even though the NFC is loaded, still think the Falcons are one of the best 6 teams in the NFC.

I saw the segment.  Considering they have to boot out 5 teams the Titans of course are gonna make that list.  Also the NFC teams were in general better teams than the AFC so they kicked out 3 AFC teams.

And then when you go to fill those vacancies you really don't have much to choose from.   The  Chargers and Ravens were the only 2 teams that had a winning record last year.  The rest really didn't even sniff 8-8...Bengals the closest at 7-9.  The 4-12 Texans get in of course because they are getting back maybe the greatest QB to play the game.

All and all they were pretty neutral on the Titans mostly indicating that they gotta get rid of somebody so might as well be the Titans.

55 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Any statistician worth his salt knows the Jags will be an 8-8 team at best this year.

They relied to heavily on defensive TDs. That won’t be as off the charts this year. Their O won’t be able to make up for that big swing in points losing their WRs.

Jags will be battling for the bottom with the colts unless Andy Fuck shows up this year.

I don’t think Jags will be as good as last year but they will still contend for the division and playoffs. Their defense will keep majority of their games close. 

32 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

I think the Jags have a chance of being one of the great defenses.  When the season started last year, I said the only thing holding them from being in the conversation was they didn't score points.  Last year, they started and they will keep doing it.  I'm not sure of any key losses, but Miles Jack started to come on last year.  Ramsey is elite vying for being the best CB in the NFL.  The biggest problem for everybody is if Bortles develops even more and starts being able to play even better under pressure.

I expect Houston to fall apart and Indy to never get out of the gate.  The Titans defense must jell quickly coming out of the gate for us to keep pace with the Jaguars.

4 hours ago, Justafan said:

Rookie HC, new system, QB coming off a down year regardless of team success.  I get why they are down on the Titans.

Ok, not knocking the OP but WOW.  I understand it’s some of the national media saying all the exact opposite of the majority on this board.

I could swear 80% of the posters were/are begging for new coach, new system and healthy MM.  And to a slightly lesser extent - give Henry the reins at RB with a good compliment in Lewis (or maybe more).

Vrabel really only has a couple ways he can mess up.  Trying to take on too much game game day responsibilities from his staff which I don’t think he will do and/or do a horrible job managing the clock ala FrankandBeans.

Other than a huge rash of injuries it all boils down to QB play.  I am sure this staff will put MM in the best position to be successful because JRob gets it.  While there are a few crazies that point out he’s not 100%, but no one is.

This of course brings it back to what every team in the NFL season is mostly based - QB play.

No excuses.

1 minute ago, FRT said:

Ok, not knocking the OP but WOW.  I understand it’s some of the national media saying all the exact opposite of the majority on this board.

I could swear 80% of the posters were/are begging for new coach, new system and healthy MM.  And to a slightly lesser extent - give Henry the reins at RB with a good compliment in Lewis (or maybe more).

Vrabel really only has a couple ways he can mess up.  Trying to take on too much game game day responsibilities from his staff which I don’t think he will do and/or do a horrible job managing the clock ala FrankandBeans.

Other than a huge rash of injuries it all boils down to QB play.  I am sure this staff will put MM in the best position to be successful because JRob gets it.  While there are a few crazies that point out he’s not 100%, but no one is.

This of course brings it back to what every team in the NFL season is mostly based - QB play.

No excuses.

I understand what you are saying and I was on board with a new coach and a new system after seeing the offense break down towards the end of last year.  Having said that, Mularkey wasn't hot garbage either and it's reasonable from the outside looking in to expect for the Titans to take a step backward this year as the team comes back together.

I don't think that will actually happen because I think the defense is going to be lights out and I think the offense will come along more than some here are predicting.  I also expect this offense to be far more effective in the running game than some here imagine and far less effective in the passing game than many of us would hope.  

Even if Marcus takes a step forward, it's difficult to look at where the offense as a whole is and say they are going to be really good this year.  Plus, the division, in my opinion, is going to be harder than last year.  The Titans aren't sneaking up on anyone this year and this division is hungry.  Every game is going to be a blood sport.

I still think the Titans have a very good chance to make the playoffs and compete with anyone but it's really tough to argue with the logic that national commentators use evaluating the Titans when they've been proven right year in and year out for a very long time by the organizations ineptitude and lack of perennial success.